Recipes for Picky Eaters?

Options
I'm picky, and I know it. I hate it. My parents never MADE me eat anything healthy and I can't stand that. Anyway, now that I know I am T2D, I would like to find recipes I can make that I might find rather tasty.
I don't like many vegetables, if any (corn doesn't count, right? Nor potatoes? lol).
I love fruit- but know I can't overindulge.
I refuse seafood. I can't. *gag* haha
I love beef, pork and chicken.

Set me up guys! I'm new to all this and want to become a pro!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think you are set. :) you love beef pork and chicken so make that the bulk of you diet. They are very very low carb, which is great for a T2D. Fill your plate with meat and add a small side of veggies (only if you want) or a bit of low glycemic fruits like 1/2 - 1 c of berries. Or eat fruits that are called veggies (with moderation) like cucumbers, tomatoes, nuts, squash, etc.

TBH meat is basically all I eat now, and my BG is very steady! My health is great too.

And you are right, corn doesn't count as a veggie - it's a grain. ;)

Root veggies do need to be quite limited. Potatoes, yam, onion, carrots, turnips, etc do tend to raise BG a fair bit. The best thing to do there is test your BG before eating and then every thirty minutes afterwards to see what sort of effect it has on you. You might be able to include them often, in reasonable amounts of course.

I'd look at recipes for meat. Substitute stevia for the sugar in sauces, and avoid flour thickeners, and you are good to go. ;)
  • AshlyWester
    AshlyWester Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I hate how picky I am, but I'm trying to be better!! :#:#
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keep going with the foods you like, which work within your plan, and your health will improve and you'll be able to stick with it longer. Eating what tastes badly to you is a recipe for disaster. ;)

Foods don't get much more nutritious and bioavailable than meats. You're doing fine. :) Keep going.
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eggs! Lots of eggs.

They can get boring though so I like to fry up a hot link or some kielbasa (sliced) until browned, then scramble in some eggs, and top with cheese. Or some bell peppers and onions, left over taco meat, sometimes just cheese. You can hard boil and devil them or avocado devil them.

Add a couple slices of bacon and you have a meal you can eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.