Freestyle Libre users?

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Anyone using Abbott's Freestyle Libre glucose monitor to get 'round the clock BG readings?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Medicare says I'm not diabetic enough :s
    I only inject enough insulin to get 3 test strips a day.

That's what I get for getting my 30 day average (126 strips) down to 96.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm debating getting one of these for my daughter, so if you get one please let me know how you like it. There's also a transmitter (I think it's called nightrider) that can attach to it that will give transmit the readings without having to scan and is supposed to allow for the low/high alarms through an app. It seems like it would be half the price of a dexcom.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    alsunrise wrote: »
    I'm debating getting one of these for my daughter, so if you get one please let me know how you like it. There's also a transmitter (I think it's called nightrider) that can attach to it that will give transmit the readings without having to scan and is supposed to allow for the low/high alarms through an app. It seems like it would be half the price of a dexcom.

The Libre has been a real revelation so far, especially regarding low nighttime and high morning BG levels. I like the Android apps, which you can use instead of the pricey reader, but users seem to develop their own collection of tips & tricks!

The Nightrider has been unreliable with my Samsung phones. Users seem to prefer the MiaoMiao attachment.
    (Also, there's supposed to be a new, Bluetooth-enabled Libre in the wings.)

The sensors can be had pretty inexpensively, if your pharmacy uses the right combo of discount codes...
  • alsunrise
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

The Libre has been a real revelation so far, especially regarding low nighttime and high morning BG levels. I like the Android apps, which you can use instead of the pricey reader, but users seem to develop their own collection of tips & tricks!

The Nightrider has been unreliable with my Samsung phones. Users seem to prefer the MiaoMiao attachment.

The sensors can be had pretty inexpensively, if your pharmacy uses the right combo of discount codes...

I just now saw this.... We're hoping to get the Libre with the MiaoMiao, but right now we're still struggling with her doctor, who continues to push for the dexcom. The Libre isn't FDA approved for kids in the US yet, so we're trying to get her to prescribe it off label. Even at cash price, the Libre is way cheaper than the dexcom.
  • alsunrise
    Options

I just now saw this.... We're hoping to get the Libre with the MiaoMiao, but right now we're still struggling with her doctor, who continues to push for the dexcom. The Libre isn't FDA approved for kids in the US yet, so we're trying to get her to prescribe it off label. Even at cash price, the Libre is way cheaper than the dexcom.

Just a quick update, the dr called in the Libre, we're getting it from Walmart and Blue Cross is actually paying a very small amount on it, but I'm suprised they are paying anything since it's not approved for children yet. Anyway we are getting the Libre and 1 month supply of sensor s fir $145, whereas the Dexcom reader alone was going to cost us $1400. Next step is getting the MiaoMiao. Yay!!!
  • RalfLott
    Options

Just a quick update, the dr called in the Libre, we're getting it from Walmart and Blue Cross is actually paying a very small amount on it, but I'm suprised they are paying anything since it's not approved for children yet. Anyway we are getting the Libre and 1 month supply of sensor s fir $145, whereas the Dexcom reader alone was going to cost us $1400. Next step is getting the MiaoMiao. Yay!!!

You may be able to work the price down... Here's a summary of my experience with Walgreen...

3-pack, Libre sensors - $40 at Walgreens

This price is without insurance coverage (because you're not insulin-dependent, etc).

1. If you don't have insurance, get a free prescription discount card (or Group #, BIN, and Member ID# codes) from www.Familywize.org.

(Other discount programs include GoodRx and Singlecare.)

2. Set up an account at Abbott/Freestyle Libre - 844-330-5535

3. If you're a Dexcom user, ask Abbott/Freestyle for an eVoucher for a FREE Libre reader & sensor.

4. Ask Abbott/Freestyle for a "prescription assistance" with 3-packs of sensors. They can generate discount codes while you wait - Group #, BIN, and Member ID#. Codes are good for a year.

If the CS rep balks, ask to speak to a supervisor or call back.

5. Give Walgreen's your insurance card (or FamilyWize codes) AND the discount codes you just got from Abbott/Freestyle.

Walgreen's should run your insurance (or FamilyWize codes) as primary and the Abbott/Freestyle discount codes as secondary.

But if for some reason this combination doesn't work, ask them to try all other combos with whatever codes you have.

My cost for 3 sensors magically came down from $113 (no discounts) to $75 (insurance codes only) to $40 (insurance + Freestyle codes) - even though my insurance does not even cover the Libre.
  • alsunrise
    Options

You may be able to work the price down... Here's a summary of my experience with Walgreen...

3-pack, Libre sensors - $40 at Walgreens

This price is without insurance coverage (because you're not insulin-dependent, etc).

1. If you don't have insurance, get a free prescription discount card (or Group #, BIN, and Member ID# codes) from www.Familywize.org.

(Other discount programs include GoodRx and Singlecare.)

2. Set up an account at Abbott/Freestyle Libre - 844-330-5535

3. If you're a Dexcom user, ask Abbott/Freestyle for an eVoucher for a FREE Libre reader & sensor.

4. Ask Abbott/Freestyle for a "prescription assistance" with 3-packs of sensors. They can generate discount codes while you wait - Group #, BIN, and Member ID#. Codes are good for a year.

If the CS rep balks, ask to speak to a supervisor or call back.

5. Give Walgreen's your insurance card (or FamilyWize codes) AND the discount codes you just got from Abbott/Freestyle.

Walgreen's should run your insurance (or FamilyWize codes) as primary and the Abbott/Freestyle discount codes as secondary.

But if for some reason this combination doesn't work, ask them to try all other combos with whatever codes you have.

My cost for 3 sensors magically came down from $113 (no discounts) to $75 (insurance codes only) to $40 (insurance + Freestyle codes) - even though my insurance does not even cover the Libre.

I'll give these a try. I'm ok with paying 75 for the 3 pack of sensors anyway. We were paying more than that for the test strips.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    $75 really is not bad.

But all things being equal, in my mind the extra $35 per month would be happier with me than with Walgreen's or Abbott..... ;)
  • alsunrise
    Options
    $75 really is not bad.

But all things being equal, in my mind the extra $35 per month would be happier with me than with Walgreen's or Abbott..... ;)

lol yes I agree!!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Any smartphone apps (other than Abbott's dismal FreeStyle LibreLink) seem to work with the provincial 14-day sensors?
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Anyone else using this? I use the Libre 1 (in the UK) and have to self-fund.
    Developed an allergy to the adhesive so now I basically operate on myself and the sensor to be able to use it but have recently been a convert to the iPhone app and logging stuff through there. The algorithms seem to be a bit more up to date than the reader (and I in truth reads anywhere from 0.4 to 1.5 higher than the reader) and I think gives a more accurate reading.

Initially I preferred the reader as I was religiously printing out my month's charts but when the allergy hit, the readings were off the chart, and burn-out meant I just couldn't be bothered with the faff of it anymore.

Getting my bloods done when Lockdown ends next week in the UK and from January will go back to logging as much as poss on MFP, printing out my monthly reports (lucky I now have a GP who encourages my using it as opposed to the muppet who first diagnosed me and told me to basically shut up, take his tablets and stop wasting my money on managing my diabetes!)

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hahaha, @rfsatar when you described your (ex-)Dr. Muppet.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I had to!
    5rf0z08u0crg.png
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Did a cardio boxing session on Wednesday and the DOMS in my arms has been hell these past two days and.. the sensor has been haywire. Permanently low with an occasional spike... I hate when it is like this because it really skews the results for an estimated hbA1c.

Unless DOMS in my arm could actually cause any issues with the filament? Lots of water today to see if that helps jog it along.