Living The Lifestyle, Wednesday, 9/19/2018

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - savignr (Bob)
Wednesday - 88olds (George)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today’sTopic: A Lot If Little Things

Even though I started weight loss after a big Ahah! moment, when I got down to the work, it seemed like it came down to small steps. Lots of them. Some small steps resulted in small advances. But some seemingly little things were huge.

What’s a small change that you’ve made that’s paid off big for you? Why do think it worked out? Doesn’t have to be just one.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Starting off the day with a fresh made omelet full of vegetables. It is satisfying and nutritious. A carb-loaded breakfast just doesn't sustain me very well.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,076 Member
    Options
    Much less snacking in the car. I still do it, on occasion, and the drive through dessert on an cone doesn't count. ;)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    1) Getting and using a digital food scale.

I still use it every single day I’m at home. I don’t count points or calories. But I still use my scale to control portion sizes.

2) Speaking of portion sizes, when I read NI, I always check the portion size. One, to see if I think it’s enough to be worth the calories. And two, to see how many portions are in the package. I’ve been burned so many times I can’t count them.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    That small losses add up over time.
    The realization that Next Week will be better IF you don’t quit.

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,002 Member
    Options
    A small thing is weighing my portions or food at every chance I get. Watching portion sizes is the biggy for me. Every meal and every item must be watched.

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,699 Member
    Options
    Changes to eating healthier foods- lowering meds. Checking nutrition labels staying away from high fat high sugar foods.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I think it was to learn how small a portion could satisfy me at times. I learned this from an old post from Mamacin about things she had learned. I wish I had saved it.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Like Bill's comment. I too learned how little my body really needs to take in for energy needs and how I could learn to enjoy what I do eat. I too got a digital scale early on.
    I guess I probably knew restaurant portions were often more generous than one person needed. But now I realize some would feed 3 or even 4 people and almost always at least two.
  • acoustikarl
    acoustikarl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One my wife shared at WW today is that small losses are still a loss. Don't beat yourself up that you "only" lost 1/2 pound. It is still a loss and a step towards the goal. Change the mindset.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,076 Member
    Options
    One my wife shared at WW today is that small losses are still a loss. Don't beat yourself up that you "only" lost 1/2 pound. It is still a loss and a step towards the goal. Change the mindset.

GoaD rule #1.
    Never say "only" and "loss" in the same sentence.
  • acoustikarl
    acoustikarl Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    [GoaD rule #1.
    Never say "only" and "loss" in the same sentence.

Which is why I had "only" in quotes. But that was her previous mindset. It's now "I lost 1/2 a pound." This is a huge change for her.

edit: This should credit Al. I think I screwed up when trying to just quote a portion of it.

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What’s a small change that you’ve made that’s paid off big for you? Why do think it worked out? Doesn’t have to be just one.

1. Don't let the scale have too much power -- it's a useful tool, but not what defines me as a person.
    2. Omit "good" and "bad" from weight management vocabulary -- There are healthier and less-healthy food choices but any given choice is a not character flaw.
    3. My "90% rule" -- I figure if I stick to my plan 90% of the time, it's still better than the 0% I stuck to a plan before I started WW.