Not the weight loss I expected

raingirl21
raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
edited August 2018 in Social Groups
I've been on strict Keto for 3 weeks. I am getting slightly discouraged by my weight loss, or lack there of. I have lost 3 pounds. Is anyone else not seeing amazing results? I have read so many experiences of people losing 20 pounds their first month and even my macros say I should lose 10-15 pounds my first month and the scale and my inches aren't budging. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be missing?

Replies

• brieomac
    brieomac Posts: 14 Member
    Are you also working out? For me, I also started strength training and didn’t see the scale move, but can see a difference with the tape measure.
  • dramacat21
    dramacat21 Posts: 14 Member
    Congrats on your progress so far - it is progress!! Don’t give up. I started Keto on June 4 and have lost 12 lbs and about 1/2” - so my clothes are feeling more comfortable - but this is quite a bit more gradual that many other people report! While I am not seeing “amazing results” like 20lbs lost in a month, I am making better choices and have a lot more energy.

What is helping me stay the course:
    -Be sure to write down and track your measurements, as many of us see dress/pants size decrease without the scale moving.
    -Log everything in the diary or journal.
    -Read labels.
    -Measure food when possible, don’t guess.
    -Double-check serving size.
    -Make sure your at the right macros for your current stats.

Remember many of us are changing a lifetime of not-so-healthy habits... a lifetime!! I can afford myself a little grace here. The day my scale said I had actually gained 1lb on KETO, I had to remind myself that regardless of the number on the scale, I was making better choices and leading a healthier lifestyle.

Change or “recovery” of any kind has never been linear for me, or seemed as easy to me as it seemed to be for others. I don’t know why I expect it to be - but I do; the subconscious message that “I’m not where I should be” was wired into my mind at an early age and can undermine both my energy and drive in many areas of my life. I’m working to let that negative thinking/feeling fall away and pay attention to what I see working - no matter how quickly or slowly.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Hang in there! Maybe just focus on making sure you've discovered all your hidden sugars, and that you're getting enough fat and water?
  • GrannyGoes4it
    GrannyGoes4it Posts: 59 Member
    I have a friend who was not eating enough fat and calories. we went to a different keto calculator and then to several others and she was eating way to low
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    You have received some great input. Not knowing what you mean by "strict keto" it's hard to give advice.

I'm not sure how much you have to lose, but for me I was not seeing results on high fat versions of keto. I follow a version of keto that basically says if you are trying to lose fat, you don't need to eat excessive amounts of it. You just need enough for satiety, to reduce cravings and feel good. I count macros by grams rather than percentages because you can have your percentages in line and have a calorie count that is still way too high to lose weight.

*Cutting out dairy and artificial sweeteners for some people helps - some are sensitive and don't lose as quickly when consuming them.
    *Logging EVERYTHING
    *Increasing protein worked for me (although some would argue that getting too much protein is a problem)
    The biggest help for me was making sure I was in a high enough calorie deficit (either through diet or exercise) to lose weight. 1 lb of fat is equivalent to 3500 calories. Calories do matter.

Don't give up! If you give more information about the plan you are following I'm sure people will be willing to help you analyze ways you could tweak it to get the best results.

• shelleyspice
    shelleyspice Posts: 5 Member
    I’m in the same boat. Been doing the Keto lifestyle since August. No drastic change as I keep seeing with loads of posts. I haven’t touched bread or potatoes, limit my carbs by only a small amount of fruit too. I do cardio (hour walks). Can I ask - I keep seeing people say to cut out dairy but cheese seems to be a big part of the recipes I see. How do you cut out the dairy?? :) any insight is much appreciated
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    I'm a slow burner as well, even though I work out, which includes a mix of strength & cardio (muay thai). I started six weeks ago, and *just* today hit the 10 pounds down mark, which means 25% to goal. It's frustrating, but if you are losing, even small amounts, then there is success. Have you been tracking measurements?
  • lacerka963
    lacerka963 Posts: 14 Member
    I too have slowed greatly from when I first started... but since July I have lost 12 lbs... so my feeling is since my clothes are starting to fall off I am okay with that... according to scale... which may be flawed, it varies my weight from +/-6 lbs.... but as said I keep it going... keep carbs below 40 g... also I do more protein as to much fat causes my ibs to act up.
  • ChubbyRose84
    ChubbyRose84 Posts: 48 Member
    I have Dr. Berg say that if you've been unhealthy for a long time, it takes longer to get healthy from the inside out.
  • alevbrant
    alevbrant Posts: 26 Member
    That is about 1 #/week- pretty good for maintaining long term weight loss. The first month I started Keto I lost 4 pounds, which I felt good about. Since then it has curbed off, sometimes none somethings up to a pound. Not a huge amount, but it is moving in the right direction. And more importantly, I feel like I've reset my average high weight. Yes, the wieght loss can feel slow and frustrating. But don't give up. You are doing something right! How are you feeling otherwise? Energy levels? Food cravings? Let those be indicators of success too, not just the scale.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    I find that MFP shows a +500 cal difference and around +5g net carb difference in my days when compared to another app (CM) that is geared more towards keto WOE. I put the same foods in and really can't see where the difference is. I use both apps because MFP syncs with my Fitbit better than the other app.

It's possible you aren't getting enough cals in per day or possibly enough sodium/electrolytes. Make sure to be drinking plenty of water. Also remember that the more you have to lose generally the faster you lose initially, and the less you have to lose the slower it comes off, regardless of the diet plan.

I have had a slower but steady weight loss since eating low carb/keto since October. I eat at 19g net carbs a day, between 1200-1600 cals. Averaging 7#/month, but already at 24# down and a pant size. Lost all the puffiness that I was carrying around and feel so much better. I figure slow and steady is way easier than fast and really gives me a chance to figure out the best foods for me on this WOE. I want this to be a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't have tons to lose, so I think that's why my progress has been slower than others. To answer some questions, I realize I am not strict keto, as I don't do grass-fed, so I'm more dirty keto I guess. I drink lots of water, about 80-90 ounces a day. I think part of my slow progress is I allow for a small glass (3 oz) of red wine in the evening. It's my treat, my "me time" and I know alcohol slows weight loss. But I'm okay with it, I feel healthier overall, not bloated and my stomach looks and feels smaller so it's a win for me.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    This diet is working for me. I eat better and I feel better now.If I lose at lest 0.5-1 lb a week and /or my clothes are getting loose,I'm happy.👍
  • andrewwhybrow
    andrewwhybrow Posts: 1 Member
    I started my KETO journey completely blind and learnt by doing. It has been 6 weeks now and I log down everything and on average my macros are good for a novice. In my case, I lose weight easily when on a calorie deficit diet and equally put it on when not and more. The main benefits for me have been my moods where I have been happier, and I am not agitated as I was before KETO came along. The other positive improvements have been a settled stomach and so much less drafty down in the never regions (if you get my meaning). I feel KETO is a way of life for me and I am determined to lose the 100 lbs and most all enjoy the other added benefits as mentioned. The gym makes a terrific difference or 5-8 mile walks at weekends. I also never take the lift (elevator) and also opt for the stairs plus park the car furthest away whilst shopping...
  • japostle
    japostle Posts: 2 Member
    If you're not already doing so - please take a look at Dr. Berg's videos. I find they made a big difference.
    Some things to consider - check your artificial sweeteners, if you use them - make sure they don't stimulate an insulin response. Most do. consider stevia instead.
    Also, I went full bore minimal carbs for the first several days and without working out it took me nearly a week to get into ketosis (i used the urine test strips to test).

As for red wine - there's no reason you can't - most dry wines will fit within your carb limits.
    However, in my experience (and I think Atkins used to say this too), you need to get past induction (into ketosis) first, then you can slowly add back low glycemic index fruits (berries, etc.) and /or wine into your diet.

I fell off the wagon a few days ago for one day after three weeks of progress, and it took me three days to get back into ketosis, and the gains keep coming - could be because I'm still around 21% body fat, so i have more to burn off..

Best of luck.
  • Slja2013
    Slja2013 Posts: 34 Member
    raingirl21 wrote: »
    I've been on strict Keto for 3 weeks. I am getting slightly discouraged by my weight loss, or lack there of. I have lost 3 pounds. Is anyone else not seeing amazing results? I have read so many experiences of people losing 20 pounds their first month and even my macros say I should lose 10-15 pounds my first month and the scale and my inches aren't budging. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be missing?

It took me almost a month in strict Keto to start seeing significant weight loss.
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    raingirl21 wrote: »

I lost 12 my first week mostly all water and bloat and I lost 1 this week. A pound a week is a pound a week.
  • troys1025
    troys1025 Posts: 3 Member
    No fruit..carbs 20 g a day..150 g fat.90 g protein..I'm 5'11..was 226 and in 3 weeks I'm 206...it's easy.. fasting 16 hrs a day helps