Step It Up Sept 2018: Week 1 (9/1-9/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
Welcome to the September Basics Challenge!
I feel so strongly about how crucial this is, I'm having a Basics challenge every month.

Bah, basics! Entirely boring and unsexy, right?
Guess what though? It will get you to your goal. Basics aren't flashy or exciting, but this is how it's done.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Consistently nailing the basics is so important. And consistency creates good habits, routines, and gives you momentum that will carry you through hard times or disruptions to your normal schedule. Forget motivation. Motivation is a fickle thing. Discipline carries you through when motivation fails you.

So what are the basics?
Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important basics we need to lock in: staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
I'll keep links to the weekly threads at the bottom of the stickied post should the thread get buried. 2 clicks, to this post and the Weekly link, will get you back to it.

So go ahead and post your goals in this Thread.
My daily post would look something like this.

Wed 9/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

But this is your show. So focus on your basics.

Make this month count! Tear it up!:+1:

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I know! It's early. But I'll be doin' teh campin' the 31st through the 3rd.
    And I have homeschool co-op all day today and soccer in the p.m.
    Sometimes we just have to settle. :wink:
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m down for the September challenge. After taking part in FIT_Goat’s ad libitum challenge, I want to keep it up. I will be watching carbs rather than calories and eating only when hungry (still a challenge for me). Football season may throw a kink in my plan but I’m going to try and stick to it!
  • adkhiker63
    adkhiker63 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’m game! Logging, vitamins, walking and saying on protocol are my goals.
  • rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm new but I set it on my calendar to sign up today. Do we track net carbs or gross? How do we know what our electrolytes are? Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm psyched. I MUST get my triglycerides down (off the charts) and Keto is recommended for that.
  • sweetnana126
    sweetnana126 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm game. Sign me up. My goals are logging my food, watching calories, watching carbs, drinking water, and walking.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love this! My goals are staying within carb goal, being more active, and logging consistently. Logging helps me IMMENSELY when I do it daily. I have not been working out at all. I would like to get back to exercising regularly. (I used to work out in some form 6-7 days a week. I just got lazy) We have a gym at work & I need to utilize it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm new but I set it on my calendar to sign up today. Do we track net carbs or gross? How do we know what our electrolytes are? Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm psyched. I MUST get my triglycerides down (off the charts) and Keto is recommended for that.

A good place to start is through our "Stickies" which can be found by clicking on "Low Carber Daily Forum" at the very top of the page. Here's one example of what can be found there:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348406/faqs-and-general-lc-info?new=1
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Goal is to continue eating within macros and calorie goal, log, and keep losing (8lbs down, which is 20% to goal). I have a two week visit to Michigan to visit my in-laws for almost two weeks mid-month, and I'm hoping I can keep the carbs low (they aren't the healthiest eaters, but usually have meats available).
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Goal is to log everything daily, 300 minutes of exercise, more water (I drink too much coffee), stay within my macros. 😃
  • SenchaJill
    SenchaJill Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I’m going to try a Basics Challenge again.
    I’m down 60# and still have ~20# to go - slow and steady.
    My goals are to stay within my macros and get a minimum of 10G steps a day, as often as possible, and aim for 7-8 hours of sleep.
  • Chicagolopez
    Chicagolopez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok goal is to lose 5 pounds and go low carb and start exercising for an hour each day
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Some idiot on crack arsoned our 7-11 (yes he was taken away by RCMP and no one was injured) so no more bad crisps packets and hot chocolate on shift. I will be reduced to proper low carb foods, lol. Maybe this will jump start me on the correct path again and I will be able to fit my longjohns under my uniform pants by the time I need them.
    :)
    small greek yogourt and a Simply protein bar tonight to ease into things
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    September:
    900 minutes of INTENTIONAL exercise/movement. A mere 30 minutes per day.
    Let nutritious carbs fall where they may with no emphasis on hitting "a number".

So one of my August goals was to up carbs to ~90 per day (from routine average of <50). I've been in intentional maintenance for 4+ years so it was more of an N=1 in regards to weight management and hunger. The result of August is that I neither lost nor gained weight nor experienced increased hunger eating additional nutritious carbohydrates (legumes, lentils, vegetables).

I finished the August N=1 averaging 22% carbs, 23% protein and 55% fat on just slightly over 1500 sedentary maintenance calories per day.

I previously reported a thought that the increased carbohydrates were perhaps making me feel more lethargic than typical. In hindsight and fairness to nutritional carbs (not being diabetic) I've now considered that perhaps what also came into play was total lack of effort towards my other goals of increasing movement and exercise. Steps per day averaged only ~3500 and I spent only 110 minutes during the entire month with intentional exercise :(:/:o:# so a fail on those goals. As an aside, the "left leg sciatica thing" has continued to improve and I'm no longer tripping on a regular basis. The dystonia is what it is and I'll continue to deal with it.

• sweetnana126
    sweetnana126 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Checking in for 9/1:
    Logged food :)
    stayed at or below 20g net carb :)
    Drank water : aiming for 100 oz. Got to 8o.
    exercised: Squat challenge day 3

And 9/2
    Logged food :)
    stayed at or below 20g net carb :)
    Drank water : aiming for 100 oz. Got to 90
    exercised: Squat challenge day 4

So far, so good
  • taylok23
    Options
    The first day of football season wasn’t kind, or I just made a couple of dumb choices....at any rate, I came back today under my carb goal and ate when hungry. I wanted an evening snack but knew I wasn’t hungry and skipped it.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Its been a very busy summer here, but I have done pretty well keeping the net carbs down. I would have to say that breakfast is my biggest challenge, I love my morning bagel. My net carbs are usually around 25g but if I eat my bagel (usually just 1/2) that will up it to about 40g which still isn't too bad.
    We are going on a cruise mid-September so that will likely be a challenge! I know I will not not log my food, but I will do my best.

• LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    taylok23 wrote: »
    I’m down for the September challenge. After taking part in FIT_Goat’s ad libitum challenge, I want to keep it up. I will be watching carbs rather than calories and eating only when hungry (still a challenge for me). Football season may throw a kink in my plan but I’m going to try and stick to it!

I've got the same plan on mind. Continuing carb counting rather than calorie. And I do need to step up my workouts/activity in general. Yesterday was a good start, walked over 5 miles at the state fair.
  • rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Checking in I need to pick up the pace.
    Sat 9/1
    Starting weight 157.6
    Logged: 
    Water:  80oz
    Calorie Goal:  1272
    Carb Goal:  27
    Exercise: Dance Cize n/a
    Exercise: 30 day fitness n/a
    Preplanned/prepared meals yes

Sunday 9/2

Logged:  yes
    Water:  72oz
    Calorie Goal:  1118
    Carb Goal:  23

Monday 9/3

Logged:  yes
    Water:  80oz
    Calorie Goal:  1230
    Carb Goal:  28

• taylok23
    Options
    In looking back through my diary I’ve done better than I thought at staying under my carb goal. AND, I’m totally ignoring calories. My exercise has kicked up a bit this week with more weights so I feel like I’m retaining a bit of water so we’ll see how that works out in a couple of days. I haven’t done well on only eating when hungry- I’m in that rut of “it’s time for dinner, so I should eat”.