WW Plans

Options
Al_Howard
Al_Howard Posts: 7,978 Member
Are there some of us who have (or want to) revert to one of the older plans?
I lost well with PP, but this Freestyle has me stuck (with the way I live). Anyone find an online tracker for it?

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I could use PP now.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I loved PP and have disliked the plans since then. Pretty sure somebody talked about an app to track PP, but can't remember what it was.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,963 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind trying PP again myself.

SW 400.8
    CW 340.0😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

60.8 lbs Total lost
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,888 Member
    Options
    I would gladly go back to the plain old points system they had in 2006, don't want that cardboard slide rule calculator they had it was a pain compared to the phone app.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I know I've read of trackers available for Apple mobile devices. I'm guessing something's out there for Android too. The only advice I can recommend is checking the respective app locations (App Store and Google Play?). Good luck finding it (seriously!).
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,498 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of P+ too. I don't find the later plans to be an improvement at all.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,978 Member
    Options
    There's an Android app, WWPP that looks interesting. Need to load your oun foods, though.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,229 Member
    Options
    I realize it is counting calories rather than points; but, I have found the MFP app to be very, very useful.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I agree on PP. I did very well with it. I left WW after Smart Points except for a monthly Lifetimers meeting. I am trying Freestyle which was an upgrade of Smart Points, but still not in the same league as Points Plus and earlier programs. I think they could of reworked PP a bit rather than go in Smart Points/Freestyle direction which seems to be more of a marketing decision.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fan of PointsPlus. I found it to be a straightforward program and liked the ease of seeing the relative value of one food to another. That's not the case with SmartPoints or Freestyle.

Check out info on an app called iTrackBites. There's a review of it on snack-girl.com. I'm not attaching the link because I don't know if MFP would remove it. I've only glanced at this, but it looks like it's a basic app with options to add things like a recipe builder and food database.

Don't forget that on PointsPlus, a point was equal to 38 calories except for alcohol. I find that an easy rule of thumb to default to when needed.

I'm doing fine with MFP . . . as long as I track. Spending some time on the front-end setting up some recipes, importing others and finding good entries for commonly used foods was helpful. I had to do the same with PointsPlus.
  • susan092907
    susan092907 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've been using the iTrackBites app points plus copy for a couple of weeks. I used MFP for a few years after smartpoints came out. Then I tried WW Freestyle recently for a few months, but I found it to be as unworkable as smartpoints.

On iTrackBites, you can follow the WW Momentum Plan (called the Classic Plan), and Points Plus (called BitesPlus), in addition to Smartpoints, and for a fee - Freestyle.

So far, I'm very happy being back on a plan where food values are relative to calories, but without counting calories.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    @cakeman21k I’d forgotten that cardboard slide rule. :-)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    At the end of my meeting run last fall they almost seemed to come right out and say they wanted out of the weight loss business.

But you know, if we had taken our last dimes and bet it all on Oprah the day she got in WW, we would have done fabulously well. Guessing WW HQ isn’t looking to make big changes any time soon.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,229 Member
    Options
    This site has several WW points method calculators.

https://www.calculator.net/weight-watchers-points-calculator.html

The food db is up to you.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I liked the Smart Points plan that got me rid of my of last 80# (2016-17).
    Before that PPV got rid of 100#(2013-14) and -15# 2015 to NOT GAIN.
    So they all worked for me, I think the Plan depends more on the Person than the Plan.

If you work the Plan the Plan Works.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

Not in my case Jim. I tracked, weighed and measured faithfully for months on Freestyle and lost very minimally, maybe less than 1/2# a week average. It was very discouraging. And no, I was not eating an excessive amount of free foods.

And Emmie, I was just thinking about the 38cal=1 PP earlier today. I guess that's why tracking on MFP is working for me, though I did have to lower my calories allotted to get the scale to move.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Before PointsPlus there was Momentum. Which is the last plan to use the slide rule. Points plus utilized the calculator that looked like a birth control pill pack.

I found the Momentum plan the most effective for me. Both because of the 'reward' for fiber and because vegetables, but not fruits, were zero points. While it's true the 'fiberization' of foods got a little out of control (I think it was the FiberOne yogurt that officially put the fad over the top) the plan probably kept me focused on the healthiest food regimen I could muster and still managing my weight. Once I could replace celery with peaches, mangoes, oranges and whatever, I found it much more challenging to manage my caloric intake on the points plans.

BTW, I really liked that slide rule. And I miss it.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,547 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

I too would not be able to agree with this in my case. I had changed plans before without much problems. Without me changing how I was eating and on a long term weight loss trend, Smart Points suddenly would tell me I was eating too much. I could never get it to work for me and WL stalled. Eventually, I quit WW for MFP, except for a monthly lifetimers meeting. I am back with Freestyle for a few months now. Results are inconsistent. I haven't quite figured out how to "work the plan" though it seems doable. I never had to do that before. I am double tracking now to see the calories & nutrition as well.

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    [quote="Jimb376mfp;c-42550778"

If you work the Plan the Plan Works.[/quote]

I used to agree with this, but now I believe some plans have inherent problems that make them unsustainable long-term. I believe Freestyle fits this category.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Actually, the plan always works. Because there’s a little caveat in every version that basically tells you if you’re not losing weight you need to adjust the parameters. Whether it’s cutting back on 0 point foods or daily/weekly points or not adding in activity points, there is a recommendation to dial down caloric input.

What makes one plan more successful than another is how each plan frames the priorities of food content and eating behaviors.

The magic in magical thinking is about what magically speaks to the individual. (Yes, I did manage three versions of the same word in that sentence. Cool.)