Deep fryer suggestions?

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
I'm putting a deep fryer on my wish list for Xmas. My kids love deep fried foods so I agreed to one, as long as I can use more stable fats like tallow in it. No liquid vegetable oils (heated, they appear to be less healthy).

Does anyone have any deep fryer recommendations? I doubt I need a huge one; I'm not planning on doing a turkey in it, but it would be nice to do wings, or a chicken, or enough french fries for three teen boys.

I don't know if using solid fats makes a difference either. Any advice on brands, sizes or how to use it is welcomed! I've never used one before. :) Thanks.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible to do enough fries for 3 teenage boys? Lol
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    :D Very good point! ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    That's a lot of potatoes! :joy:

I use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-35033-Capacity-Professional/dp/B00CXMNZTQ/ref=lp_289918_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1539531074&sr=1-3

Except that one is a tad deeper than the one I own and therefore, with 2 teens and 2 younger kids and a ravenous husband, I wish I had that one or an even larger model. It takes about 2 runthroughs to get a good pile of fries. I suspect a bigger model like this might be better if you're just looking at the time/# of batches issue.

I've never used tallow in it, just liquid oils, so I don't know how that will go for you.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    canadjineh wrote: »
    That's a lot of potatoes! :joy:

I use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-35033-Capacity-Professional/dp/B00CXMNZTQ/ref=lp_289918_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1539531074&sr=1-3

Except that one is a tad deeper than the one I own and therefore, with 2 teens and 2 younger kids and a ravenous husband, I wish I had that one or an even larger model. It takes about 2 runthroughs to get a good pile of fries. I suspect a bigger model like this might be better if you're just looking at the time/# of batches issue.

I've never used tallow in it, just liquid oils, so I don't know how that will go for you.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. :)

I hear you on the potatoes. I buy 20lb bags every other week, and that's with one kid who doesn't eat "normal" potatoes.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have a Masterbuilt electric turkey fryer and love it. It's big and takes up a lot of counter space but functions well. It takes 30 minutes to bring it to frying temp but once it gets there it takes a lot to drop it back much.

I fry with peanut oil. Out of curiosity I looked up tallow. $66 a gallon. Yikes. $2 worth of taters in $130 worth of tallow. And I thought peanut oil was pricey.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    $66? No way! :scream: ... I'm living in my own little world where I was thinking of when we butcher cows with my family - how they toss out pounds and pounds of fat for the coyotes....

Geez... Now you all scared me. I need to do more research on what oils do okay heated and how much animal fats cost before I add this to my Xmas list.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I did see it on line for $51 a gallon but still high. I use peanut oil several times before it gets too dark and starts frying things too dark and/or adding unwanted flavor. I'll drain/filter it every few uses but then I fry more than French fries....battered stuff. Peanut oil is over $20 per gallon and if you find it for cheap, read the label and make sure it doesn't read Peanut Oil then "blend" in small print.

We don't use the fryer often. Maybe 4 times a year. I had 12 people every night for dinner the week of Hurricane Florence and fried up a pile of cod one night. Fish. No chips. :)

For as big as the turkey fryer is it is easy to drain and clean.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    All good to know! Thank you. :)
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The other option is an air fryer.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    IronGiant0 wrote: »
    The other option is an air fryer.

I actually have an airfryer, and use it often, but the kids have told me that it isn't quite the same. ;)
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    the problem is that most oils are damaged by high heat. look for things with highest smoke point. I didn't realize tallow was that expensive, but I know 2ketodudes highly recommend it for frying because it is more stable at high heat than cheaper 'vegetable' oils. If you can get some big chunks of fat from family or a butcher, you could render it down yourself. Just let it warm on low in a crock pot for several hours, keep the melted liquid and throw out the little solid bits that are left. if you're feeling less patient, lard is actually pretty cheap and should have similar qualities.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    the problem is that most oils are damaged by high heat. look for things with highest smoke point. I didn't realize tallow was that expensive, but I know 2ketodudes highly recommend it for frying because it is more stable at high heat than cheaper 'vegetable' oils. If you can get some big chunks of fat from family or a butcher, you could render it down yourself. Just let it warm on low in a crock pot for several hours, keep the melted liquid and throw out the little solid bits that are left. if you're feeling less patient, lard is actually pretty cheap and should have similar qualities.

Yeah... That might be the way I need to go if I want to use tallow. I'm hoping that the fact that I can use it more times (supposedly) will help offset the cost of the fat. Lard would be cheaper to buy - you're right. :)
  • kpk54
    Options
    Can't you just keep the fat you butcher from the cows and render that down rather than toss it to the coyotes? @nvmomketo