Please share your favorite Keto Soup recipes

I'm looking for something tried and true. Last fall I made a Pumpkin Crab soup which was awesome. I'm also Dairy and Egg Free, so any recipe that doesn't contain either, or I can easily swap in something like Coconut Cream/Milk, would be great. Thanks!!

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Pozole (Mexican pork soup)

1 pork shoulder (bone in)
    5-6 Bay leaves
    1/2 medium onion (diced)
    15 oz can of white hominy (drained)
    2 tbsp dried oregano
    4-5 tbsp red chili powder (we use the dark red) - use more or less to taste
    2 tbsp salt
    1-2 whole jalapeno (diced)
    Chopped cabbage
    Fresh Cilantro (chopped)

Cut the pork into 2 inch cubes and brown in a frying pan with a small amount of oil (we use bacon grease). Transfer the pork to a stock pot and add water until the pork is double covered. Toss in the bone from the shoulder as well (for added flavor). Add the chili powder, dried oregano, bay leaves, salt and onion. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the pork is the desired tenderness (we usually cook until it falls apart). Add in the hominy and bring it back to a boil. Boil 5-10 minutes to bring the hominy up to temp and then turn off the heat.

To serve, add chopped cabbage to bowl and ladle soup over cabbage. Garnish with fresh cilantro and jalapenos to taste.

If you avoid the hominy when eating, there are very few net carbs in this soup (the hominy adds a bit of starch but not an appreciable amount). The soup will take 3-4 hours to cook depending on how much pork you cook.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Cabbage Roll Soup

1 large onion diced
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 lb lean ground pork
    1 medium head cabbage chopped (core removed)
    1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    3 cups beef broth
    1 1/2 cups V8 or other vegetable juice
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 bay leaf
    salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, brown onion, garlic, pork and beef. Drain any fat.
    Stir in chopped cabbage and let cook until slightly softened (about 3 minutes).
    Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and reduced heat to medium low. Cover and simmer on low about 25-30 minutes.
    Remove bay leaf and serve.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Cream of Mushroom soup

1 medium onion diced
    1 clove garlic diced
    4 pints mushrooms (you can use various kinds - I used half white button and half brown)
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 - 1.5 cups Heavy cream
    Rosemary
    Sherry
    Butter

I just saute the mushrooms and onions and garlic in the butter for a few minutes. Add rosemary and some sherry. After the mushrooms are tender, remove half the veg mix. Add the broth and cream to the pot. Take the veggies you removed and blend them down (this helps thicken the soup out) and add the mixture back into the main soup pot. Salt, pepper, and rosemary to taste . Simmer it a bit to meld the flavours.

Super yummy and filling. The next day I also added some sausage to the bowl and that filled it out nicely as well - made it more of a meal.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    A good soup starts with good broth. I make turkey bone broth regularly, but this can also be done with chicken or beef bones (roast beef bones about 1 hour first, you can find temp online, I haven't done beef yet)

Just place bones in a slow cooker and fill with water, then cover and let cook on low for a day or even longer (I've done 24 hours). Strain and season to taste.

Then start a soup pot with a saute of your fave aromatic veggies (garlic, onion, celery, bell peppers) and then add some of your delicious homemade broth and whatever meat, veggies, and herbs you like, simmer until soup ingredients are tender and you are all set. This is the best way I know to make any kind of soup without a recipe. Create your own flavor combinations and once you find one you like, remember to do it that way every time.

source: https://ketolish.us/
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    We tried keto pho last night and it was spectacular! I made a big batch of the broth on Sunday, and last night all I had to do was steam veggies and assemble the bowls! It was an amazing weeknight dinner, on the table in about 15 minutes. It was rich and flavorful, and my veggie-hating hubby loved it! (I made a separate vegetarian pho broth for my daughter, so she could have pho, too.)

I am keeping the extra broth in sealed pitchers in my fridge. We've got plenty of prepped, raw veggies in containers, and I can see myself putting almost any kind of meat in it.

https://ketogasm.com/low-carb-pho-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-recipe/
  • rootbooty
    rootbooty Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2018
    Q