Poll, sorta.

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
On the Motivation & Support board this issue came up in a thread.

It’s widely considered rude to comment on what an obese person may be eating when it is clear they aren’t interested in losing weight.

But take that same obese person, let it be known they are involved in WL, and its manners be damned.

Why is it rude in the first instance and not the second. Or if it is rude in both, why don’t those people keep themselves in check.

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    I'd say rude, either way.
    I know it rankles me when someone who knows I'm on WW says, should you be eating that?
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,593 Member
    Options
    I agree with Al. Keep your comments to yourself
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    It's rude either way. Paternalism is something that should be limited to one's own children.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    You can comment on the fact that you like a particular item of apparel or jewelry I'm wearing, but please refrain from comments about my body as well as what I am eating.
  • johnlreeb
    johnlreeb Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    It's rude either way. Too many people in this great country of ours don't care.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Leaves a great opening for "Shouldn't you be minding your own business?" or something along those lines. Generally rude but let's face it, that's how a lot of people are.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I agre with it being rude either way. If you can't contribute in a positive manner don't comment period.

SW 400.8
    CW 352.0 🙂
    Next 1 GW 340.0
    Next 2 GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

48.8 lbs Total Loss
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,008 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the rude either way
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    While it may or may not be rude, it's really inappropriate to comment on things that you have incomplete information. These single "snap-shot" moments don't give sufficient information on which to make a reasonable comment.

There are times, however, where comments might be appropriate and useful. For example, if one has been confiding in one's spouse or close friend/family-member about their weight-management efforts, then that confidant may have enough information to make a useful and appropriate comment.

For example, if I eat something that is not "diet-y," to the non-initiated it may seem that I'm not doing a good job on my diet.

In contrast, to someone "in-the-know," they may understand that I have been "saving up" my calories to have a splurge. Or, they may make a suggestion of something that still gives me my splurge, but is a bit more reasonable. Blah blah blah.

So, to bring it back to the original post, I think it's situation-dependent.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    Out of line either way
  • EliteCoachKal
    EliteCoachKal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Rude is a pretty subjective term, but I'd say any advice that's given when it's not asked for is not helpful. I find it's always better to ask questions and refrain from giving advice unless someone has specifically asked for it.
    Here's the hierarchy of advice as I've learned it. From worst to best:

4. Unqualified/Unsolicited
    3. Qualified/Unsolicited
    2. Unqualified/Solicited
    1. Qualified/Solicited

If someone isn't asking for advice they aren't going to hear it no matter how good the advice is. Wisdom isn't knowing what to say, it's knowing when to say it.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    Steve-O and Kal give longer answers as like most things in life "it depends". In general I do NOT comment on appearance,clothes, or what folks are eating, and it certainly can be rude either way if unsolicited.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    I polled my WW meeting yesterday, and overwhelmingly rude, unless it's from your "coach/partner in weightloss".