MCT Powder

Options
krystonite
krystonite Posts: 553 Member
Your experience with this, does the, err, diarrhea, ever go away??? Or should I just stop using it because my stomach obviously can't handle it?

I've only used one scoop in regular coffee and then another day did a scoop in my bullet coffee. Both times led to digestive issues.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use MCT oil in my coffee and it hasn't caused any issues for me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    krystonite wrote: »
    Your experience with this, does the, err, diarrhea, ever go away??? Or should I just stop using it because my stomach obviously can't handle it?

I've only used one scoop in regular coffee and then another day did a scoop in my bullet coffee. Both times led to digestive issues.

Then don't use it.
    MCT oil or powder is not a requirement for a ketogenic diet. Ketosis happens when we eat little enough carbs for long enough. I've NEVER consumed MCT oil or powder. I'll have been low-carb for 5 years in June of next year. I used to put CO in my coffee for a short time while I was doing keto, but I stopped because I could never tolerate very much, and it used up my calories when I could just eat more low-carb foods instead.
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bought a bottle of MCT oil. Used a tsp in coffee till it was gone.
    Didn't notice any difference in any way. Except it made my coffee taste greasy.
    Not gonna bother again.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    krystonite wrote: »

Then don't use it.
    MCT oil or powder is not a requirement for a ketogenic diet. Ketosis happens when we eat little enough carbs for long enough. I've NEVER consumed MCT oil or powder. I'll have been low-carb for 5 years in June of next year. I used to put CO in my coffee for a short time while I was doing keto, but I stopped because I could never tolerate very much, and it used up my calories when I could just eat more low-carb foods instead.

Yeah, I've been on keto for 6 months now and have lost 24lbs. I'm definitely the healthiest I've ever been and have gotten into a pretty good routine. But this MCT stuff pops up everywhere I look so I thought I'd give it a go and see how it made me feel.

Definite no-go.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you do want to use MCT, I would reduce the amount and slowly, over a few weeks, build up to whatever level you want. That helps some with avoiding stomach and BM issues.

Some like MCT to raise ketones which could be helpful for some health issues like epilepsy or cognitive issues. I know of some who use it as a preworkout energy boost too. It isn't needed but some people like it for specific personal reasons. :)
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I used several flavours of onnit emulsified MCT oil, and sugar me science brand stuff which gave me an allergic reaction, and doubt either really did much besides add a new and unpleasant flavour.

I already have coconut oil every day in my diet. For the price of the MCT oils, I can get a giant pack of protein drinks and such.. and those help me not have to eat so much meat, cheese, eggs, and so on.. which is of greater benefit to my quality of life.

Beyond a placebic effect, I don’t think the specific MCT oil did anything more than my melted coconut oil.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'll be the contrarian here. 🙃. I use mct oil in my coffee when I'm fasting and it helps prevent hunger. I initially did have gi upset from it, but I decreased amounts and adapted. I also tried mct powder but stopped when I realized one scoop had 4! Carbs! Obviously you don't need mct oil and it doesn't add anything but an oil slick to the coffee but I can extend my fast for much longer if I use mct oil.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I'll be the contrarian here. 🙃. I use mct oil in my coffee when I'm fasting and it helps prevent hunger. I initially did have gi upset from it, but I decreased amounts and adapted. I also tried mct powder but stopped when I realized one scoop had 4! Carbs! Obviously you don't need mct oil and it doesn't add anything but an oil slick to the coffee but I can extend my fast for much longer if I use mct oil.

I don't think it's contrarian at all. :smile:
    There's nothing wrong with using MCT oil, if that's what's working for you (general you). Like I mentioned, I did CO in the coffee for a while, until I needed to use the calories for protein when I started strength training. I was never able to tolerate much CO anyway. A half tbsp was it. After 6 mo. :unamused:
    IF works really well for some people. All most of us are saying is that it isn't necessary as in "you must MCT or you're not keto!!!!" So if it's tearing you up, skip it (or as you suggest, fiddle with amount.) If it's working, then you're good. :+1:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee but may switch to only on fasting mornings to help me over the breakfast hump. When I first started I was in the mindset that it would help train my body to burn fat as I stopped eating carbs. I only use it in the first cup.