Keto Newbie Carbs? Sugar?

Options
I'm just learming about keto. I'm eliminated added sugar as of today and want to start full program Oct 1. Do you strictly do a percentage of calories limit of net carbs or do you have a gram amount? What about maximum grams allowable sugar (not added but naturally in foods?)

Replies

• bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options

No need to worry about sugar as this WOE is naturally low in sugar. I went from consuming ~100g/day to ~10 without even paying any attention to sugar consumption. You can, however, track sugar if you like.

Regarding calories, simply decide how many calories per day you want to consume and then go for perhaps 70% fat/ 20% protein/10% carbs under macros. First however, establish a benchmark by tracking what you're eating now before you start this way of eating. Then select a percentage of your calories that will yield maybe 50 g of carbohydrates per day. Once you start to get accustomed to this way of eating, lower the percentage of carbohydrates until you hit around 30 g or so per day. Protein will be around 30% and the balance will go towards fat. As an example, My 1250 cal per day allowance is divided thusly: 10% cards yields 31 g per day. 60% fat yields 83 g per day. And finally 30% protein yields ninety-four g per day.

To me, keto is not primarily about weight-loss. It is more importantly about eating as cleanly as you can. For example, my kitchen is now nearly 90% organic. Organic foods are clean with no artificial ingredients. Yes it was very difficult throwing away all my wheat based products. Once I got past that pain, I started to purchase more organic foods and paying careful attention to the ingredient list. I only eat uncured bacon and uncured ham as an example. That, together with the low-carb, high-fat and protein way of eating, I suddenly found myself feeling better than I've ever felt.

Keep in mind that this is a very drastic change in diet. What you're actually doing is flipping the food pyramid upside down so that fats are now at the bottom of the pyramid and carbohydrates are at the top. This is the way we should be eating because the overconsumption of carbs has had a dramatically negative effect on our country. It has produce a nation of morbidly obese and severely diabetic people.

The Magic Pill on Netflix will open your eyes to what this way of eating is and how it can accomplish what it does.

You will naturally lose weight, a byproduct of this way of eating. If you like, send me a friend request so you can see my diary.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to answer in length. I will check out Magic Pill. I have been watching some other keto YouTube's trying to distill information.
    I don't know how to send a friend request. MFP doesn't make it obvious that's for sure (tho if you tell me how, I might then think Oh Duh. 🤣.)
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to answer in length. I will check out Magic Pill. I have been watching some other keto YouTube's trying to distill information.
    I don't know how to send a friend request. MFP doesn't make it obvious that's for sure (tho if you tell me how, I might then think Oh Duh. 🤣.)

My pleasure.

Go to Community, then "Invite Friends"...