Carb count

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @jaynee7283 it was day 45 before I lost the first pound but my fat face was already melting.

4 years later sticking with the Keto WOE is still even more awesome as my health continues to improve.

My first two weeks were hellish however.

Best of success.
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    Started back last Monday with some very good friends. Have stared this group.....they are using a carb tracker but I am going to stay here. Have some great support!! Thank you!
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    @jaynee7283 it was day 45 before I lost the first pound but my fat face was already melting.

4 years later sticking with the Keto WOE is still even more awesome as my health continues to improve.

My first two weeks were hellish however.

Best of success.

Thanks. I ended up losing 1.5 pounds in week 2 (that 1.5 came off the last two days of the week).
  • Wifett3
    Wifett3 Posts: 24 Member
    I aim for 20 net carbs. Usually I’ll have a couple days a week where I’m over and a couple days well under. I don’t stress as much as when I first started as I figure my weekly average is always pretty spot on and seems to be working.

I’ve lost 15lbs of my goal of 50. Most weeks, my loss is just a pound but I’m super happy with that. I think I’ll be more concerned when I get closer to the final stretch as I’ve heard that can be the hardest to lose.
  • Toyota100
    Toyota100 Posts: 182 Member
    1 do 100 carbs or less per day. Plus I try to work out. Sometimes I do less, but I'm scared to go under 50 carbs per day. 100 carbs or less per day with exercise I'm losing weight fast. I will adjust my carbs if needed, but it's extremely hard for me to stay happy and consistent with too low carb restrictions.

• tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    I do less then 10 but I am doing keto diet with intermittent fasting 18 / 6 most days some 20/4 and 1 42 hour fast . I am also going to the gym 3 times a week and trying to walk 5000 steps a day .
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Wifett3 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 15lbs of my goal of 50. Most weeks, my loss is just a pound but I’m super happy with that. I think I’ll be more concerned when I get closer to the final stretch as I’ve heard that can be the hardest to lose.

I'm also 15 pounds down, and one of the slower losers on keto, dropping .5-1.5 pounds a week (mostly closer to .5-1 average). I have 25 pounds to go, which will be a total loss of 40 pounds. I aim for under 30 net carbs, and often I'm closer to 20 net. For me the key is hitting my protein macros, which I find easiest to do when I jam shredded chicken breast into every dish I make!
  • Have been trying to do keto for 2 yrs.I am T2D and could loose90 lbs.I am finding it so hard to stick to it.I might have 4 good days then blow the whole thing. I am starting this week and going to plan to keep carbs under 100.Do you think that will work for weight loss? I have to take metformin for D and multiple other drugs for Heart problem.(heart attack caused by AFIB) .Thinking low carb 1200 calories might help.Any recommendations.Thanks
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Have been trying to do keto for 2 yrs.I am T2D and could loose90 lbs.I am finding it so hard to stick to it.I might have 4 good days then blow the whole thing. I am starting this week and going to plan to keep carbs under 100.Do you think that will work for weight loss? I have to take metformin for D and multiple other drugs for Heart problem.(heart attack caused by AFIB) .Thinking low carb 1200 calories might help.Any recommendations.Thanks

I am convinced you can do it. There is some adjustment as you get used to the diet, but much of it is changing patterns of behavior. I would get used to the LC first. Once you have that down, reduce the calories to lose the weight.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Have been trying to do keto for 2 yrs.I am T2D and could loose90 lbs.I am finding it so hard to stick to it.I might have 4 good days then blow the whole thing. I am starting this week and going to plan to keep carbs under 100.Do you think that will work for weight loss? I have to take metformin for D and multiple other drugs for Heart problem.(heart attack caused by AFIB) .Thinking low carb 1200 calories might help.Any recommendations.Thanks

I think you can do the low carb. And a good place to start is around the 100 mark. But something to concentrate on is to be very aware of what exactly you are consuming for the 100 carbs. Meaning that white flour, rice of any type all are high in carbs, and also are well known for shooting up blood glucose/sugar levels. So if you can I would suggest really trying to limit the breads, pastas, and rice items. Eating lots of veges, and some fruit yes has carbs but overall better for you, and as a T2D as well. Depending how much your body reacts to the sugar in fruit will let you know if you can eat two servings per day or not. Me I stick with one serving per day. I do low carb, but not KETO, the biggest reason not is the amount of Fat the average person on Keto consumes to me that is just way too much. Again as a diabetic going on 18 years I am more comfortable with strictly Low Carb than true Keto. But for those that Keto works, I say that is great.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Eat a LOT of salt.

When you lower carbs you lose water and electrolytes due to depleted glycogen stores and lower insulin. If you don't replace your lost sodium with at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day, you may experience headaches, fatigue, moodiness, brain fog, stomach and BM issues, muscle weakness and spasms.... It's hard to stick with a new diet when you feel poorly! ;)

Eat half a teaspoon of salt with water a couple of times a day, eat a couple of bowls of salty boullion, use salt tablets, make a salty keto-aid, and salt your food liberally. It will help.

For reference, 2300 mg sodium = 1 teaspoon salt.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Eat a LOT of salt.

When you lower carbs you lose water and electrolytes due to depleted glycogen stores and lower insulin. If you don't replace your lost sodium with at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day, you may experience headaches, fatigue, moodiness, brain fog, stomach and BM issues, muscle weakness and spasms.... It's hard to stick with a new diet when you feel poorly! ;)

Eat half a teaspoon of salt with water a couple of times a day, eat a couple of bowls of salty boullion, use salt tablets, make a salty keto-aid, and salt your food liberally. It will help.

@smith1420ABC987NAN please don't switch to keto without talking to your cardiologist and medical team regarding your over all health as it relates to one of the health issues you mentioned "multiple other drugs for heart problem...heart attack caused by A-FIB".

After my heart attack just a week ago I too am on a cocktail of heart meds specifically formulated for me, my A-Fib, etc. No one here knows the specifics of your case and you should not be randomly following generic information like "eat a lot of salt".....
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Eat a LOT of salt.

@smith1420ABC987NAN please don't switch to keto without talking to your cardiologist and medical team regarding your over all health as it relates to one of the health issues you mentioned "multiple other drugs for heart problem...heart attack caused by A-FIB".

After my heart attack just a week ago I too am on a cocktail of heart meds specifically formulated for me, my A-Fib, etc. No one here knows the specifics of your case and you should not be randomly following generic information like "eat a lot of salt".....

Great advice in this case and actually applies to all readers. Anonymous web based advice is dangerous at the best and deadly at the worse. I was taught not to take advice from anyone that had nothing to lose if it was wrong advice.
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Where is everyone it's Nov. 17 and no since the 6th come on.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I think the thread kinda got away from the OP's questions. :o
  • lauriepoirier1
    lauriepoirier1 Posts: 8 Member
    My Nutritionist has told me to have 3 servings of carbs per meal, so 45g x3 125g for a day. I am type 2 and my levels were out of control. What she didn't tell me was how much to eat of anything else!
  • PollanDP
    PollanDP Posts: 17 Member
    My doctor handed me the Diabetic Diet. It was as you said - 45-60 per meal and then 15 per snack. The examples said toast with breakfast. Sandwich for lunch. 3-4 servings of fruit. WHAT? that is crazy! It wasn't until I found this board that I figured out how to eat as a diabetic. Drop the bread, pasta, rice and drop the fruit servings down to 1-2 at most. More protein and more fat. Doctors need a different approach with the nutrition now. That old diet would be fine for a person without diabetes. Not so much for me!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member