BBQ Options?

Options
Reetz61
Reetz61 Posts: 8 Member
Hello all! I'm just starting my Keto journey - 2 weeks in and down 9.8 lbs. I feel motivated and energized, so I want to ride that wave. My husband and I typically eat out once or twice a week and while I've been avoiding that for now, if this is truly a lifestyle change, I know that's not a long term solution.

I love the idea of BBQ, but wonder if all that bbq sauce isn't loaded with sugar. How do you all handle that? Should I stick to dry rubs so I'm getting the flavorful protein without the sugar?

Thanks for all of your help! I've learned a lot over the last couple of weeks and with Labor Day weekend on the horizon, I'm thinking BBQ is in my future!

Replies

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do quite a bit of BBQing/smoking when I'm feeling up to it but I've never been a fan of sauce soaked meats. I've always preferred dry rubs, especially for things like briskets and pulled pork. I generally stick to simple rubs like salt and pepper or Goya Adobo seasoning instead. I also make a lot of Mexican style pork carnitas that's full of flavor and keto friendly and it can be done in the crock pot of you don't want to brave the summer heat.

However, I did discover a fairly good fairly low carb friendly sauce recipe a few years ago if - you can find it here : https://www.splenda.com/recipes/sweet-and-smoky-barbecue-sauce-recipe.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
  • iceneyes
    iceneyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Watch out for sugar in rubs too. Especially rib rubs can be loaded with brown sugar. Typically, brisket rub doesn't have sugar in it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Skip the bread and have some BBQ. Yes it may have some sugar carbs but I be careful of the added sauces. Anybody know what is the best choice? My instinct says mustard based but I have never checked the label, so new at this.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    BBQ Sauce, Carolina Mustard Style
    tbsp (35g )
    Calories from Fat 0. Calories 50.
    0% Total Fat 0g.
    0% Saturated Fat 0g.
    0% Cholesterol 0mg.
    14% Sodium 340mg.
    4% Total Carbohydrates 12g.

I guess I will be skipping this too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    As a 34 year North Carolinian (not native) THE best North Carolina Sauce is the EASTERN NC style (for pork). Hands down. Open the link and scroll down to the bottom to find the recipe and nutrition info. It's about right. The value of the ketchup is color. This one may be a little hotter than some prefer. Good BBQ joints usually have 2 bottles on their beat up, well worn tables or counter: 1 hot, 1 mild. 2 carbs. You don't need much. It's vinegar.

https://www.aforkstale.com/carolina-barbecue-sauce-recipe/

• LeLum5
    LeLum5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dry rub all the way! Thats what I do I jabe been on keto since Aug 1st and have bbq'd 2 weeks out of this month I grilled all my meat for the week including steak..ribs..chicken..sausage..hamburgers... It was a life saver and so easy with me trying to feed 4 children and my husband something we all like but is also in my diet! I love it... Also I would recommend trying cauliflower mac and cheese as a side dish to replace mac and cheese! My entire family loved it! You can find the recipe on youtube
  • Reetz61
    Reetz61 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input and now look forward to some good eats during this holiday weekend!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been using an Alabama white bbq sauce. It's mayonaisse based and vinegarry with just a little sweet. (I use Stevie or erythratol)