What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Here's where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• OnlyDragonQueen
    OnlyDragonQueen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I drank 3 bottles of water already today, that's a step in the right direction for me.
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify: for the tracking, must I track foods individually? Let's say for example I'm eating at home and I estimate my meal to contain 500 calories. Would it count as tracking if I went ahead and entered in 500 calories for the lunch (using the quick add calories option) or would that be against the rules? Would I have to go in and individually list every single ingredient into MFP or would the caloric value of the entire meal be enough?
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify: for the tracking, must I track foods individually? Let's say for example I'm eating at home and I estimate my meal to contain 500 calories. Would it count as tracking if I went ahead and entered in 500 calories for the lunch (using the quick add calories option) or would that be against the rules? Would I have to go in and individually list every single ingredient into MFP or would the caloric value of the entire meal be enough?

I don't think that is against the rules of this challenge, nobody is going to check your diary for consistency and sometimes you can only estimate calories...like when you are eating out. But estimating doesn't work well as you can read in any thread in the "getting started" board...plus to be fully honest it's just too easy to estimate 100 calories less if you are near to going overboard.
    So I would definitely advise you to log food individually, evenmoreso if you are at home and can weight foods.

• OnlyDragonQueen
    OnlyDragonQueen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ugh I'm congested and I hate it so much.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,145 Member
    Options
    Ugh I'm congested and I hate it so much.

Me too! It feels horrible but I kicked my butt into working out and it felt a lot better. For a little while... hang in there!
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Anyone else live along this dreary NYS Thruway between Buffalo and Albany? I need a new perspective during the winter months!
    xuprs6avlrf4.png
  • w8goal4life
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Homemade carrot ginger soup with homemade bread and green salad is for dinner tonight...perhaps it will help with the winter blues from living in a city with the most depressing winters. Not sure what my boyfriend will think of this menu. Aside from the bread...it is definitely lo-cal. At least I made the bread with a combination of whole wheat flour (1.5 cups) and all purpose flour (1 cup)...so the ratio isn't too bad, but definitely not what one would classify as whole wheat bread.
  • harvest_bounty
    harvest_bounty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Homemade carrot ginger soup with homemade bread and green salad is for dinner tonight...perhaps it will help with the winter blues from living in a city with the most depressing winters.

The meal sounds heavenly, @w8goal4life ! I really crave brightly coloured soups like this as well when it starts to get cold and dark out. We have been having a very similar sort of thing for dinner the past few days, carrot, ginger, and sweet potato with some red lentils and a sprinkle of garam masala chucked in. Your bread sounds delicious as well - how do you leaven it, sourdough, wild or regular yeast, or soda?
  • w8goal4life
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Your bread sounds delicious as well - how do you leaven it, sourdough, wild or regular yeast, or soda?
    This Cornell Extension Bulletin first published in 1953 has been my gold standard guide for breadmaking since I got married in 1972. It was also my grandfather's bible for breadmaking. I asked him for his recipe (he was the cook and baker) and my grandmother gave me a 1972 reprint of this same bulletin from 1953. Breads I make are mostly yeast breads. I tend to use activated dry yeast. Enjoy the bulletin...
    http://reader.library.cornell.edu/docviewer/digital?id=chla7031969_8473_021#page/1/mode/1up

This link might work better:
    http://reader.library.cornell.edu/docviewer/digital?id=chla7031969_8473_021
  • harvest_bounty
    harvest_bounty Posts: 16 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @w8goal4life how nice :) Thanks!
  • FitAndLean_5738
    Options
    Wow today has been really tough. Everything started out normally enough, but I am just STRUGGLING through these afternoon hours. I had a snack and I feel a little better but all I want to do is gobble up everything in sight! I think I may just have an early dinner and call it a night as early as possible. Try to stay busy. Maybe because it's my fourth day in a row, and I do suppose the first week is always the hardest.
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    Wow today has been really tough. Everything started out normally enough, but I am just STRUGGLING through these afternoon hours. I had a snack and I feel a little better but all I want to do is gobble up everything in sight! I think I may just have an early dinner and call it a night as early as possible. Try to stay busy. Maybe because it's my fourth day in a row, and I do suppose the first week is always the hardest.

Hang in there...only you can prove that you are in control. Not aware of your goal...but perhaps attempting to lose too quickly? Deprivation is not good. Moderation is always the better option. We're all on your side and wishing you success!
  • FitAndLean_5738
    Options
    @w8goal4life Thank you for this encouragement; I really needed it haha. Perhaps I am attempting to lose to much too quickly. I am within the healthy weight range (barely. I'm only a handful of pounds away from overweight) and working to get down to the lower end of the healthy weight range so I may just need to take things easy for a few days.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @FitAndLean_5738. I think an important part of the first few weeks is learning what works for you. I had numerous days like yours when I first started out. (Sometimes i toughed it out and a couple of timed i yielded to temptation).

Tracking was very helpful as I was able to go back and see what my patterns were (especially looking at nutrirnts) and try to make adjustments going forward. For example, I found that if I under ate for several days, I would really struggle with hunger (although the first couple of days I felt great). Also, paying attention to adequate protein was really important. Lastly, getting good, consistent sleep. (I always have problems differentiating being tired with being hungry).

Don't give up! See if there is anything you can tweak. Make small adjustments going forward. The early days are for learning and adjusting. You will find out what works for you!
  • SeaShepMN
    SeaShepMN Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This monthly challenge has been helpful in letting me see what I'm doing and how my body responds.

Seems that I've been eating too FEW calories. I was at 1200 calories and the first few days I lost weight and then it started to creep up again. Digging into things a bit further, it looks like I should be eating about 1400-1600 depending on how active I am.

I know there's a lot of knowledge in this group. Have any of you experienced this? Has increasing your calories a bit actually helped you lose weight?
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    So nany variables that I csn't directly anewer your question. I know that I can't go too low for too many days or I can't control hunger/cravings and I can't stay on plan ... hence then I can't lose weight. I also have learned that it's not just calories, but also nutrients. Finally, I do need to eat back exercise calories ir, again, I have u sues with hunger, fatigue and cravings. To account for errors in calories (under estimating in intake or over estimating exercise exoenditure) I only eat back 60 to 75% of exercise cslories.

When I started this journey nearly a year ago, I lost 20 pounds pretty easily and then spent several months gaining back and losing the same 10 pounds several times. In the process learned more about my body and what lifelong habits I needed to be developing (including exercise). Over the past 4+ months everything has clicked and I have pretty easily been able to stay on plan and have steadily lost 40 pounds.

I guess my message is that thus is a learning process. Everyone needs to track, learn, adjust and figure out what works fir them.
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    @SeaShepMN For myself, 1400-1600 calories is maintenance...but that does not make it maintenance for anyone else. CICO, weight loss, maintenance, etc. is different for everyone and is affected by such things as age, gender, BMR, activity level, medical issues, etc. I agree completely with @jan110144 there are too many variables for a direct answer to your question. Her summary statement "this is a learning process. Everyone needs to track, learn, adjust and figure out what works for them" is on point. Never give up...it's all about adjustments over time.
  • bubblegum2fitness
    bubblegum2fitness Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's exam season, and you know what that means! Stress, stress and more stress. I'm so stressed right now I have no appetite. I struggle to actually eat at all right now. Aside from exercise, what are you guys' favourite ways to de-stress?
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    It's exam season, and you know what that means! Stress, stress and more stress. I'm so stressed right now I have no appetite. I struggle to actually eat at all right now. Aside from exercise, what are you guys' favourite ways to de-stress?

Watch a good movie, go for a leisurely stroll, listen to music, sing, play an instrument, practice mindfulness, meditate, search for and try a new recipe, share time with a friend, volunteer time at a community center, homeless shelter or animal shelter. Sometimes it helps to busy yourself with someone else's issues instead of your own. I don't get too stressed out these days...but these ideas are what I can come up with at the moment.