Low carb in a hotel

Options
JLPadron86
JLPadron86 Posts: 74 Member
My boyfriend and are I starting a low carb diet tomorrow, but are in a hotel with limited space and limited stuff to cook with. We have a twelve inch skillet that plugs into the wall and a small rice cooker. We have two mini fridges. One the hotel provided and one we provided ourselves, so also we do not have very much space to store a lot of food. I'm trying to find ideas that will be healthy, simple to prep and relatively cheap. We will be in this hotel for at least 2 to 3 months before we buy a home. I'm tired of eating out and it has limited options for low carb. Any ideas appreciated. We are the biggest we have ever been me 5'5" and around 220 lbs and him 6' and probably 260lbs. We are going to do just low carb for a month and half and then join the gym. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Egg dishes are my easy go-to. Buy lots of things you can add to them, such as cheese, spinach, tomatoes, onions, avocado, etc.
  • JLPadron86
    JLPadron86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    CarolynRSB wrote: »
    Egg dishes are my easy go-to. Buy lots of things you can add to them, such as cheese, spinach, tomatoes, onions, avocado, etc.

Thanks I love scrambled eggs :) I can't wait to we buy our home and have a full kitchen
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    JLPadron86 wrote: »
    CarolynRSB wrote: »

Thanks I love scrambled eggs :) I can't wait to we buy our home and have a full kitchen

I hear you! I'm eating some right now, topped with sour cream and homemade salsa. We probably go through 2-3 dozen a week.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Precooked rotisserie chicken, precooked prepackaged meats (ham, sausages etc), eggs, protein shakes/bars (mind the carb content), cheese, dairy products
    Add with salad ingredients and/or microwave veg
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I found this site and while many of the recipes contain pasta or rice there were quite a few that looked low carb such as: skillet taco, tuscan chicken, French onion chicken, cheesy tex-mex cauli-rice, Cajun shrimp, Santa Fe Chicken.

For the other recipes that are pasta/rice based you could always make/buy Zoodles (spiralized zucchini) or use riced cauliflower in lieu of pasta or rice. Here's the site:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/menus/g1467/one-skillet-dinners/

My answer to everything quick and easy is Crackslaw and I'm quite certain any version could be made in an electric skillet. There are many recipes online. My favorites are Asian based (sesame oil, soy sauce, fresh ginger) but I've made them with an Indian flair and Mexican flair. They all make good leftovers too.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I second the Crackslaw.... I could eat that every other day for dinner and not be unhappy.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just eat burgers almost every day. Pretty easy and simple and doesn’t require anything special.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've read that you can use your rice cooker as a slow cooker (like the Crockpot or Instant Pot). I know one household that does this. Slow cookers are great for all kinds of recipes.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    I travel a lot and eat turkey jerky, cheese sticks, eggs, nuts and shelf-stable treats like Atkins chocolates when I crave something sweet. Seaweed and olives are also pretty easy to keep in a hotel and good for a low carb lifestyle.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Limited cooking for several months can definitely be a challenge. Try grocery shopping every day and getting just what you need for that day. You can literally cook just about any recipe in a skillet, google "low carb camping recipes" and I'm sure you will find a ton of them. Almost all camp cooking is done in just a skillet. Also, just cook what you normally like and cook it all together in the skillet. Generally you want to cook the meat first, then add some water or sauce (if needed depending on the fat level of the meat - butter works too) then toss in the veggies until they are done. Hamburger, zoodles, onion - sounds great. Pork and fresh green beans - sounds delish. Chicken, stir fry veggie mix, and cauliflower rice - perfect meal. If the grocery has soups, some of those make excellent sauces for a one-pot meal, like a small chili dumped in with the hamburger/zoodles/onion would really add a lot of depth of flavor without a huge amount of effort or cost - toss on some cheddar/sour cream and I'm getting hungry just thinking of this.

You don't have a lot of space to store food, so it's not going to be as cheap to shop for small amounts every day as it would be to shop in bulk. On the plus side, if you can be flexible about what you buy, you can just pick up whatever is on sale for the day. Whatever meat is marked down, whatever produce is marked down, it's all about to go bad, but you are cooking it now, not keeping it around. And if there are multiple grocery stores near you, spend a bit of time scoping them all out, they might mark down their stuff on different days. Cooking in the hotel will definitely be cheaper than eating out.