I am getting frustrated! Can someone help me troubleshoot??

Options
meggs9605
meggs9605 Posts: 55 Member
I have been doing strict Keto for about a month now. I feel pretty good, but I am getting discouraged because I'm not losing any significant weight. I lost a few inches the first couple of weeks (which is awesome), but I have 50+ lbs to lose, so I would think the pounds would have started to drop by now. Can someone look at my information and offer some insight? I guess I just feel like the few pound I have dropped would have happened regardless of Keto since my alcohol and starch consumption is down.

34 yr old female, SW: 200, CW: 195, GW: 145. (And I have put a couple of lbs back on in the last 10

- I never go over 20 net carbs (usually 10-15 so there is space for hidden carbs if we eat out)
- 90% whole foods. I only supplement B vitamin and collagen. I also eat at home as much as possible. (If we do eat a meal out, I stick to Keto options and track as closely as possible)
- Very very little packaged or processed food.
- Carbs come from leafy greens or cruciferous veggies mainly.
- IF schedule is usually 16/8 or 18/6
- I track my ketone and glucose levels (and GKI) and they are consistently in the optimal ranges.
- ACV and lemon water daily.
- Macros are solid.
- Calories are at a deficit (MPF gives me 1260, some other calculators give me up to 1500. I usually stay in the 1200-1350 range, but never go over 1400.)
- Alcohol is limited to social occasions one or two times a week. (1-3 drinks of 0 carb or very low carb).
- Medications: IUD, cymbalta, adderall, and trazodone at night.
- No formal exercise, but I am a busy working mom who is constantly on the go. Settings are for sedentary, but I am probably closer to lightly active.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    How is your fat intake? If you are low try some MCT oil in your coffee. What type of alcohol are you drinking? I have wine and scotch daily and still can lose weight but I budget the wine carbs into my total <50 daily.
  • erindallin
    erindallin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How are you doing with salt intake? I had a few weeks where the scale wasn’t moving and then I started adding salt (sodium and potassium) to my water a couple of times a day (I add it to sugar free water drops to make it taste ok) . Within a couple days I had a ‘whoosh’ of weight loss (4 lbs).
  • Facelious
    Facelious Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Diet without exercise is a very tough road to manage. Even with 7k steps a day you arent really giving your metabolism any fighting chance. The little things like alcohol or a small amount of processed foods can destroy your progress. Takes very little of either. During your IF you need to concentrate on planning your fasted periods to be centered on your most active points in your day or else IF is pointless for you. Very few in the IF community see any difference in weight because they aren’t getting the exercise they need during fasted states.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I would stop drinking any calories. Any days don’t have anything recorded and other days seem to only have partial days recorded.
    On the ones that do seem to be filled in, you often drink several hundred calories of straight fat. The problem, even though you stay below target calories, assuming you’re truly measuring that out and not eyeballing it, is that it provides an entire meals calories but hardly any nutrients.
    Your body won’t be so willing to let go if fat of you’re starving on a nutrient level.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Also in addition to what others are saying, have you seen any changes in your general health, sleeping better, less joint pain, skin improvements, smaller measurements, less bloating or puffiness, etc. Sometimes the body will work on general health improvements before it drops the weight. Just another thing to think of...
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Drink more water.
    MFP limits are not set in stone. If you're not losing, eat fewer calories.
    Make sure you have enough protein.
    Fat is good for staving off cravings, but less is better for using your body's fat instead.
    Increase exercise (park further away, pace around the house, play chase with the kids).
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    Drink more water.

This. I've had 64oz of water already today and I've only been up an hour or so.
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    MFP limits are not set in stone. If you're not losing, eat fewer calories.
    Make sure you have enough protein.

Also this. If I went by what MFP and other sites suggested I'd either maintain or gain weight with my metabolism.

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    jrmie333 wrote: »
    try to have your last meal earlier than usual perhaps 4pm-6pm.
    Good point.

I usually only eat breakfast and supper (6pmish). Normally, without cravings, this is all I need. But some days I do get an urge to nibble and it helps to have "good things" available to snack on, like leftovers (fish/chicken - just grab a spoonful), peanuts, avocado, a hard-boiled egg, turkey jerky, protein shakes, celery & hummus.

It also helps to not have "bad things" in the house to tempt me. It's easier cuz I don't have kids...

• tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My opinion..... I think your calories are to low. I think even without working out you need at least 1600 calories a day and eat all the calories. NO fat as a lever. I'd also suggest only doing 20 total carbs. Carbs is carbs..the carbs don't magically disappear because you subtract fiber. I'd do your carbs at 20 total, aim for 15% of your calories to come from protein and the rest come from fat. If you're using the free version I'd set it up as 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. I have been keto for 20 months and when I did fat as a lever and ate 1200-1300 calories I was in a weight loss stall and started losing hair. It was terrible
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    tifano wrote: »
    My opinion..... I think your calories are to low. I think even without working out you need at least 1600 calories a day and eat all the calories. NO fat as a lever. I'd also suggest only doing 20 total carbs. Carbs is carbs..the carbs don't magically disappear because you subtract fiber. I'd do your carbs at 20 total, aim for 15% of your calories to come from protein and the rest come from fat. If you're using the free version I'd set it up as 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. I have been keto for 20 months and when I did fat as a lever and ate 1200-1300 calories I was in a weight loss stall and started losing hair. It was terrible

Agreed, @tifano ! And what @tcunbeliever said about cortisol is spot on, too. After I stalled for a few months I gave up on the calories and just focused on giving my body the nutrition it needs, and the weight started coming off again slowly. Then I focused on my sleep, both quantity and quality, and the weight is coming off more easily now. Be good to your body, and it will be good to you!
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    DietPrada wrote: »
    I lost 110lbs without exercising. I just ride my horse once a week and do the normal amount of walking around during the day (around 4000 steps). I have a desk job. Diet for weightloss, exercise for fitness.

I've also lost without exercise; down 64 pounds since the end of June just with diet changes. Don't track my daily steps but most days all the exercise I get is traveling from various rooms around the house. Occasionally I make it outside to the mailbox. I'd be surprised if I managed even a thousand steps in a day. I wish it was more but with a bad leg and pain everywhere else it's just not possible the majority of the time. On days I feel well enough to venture out and do something it wipes me out for several days afterwards.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I was heavier with a higher BF% while I was working as a Physical Rehabilitation Assistant and Fitness Instructor, than I am now (since I contracted a chronic disease that limits my activity/exercise choices.) I had gained some after the diagnosis, but lost it by low carb eating and IF - not by exercise. Exercise is important for other health reasons, but not so much for weight loss.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @meggs9605 while I did not start Keto to lose weight but at day 45 I lost my first pound. For the last 3 years I have maintained the resulting 50 pounds weight loss eating to stay full daily.

My health was so poor it had to start recovering before the good things started to come my way from Keto I expect.

Hope you stay the course or find the WOE that works best for you.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is for a few weeks to be very diligent about tracking everything you eat. For every meal, every snack. Including for any meals outside of the house. I think more than likely you are eating more than you think you are in total. Do you use a food scale to weigh your food? To state you know you are totally staying within your total carb goal, I would think you have to be weighing everything. Prepackaged food legally can be off by 20%, So right there you could be eating more than you think you are.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi, I JUST looked through my journal from last January, and apparently at the end of the month, I was feeling frustrated, like my weight loss had stalled after just one month! Now, I'm a solid 30 pounds down and looking back, I definitely was not stalled. Weight fluctuates from day to day, but over all of that time, my weight was slowly but surely dropping. kind of like a roller coaster, up and down, but always nudging a bit closer to the goal! Don't be discouraged, and keep testing and tweaking to see what works for you.