Winter is Coming

Options
2»

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I have seasons 1-7 on video and will rewatch most of them. There are only 6 episodes left but they will be around 90 minutes each so like 6 movies. The only tv I really watch is baseball, football, game of thrones, and movies. Good luck on going to nursing school, I hope you get good grades.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I have seasons 1-7 on video and will rewatch most of them. There are only 6 episodes left but they will be around 90 minutes each so like 6 movies. The only tv I really watch is baseball, football, game of thrones, and movies. Good luck on going to nursing school, I hope you get good grades.

Thank you! :)

I'll be graduating in about 2 weeks. Grades have been great ... but there is still so much to learn. And the big exam in January to actually be a licensed RN. It's been a wild ride ~ and not much time for Game of Thrones ... so I guess it's okay that they took a break. Not that anyone asked my permission. Lol. ;)
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I love this post and thread! It gave me the warm and fuzzies reading through. I'm an emotional eater and have been a yo-yo over the past few years (which I know is soooper bad). I lost both of my parents over the past year & a half, and the process of watching them fade contributed to my weight gain. But, to put a positive spin on the loss...I now have so much more time to dedicate completely to rebuilding myself. I feel a sense of hope and a light at the end of the tunnel.

Granted, it's only day 2...but even the process of going grocery shopping Sunday in preparation for the winter storm that hit the midwest, and taking the time to cook a proper meal felt really satisfying. The last year has been filled with a lot of fast and convenient food, that it's felt like ages since I've slowed down and cooked. It felt really comforting to be making cozy chili on a cold winter night with a little dance party with the dogs in the kitchen.

Full disclosure...I'm one of the few who have never seen one episode of Game of Thrones. I have however seen this spin off, that I find hilarious:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    That was hysterical!
  • cricketpower
    Options
    @nikoba I am so sorry for your losses. That sounds like a rough patch, for sure. :(

I'm glad, however, that we could give you the warm fuzzies! Congrats on this new chapter, taking better care of you. It's a good feeling. Welcome!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the exam!

That was a good bad lip reading.
  • andied23
    andied23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I'll be graduating in about 2 weeks. Grades have been great ... but there is still so much to learn. And the big exam in January to actually be a licensed RN. It's been a wild ride ~ and not much time for Game of Thrones ... so I guess it's okay that they took a break. Not that anyone asked my permission. Lol. ;)

Good luck with the exam, as an RN, I can tell you it’s not SO bad. And the learning definitely never stops, you’ll quickly learn nursing school teaches you how to pass the exam, nursing teaches you how to be a nurse. Lol.

• cricketpower
    Options
    andied23 wrote: »

Good luck with the exam, as an RN, I can tell you it’s not SO bad. And the learning definitely never stops, you’ll quickly learn nursing school teaches you how to pass the exam, nursing teaches you how to be a nurse. Lol.

Yes! Thank you so much for your post. :)

I definitely understand exactly what you are saying. At clinicals, I have paid close attention to what is going on with the nurses, and my instructors. It often feels like they are running full-blast with ease, and I am like a baby just taking those first wobbly steps. Lol. But I know I can get there.

Nursing school has been an intense mixture of humbling and confidence-building, all at the same time. I don't think that will ever end. There will always be room to improve, grow, and learn -- and I love that.
  • rmcswain9372
    rmcswain9372 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love to use winter as my time to evaluate where I am in my weight loss journey and readjust just in time for spring and summer. When I have a goal, I do so much better. We are going to Hawaii in April for spring break, so I have to stay strong through the holidays and the pits of Jan and Feb when the days are short and the weather is bitter.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    I love to use winter as my time to evaluate where I am in my weight loss journey and readjust just in time for spring and summer. When I have a goal, I do so much better. We are going to Hawaii in April for spring break, so I have to stay strong through the holidays and the pits of Jan and Feb when the days are short and the weather is bitter.

Yes -- I know what you mean about having a goal! I was quickly gaining fat after jumping (not falling) off the carnivore wagon, and allowing myself to get into the carbs again. When I realized there was NO way I was going to fit into the white scrubs I had to purchase for pictures back in July, that helped me to get back on track with low-carb. Our pinning ceremony is December 15 and I have to bust out the white scrubs again for that. ;)

I don't *really* have a weight loss goal, though. This is about long-term health for me. My body gives me all SORTS of signs when I am headed in the wrong direction, and it can be a little scary. If I hadn't been "mostly" low-carb since 2012... I can't imagine where I'd be today.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options

This x1000. I passed both LPN NCLEX and RN NCLEX (1st time, both times, whoot!) and you will learn way more of actual use working than you ever did in school.

I cannot reccomend strongly enough that brand new nurses spend at least one year as their first job out of school on a med-surg floor. It will give you an appreciation and perspective of the profession that I believe is invaluable. Plus, if you survive it, you'll be a great nurse.
  • cricketpower
    Options

This x1000. I passed both LPN NCLEX and RN NCLEX (1st time, both times, whoot!) and you will learn way more of actual use working than you ever did in school.

I cannot reccomend strongly enough that brand new nurses spend at least one year as their first job out of school on a med-surg floor. It will give you an appreciation and perspective of the profession that I believe is invaluable. Plus, if you survive it, you'll be a great nurse.

"If you survive it" -- ha, exactly! :)

Thank you for your post. I'm an oddball, I know, when I say that I really have no desire to work in a hospital right now & I'm headed to long-term care ~ for better or worse. So hopefully I will bloom where I'm planted and become a great nurse in that area ... which, as we all know, has great need ~ and in my area, great demand, and great pay.

I liked all of my hospital experiences, did well in clinicals ... and in most of them, I thought, "I could do this". Except NICU. Just really, not my thing.

But I've felt led to LTC before I even went to school. I have a lot of reasons, things that have lined up, experiences I've had, and people I've met ... I won't go on and on. I'll just say I feel a peace about it. And that is pretty cool. :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options

"If you survive it" -- ha, exactly! :)

Thank you for your post. I'm an oddball, I know, when I say that I really have no desire to work in a hospital right now & I'm headed to long-term care ~ for better or worse. So hopefully I will bloom where I'm planted and become a great nurse in that area ... which, as we all know, has great need ~ and in my area, great demand, and great pay.

I liked all of my hospital experiences, did well in clinicals ... and in most of them, I thought, "I could do this". Except NICU. Just really, not my thing.

But I've felt led to LTC before I even went to school. I have a lot of reasons, things that have lined up, experiences I've had, and people I've met ... I won't go on and on. I'll just say I feel a peace about it. And that is pretty cool. :)

If I had remained an LPN, LTC is where I would be. My area however, is very low paying for both LPNs and RNs, aided by a fact that the hospital system I work for has built/absorbed most of the surrounding area. I spent my first two years out of school on an "ortho" floor that was probably more overflow med-surg than anything. Broken hips? Check! Cellulitis? Check! Diabetic wounds? Check! Knee and hip replacements? Check! IV drug users on a 10 week stay because their drug dealer/pimp stabbed them in the thigh multiple times and it (shockingly) got horribly infected? Check! Steel worker crushed a foot in the rollers? Check! De-gloved arm from a car wreck ejection? Check! Penis debridment (multiple)? Check! Medical ICU transferring terminal patients on morphine drips to make beds for someone who still had a chance? Check! Multiple trauma car wreck involving at least 5 broken bones? Check! Saddest of all, AMS? Check! We saw that all too frequently on Fridays in particular. Family members who hadn't seen their elderly parents/what have you in months come to visit, get freaked out by their everyday status, can't or won't deal with it, drag them to ED (and all too often, flee) and they get admitted for the weekend for their three night stay required by Medicare so they can be placed in LTC.

Alot of it was sad and frustrating, but it made me (I like to think) a very good nurse. Lots of hands on nursing, skills, dealing with family, confused patients, lots of total care. It was very rewarding, though. I took my talents to outpatient surgery (still at the same hospital) about a year ago and am much happier most days :)

The best of luck to you on your exam and your career!
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the good wishes. I appreciate it! :)

Re: low-carb: I think I reach a point where I am feeling so much better, I get too brave (or careless) and *sort of* forget what it really feels like to feel bad.

I gave in to the kettle-cooked chips the night before my last final exam, one week ago. I did not go crazy with them like I have in the past. Just enough to "take the edge off" of the stress, I guess. This lined up perfectly with PMS {rolling my eyes}.

Because I did not have any heart pounding or horrible fallout from that, I have continued to sit down with some kettle-cooked chips every day since. Everything else has been low-carb... it's "just this one thing" ~ right?

Right.

Tonight we ordered Mexican food & I had GRAINS for the first time in over 3 weeks. Good Lord... that made me feel awful. I don't do gluten, so it was rice & corn tortilla chips. Bad news. I have heartburn, brain fog, and oh yes my poor heart got to pounding afterwards. A feeling I do not miss -- and SO not worth it.

But tomorrow is a new day. :) I guess I needed the reminder ... now, it's time to get back on track.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I did quite a few desserts/carbs at an Xmas party for the first time in over 2 months. I was able to get back to keto eating the next day but I have noticed sweets cravings have come back. Thinking alot about certain favorite goodies.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    I did quite a few desserts/carbs at an Xmas party for the first time in over 2 months. I was able to get back to keto eating the next day but I have noticed sweets cravings have come back. Thinking alot about certain favorite goodies.

I hear you. That's exactly how it happens.

The great news is that (for me, anyway) ... it really only takes a few days of feeding those cravings with extra fat & protein to make it stop. The dilemma seems to be getting those few days behind me again. Sometimes it takes me awhile to get back in the groove, but once I'm there ~ I'm golden!

Best wishes to have your mind free of those thoughts again SOON. :)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @cricketpower I have a good friend whose daughter doesn't process corn well so they are well versed in avoiding it. It is in EVERYTHING it would seem!

Good for you recognizing it as a trigger for you, I think that's the very hardest thing...identifying the things we use to pull the wool over our own eyes!

Restaurant Mexican food or as we call it "Mexifake" lol Is delicious for a reason and I do love it. BUT! after living in AZ for so long I took the time to learn how to make a lot of things myself and I can have the flavor profiles I love that conform to the way I want to eat. I've made my own margaritas now for so long I can't even have one someone else makes. They're gross. (now :p )