Ramen?

Options
I've been able to find clever low carb substitutions for most of my favorite meals... except one. What can I cook up if I'm craving a hearty bowl of ramen? Also, is there any modification of ramen that can be ordered from a restaurant to keep it low carb friendly? I'm just not sure what could replace ramen noodles.

Replies

• ThinManRuning
    ThinManRuning Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    when I make at home I leave out the noodles, I add shredded cabbage, Enoki mushrooms Lap-churn (Chinese sausage) sliced chicken and drop in a few cracked eggs a min or two before serving. Nori is also good on the side. I know its not really Ramen without the noodles but its the broth I like not the noodles so much. Eating it out is mostly noodles so maybe have to stay clear of it when your out.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,684 Member
    Options
    h3lrh5mtvcuy.png
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bean sprouts?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I make ramen with shiritaki noodles and extra cabbage too. Tastes yum to me, but I've had to be gluten free for many years anyhow.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Depending on your carb goals, and your ramen, you might be able to make it fit as-is. I can almost always fit half a pack (13g carbs) and on my lifting days I can fit a full pack (26g carbs). I tend to make it very brothy and totally eat all the broth...sometimes I add cheese or eggs to up the protein and make it more filling with less noodles.

For alternatives, the shiritaki noodles are the closest replacement I have found, just drain them and rinse them forever so they aren't slimy anymore, then drop them in the chicken broth with whatever extra ingredients you like to heat them up.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'll have Pasta Zero every couple of months or so. Several local stores carry it in the chilled case where the vegan foods are. Per package, the price is $1.69-$2.29. I've not tried the other brands of shiratake stuff after reading they have an odor when opening, have to be rinsed, dry fried etc. To me, Pasta Zero has no odor and I just drain it and toss it in a pan with alfredo or butter and mushrooms.

https://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/21214777/Light-Zero-Shirataki-Fettuccine-Pasta.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj7Xc2sHM3QIVgiSGCh3sOg_uEAQYAyABEgJe2PD_BwE

There is no real substitute for real pasta/noodles IMO so "the real deal" is just one of those food items I choose to enjoy very occasionally when eating outside the home.

Maybe try some not overcooked spaghetti squash in your broth?

• kimjschroeder
    kimjschroeder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Anyone know the nutritional value of just the dry packet of seasoning?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I make ramen with shiritaki noodles and extra cabbage too. Tastes yum to me, but I've had to be gluten free for many years anyhow.

Ditto. In fact, my asian market SELLS shiitake ramen (with spice packs etc.). I don't generally buy it, but have as a junky indulgence.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I googled a list of spices and made a ramen seasoning packet that way, cooked up some shirataki noodles (your local asian store should have them less than $2/pack), and throw in any other ingredients.

Shirataki noodles can have a fishy smell when you open the package. Drain and rinse really well, and cook in the boiling broth for ~2 min. It doesn't at all taste fishy even if you're lazy about the draining step.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Ditto. In fact, my asian market SELLS shiitake ramen (with spice packs etc.). I don't generally buy it, but have as a junky indulgence.

Is it just a local Asian market or something like H International or Pacific Trader? That would be awesome. I'll have to go on an expedition around here to find that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Is it just a local Asian market or something like H International or Pacific Trader? That would be awesome. I'll have to go on an expedition around here to find that.

It's a local market. Not very big. Check the refrigerated section.
    House foods I think.
    My market has this one too:
    https://www.mercadomagico.com/grocery/general-merchandise/house-foods-tofu-shirataki-ramen-spicy-miso-17.2-oz/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1d3tpPbW3QIVDQNpCh39YwwNEAQYASABEgJtefD_BwE
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use zoodles or cabbage for any noodle type recipes
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    h3lrh5mtvcuy.png

I love these and my local grocery store carries them. :)
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Anyone know the nutritional value of just the dry packet of seasoning?

Not exactly, but I'm guessing there's about 6k mg of sodium, and the rest is just artificial. B)
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just an update that I recently ordered ramen from a restaurant without noodles and it was great! It came with spinach, bean sprouts and chicken and all I did differently is add a soft boiled egg. It was surprisingly very satisfying and filling without noodles. I was worried it would not fill me up, I was wrong. But I didn't feel so stuffed I couldn't move, like you normally would if you ate a whole bowl with noodles.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Just an update that I recently ordered ramen from a restaurant without noodles and it was great! It came with spinach, bean sprouts and chicken and all I did differently is add a soft boiled egg. It was surprisingly very satisfying and filling without noodles. I was worried it would not fill me up, I was wrong. But I didn't feel so stuffed I couldn't move, like you normally would if you ate a whole bowl with noodles.

Nice. I keep meaning to order that for take out/grubhub and add my own noodles. Hubs LOVES noodles, so often he orders it when we're out and I remake it with his broth. YUM.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I make soups all the time with just vegetables, broths, and meats with spices and herbs and they fill me up. I don't miss noodley or potato-y things in soups or stews.