How much do you spend on meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I make a big meal generally to take to work with me multiple days. Buffalo chicken, jalepeno popper chicken, taco meat (chicken or beef), pulled pork, chuck roast, etc.
  • skysmom26
    skysmom26 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I recommend soup recipes. I almost always times then by 3 or 4 and our family eats delicious hearty meal for atleast 2 dinners and usually a lunch on a $10-20 pot.
  • skysmom26
    skysmom26 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also call your local walmart. Ours marks many many meats down around 6am on sunday morning but you must go early to catch them.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with making soups and eating canned fish like wild salmon or mackerel. I make soup in a crockpot. I just cook chicken thighs for 2 hours, then throw in the veggies about 2 hours before it's going to be done. Carrots, celery, leeks, cilantro, kale, potatoes(I'm not super low carb) and some salt and it's done before I know it. I also agree with using fish with salads. I really like using cumin seed with salmon to make it taste better. It reminds me of tacos and with tomatoes, olives, and lettuce or spinach it is just like a taco to me although I do miss fried tortillas, one of my weaknesses.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    How much do I spend on meals?

Hmm thinking about it—- I would say I spend a lot of money on groceries/ mostly because i buy all grass fed/grass finished meat and all organic. I spent $150 last night and only had a few small bags. That will last me and my husband through a typical week though.

I buy much of my meat from my corner butcher shop and my seafood from this cool fishmonger who always has a variety of wild caught fish. Since I shop at a lot of Mom and Pop places here in Manhattan - sometimes there are deals, sometimes no/ but I like supporting local small businesses.

To spend less- I buy what’s in season when I can and load up when I see a sale.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    We have a local meat 'wholesale' store, which I visit about 1X a month at ~$150, and then I spend about $75 - $100 a week on dairy, drink, cold cuts, veggies and non-keto food for my DH who refuses to eat low carb. I also live in an uber-expensive area with ridiculous food prices, so there is that. To save money, my advice would be to plan all your meals out before shopping, use more frozen vegetables then fresh, eat more organ meats and buy less processed foods like nut flours, fancy sweetners, 'low carb' prepared food and so on.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    If you’re in a rural area, look into buying a half or quarter cow from a local farmer. It’s definitely the cheapest way for me to buy grass-fed beef, and conventional beef is probably a better deal too. You’ll need to factor in freezer space and electric costs if you want a real cost comparison. Having a full freezer is a time and energy saver for me, fewer shopping trips.