either too little protein or too much protein.

Chanchka
Chanchka Posts: 359 Member
I started the Keto diet 3 days ago and I'm struggling a bit with hitting my macros. I'm using a 5% carb : 22% protein : 73% fat ratio. Yesterday, my fat grams were high enough, but my protein was too low. Today, in order for me to get enough fat without adding carbs, I was eating more chicken and fish... but then my protein went high to the point that it was almost the same amount of grams as my fat. Do I just need to smother it in oil or something? I would eat the skin, but I hate skin. Should I eat a fattier type of meat? I did end up eating some avocado, but then again, even avocado has carbs!
Also, the whole Veggies = good for you, but veggies have carbs, so MAJORLY limit veggies is really hard for me. Any advice? I guess maybe eating more veggies, but less dairy?

Replies

• jcmaas
    jcmaas Posts: 1 Member
    I'm on day 4 myself, but from what I understand you need to add foods that are higher in fats and low or absent in protein and carbs. You can do this with oils/butter, avocado, bacon, nuts (aim for lowest net carb like macadamia, pecan, almond)/nut butters and I've been reading that fat bombs are very popular for just this purpose. I had more veggies at dinner tonight which threw off my percentages so I made a coconut butter cup (fat bomb). It was delicious and bumped my fat up to 70% from 60%. Remember that you're counting net carbs. Avocado has net 2 carbs per 100 gm. Veggies are an important part of our diets but it's picking the right veggies (low net carb) and keeping the percentage in check. I found this printable list that lists the net carbs of 148 different foods. https://ketosizeme.com/low-carb-food-list-printable/. Just keep reading and doing research and experimenting to find what works well for you. :)
  • amybethjack
    amybethjack Posts: 61 Member
    It took me about a week and a half to get a handle on my macros when I started the keto diet. Most of the things I need to do are counter-intuitive to how I've been taught to eat all my life and it takes time to retrain my brain. Just keep researching and reading, look for new recipies, etc, and be patient with yourself.
  • IronMaiden2000
    IronMaiden2000 Posts: 2 Member
    I too have this problem because I'm a big time carnivore. Salads with low carb veggies and high-fat dressing are helpful along with fat bombs if you can stand them (I'm still having trouble choking down all the butter and coconut oil).
  • I'm having trouble getting my fats in. Also I'm eating a lot of protein to feel satiated. Any suggestions.
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    I'm having trouble getting my fats in. Also I'm eating a lot of protein to feel satiated. Any suggestions.

Cool with olive oil, butter etc. that will up the fat significantly. I eat chicken or steak every day. Mostly chicken. My macros are normally 65 30 and 5
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    If you are doing keto to lose weight, from my understanding, it is not necessary to hit fat macro. After all, you want your body to burn body fat not just dietary fat. As long as you're eating enough fat to not get hungry between meals, the thing to be strict on are the carbs.
  • hotchachacha
    hotchachacha Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2018
    bulletproof coffee? just be careful I've heard BPC is not great for people with adrenal issues (not waking up easily, or waking up in the middle of the night, also low energy around 4pm) bulletproof tea may be better with green tea, green tea is excellent for weight loss and appetite