How much do you spend on meals?

Options
nicolejo143
nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
I feel like I've been spending more money on groceries since I've gone low carb. More money on meat, produce and dairy instead of filling up on cheap rice, beans, breads and pastas. Eating out I sometimes spend a more too because I have to modify certain things to better fit my diet. Any tips on spending less?

Replies

• nhoffman7788
    nhoffman7788 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I typically go to Costco every two weeks, and I'll drop $80-100. Most of that will get me through two weeks, except I might need pick a few other thing in between. Probably more in the neighborhood of $125-150 every two weeks.

On the flip side though, I am probably saving quite a bit of money by cooking each meal versus eating out. Also, not purchasing as much alcohol.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    DrKenDBerry on YouTube has a video on less expensive keto tips. If your main motivation is weight loss, you don't necessarily have to go the super clean route of organic, grass fed etc. Yes, it might be the best option but if you can't afford it, it's better to do a less perfect option than keep eating the standard American diet. I really think the costs can balance out by the time you're not buying all the junk foods and not eating as often.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article that relates to this yesterday. It was in Insider Health on the internet. Harvard did a study about how much more expensive was it really per day to eat healthy opposed to unhealthy. What they meant by unhealthy was getting fast food a few times a week, preparing food at home, and not considering nutrition of food.

On average it came out to about $1.50-$2.25 more per day to have healthy food. It was about weight loss.

So I used $2 as the standard for me, and was like ok $60 more for groceries could be true in a month. But that is more than offset by what is not being bought at other types of stores like donuts, too many Starbucks, and or bakeries etc. And fast food. For me that has pretty much totally gone away. I think once in 6.5 months.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do not spend any more on groceries going keto...I am forced to be more flexible about what we eat though, and rely more on whatever meat is on sale vs just planning and then buying whatever...now I buy, and I plan based on what I was able to get cheap...and when it's a super good deal, I buy as much extra as my budget can handle, then I have more flexibility the following week...I do kind of miss weekly steak night, but I still get those when things are on sale, just not necessarily every week.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was much more likely to eat out prior to Keto. Breakfast is not to much. Lunch is some lettuce with some mushrooms cherry tomatoes, jalapenos with some leftover chicken & cheese . dinner will some piece of meat with some asparagus. I like to keep some frozen salmon and chicken from costco or sam's in the freezer. When I compare that to the 7 to 10 dollars for a combo meal it doesn't seem to bad. I guess I was eating fresh vegetables before keto so I didn't see much difference other than less bread.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Check your local supermarket and see when they reduce items for fast sale in the meat dept. I get very good buys and cook/prep them immediately the same day it is bought. I haven't noticed any increase in food budget purchasing this way. Also I tend to eat out less which saves quite a bit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat carnivore and find it is more expensive. But I buy from sales and often try to stay around $3/lb. or less for meat on average with beef as my primary source. Sometimes I spend a bit more, and sometimes less. I can get poultry and pork for much less, ground beef for around $2-$3, some cuts of beef for around $3-$4. If you figure average consumption, I'm at less than $10/day. That's way more than I would spend if I were eating rice and beans, but also way healthier.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Meat is definitely expensive, but I used to spend a small fortune on junk food and prepared foods that now I save. I stock up any time one of my staple foods is on sale, and since I don’t really crave or binge anymore I don’t have a bunch of “extra” trips to the grocery store where I pick up whatever looks good. Altogether I think I’m coming out a bit ahead.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Meat is definitely expensive, but I used to spend a small fortune on junk food and prepared foods that now I save. I stock up any time one of my staple foods is on sale, and since I don’t really crave or binge anymore I don’t have a bunch of “extra” trips to the grocery store where I pick up whatever looks good. Altogether I think I’m coming out a bit ahead.

This is my experience, too!
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat carnivore and find it is more expensive. But I buy from sales and often try to stay around $3/lb. or less for meat on average with beef as my primary source. Sometimes I spend a bit more, and sometimes less. I can get poultry and pork for much less, ground beef for around $2-$3, some cuts of beef for around $3-$4. If you figure average consumption, I'm at less than $10/day. That's way more than I would spend if I were eating rice and beans, but also way healthier.

Wow, that's really good! I don't usually find meats that cheap where I live, especially beef. I'm going to be more diligent looking for sales/markdowns.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I get most of my chicken/turkey from Sams Club but if you time it right you can stock up on some great priced chicken per pound at Aldi. One of the best bang for the buck protein buys I've found is Sams Club lean ground chicken. There are 11 servings in the container at around $8.00. Mix that with cauliflower rice and some shredded lettuce and it can really go a long way.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed a great difference in price but I am a celiac so the breads and prepared foods that I dropped were more expensive to begin with. Bread is never under $6 per loaf, and cereal boxes are usually $5+.

I'm now mostly a carnivore. I buy bulk meats, cheap cuts, and then divide or cut it up at home. I stock up on cheese and dairy when it is on sale.
  • VictoriousBeauty
    VictoriousBeauty Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with cost also, I cant tolerate dairy, and many vegetables and fruits and, want quality meats, ate eggs today for lunch and reacting which is only second time this week which seems to confirm they have to go too :-(
    Hoping this isnt really going to cost me what I think it will
    xoxox
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Kroger brand wild caught canned salmon is the best food for the money. 2.89 a can. Mixed the whole thing with you spinach salad, douse with olive oil and you eating like a king
  • chelletackett
    chelletackett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you can, try checking out a restaurant supply store (we have Cash and Carry here), a lot of times, the meat is overall cheaper (although, you should note you'll buy a LOT of it) and veggies are ALWAYS on the cheap. Yeah, you'll make an investment when you first purchase everything, but you'll fill your freezer and fridge with some pretty great cheap cuts of meat and some really fresh whole veg.
  • rfrenkel77
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The only cost for consideration really is farmed meat/salmon vs organic and wild. Salmon is 8/lb farmed vs 14/lb wild. And strip steak are same cost 8 on sale vs 14 organic. So eating low carb cost more, and eating organic low carb is 2x. Nuts, veggies and olive oil will make up the rest of daily calories. No increase there. If 50%-70% of your cals come from cheap carbs via bread and rice products, then of course you will see a cost jump in the budget when you switch to low carb. The selling point is it’s healthier then a grain based diet. Up to you to decide.

To answer your direct question; yesterday’s meal was 1.24lb ($17) wild salmon with spinach (¢50) 1/2 cauliflower ($1.5) olive oil 4 tbs (¢50?), almonds 6oz ($3.50). Raspberry 6 oz ($1.5)
    It’s was my only meal for the day, about 1800cals , about 25$ a day looks like.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as a family of 5 all with different eating needs, desires me switching to low carb didn't impact our budget much. :tongue:

Meal planning though became essential. We did a lot of planning before I switched because of the diary restrictions of 2 of my kids. (And the straight up pickiness of the teenager) but when I committed to low carb as a way of eating it really became important to meal plan. I find, that planning, is what makes grocery shopping more cost effective.

As for eating out, I focus on Happy hours or appetizers frankly. Portions can be better sized and modifications less. Certainly not always true but it can help!

• rfrenkel77
    Options
    Ground organic bison/lamb/beef is another way to save money