Low carb breakfasts without eggs?

Options
Hello everyone. About 2 years ago I developed an intolerance to eggs which I am unhappy about as I love eggs but they hurt my stomach now. After much research, I discovered my body is not making enough of the enzymes to digest the egg protein properly. Can anyone give me some low carb breakfast ideas that don't involve eggs? No dairy is a plus as well as it seems to encourage sinus congestion, but I can have it here and there. Thank you!

Replies

• vgentile990
    vgentile990 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Avocado or maybe yogurt ... bulletproof coffee is another good one
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    All my life I ate eggs, cereal, fruit or dairy for breakfast. If you can't have those about the only things left are meat and vegetables.

Bacon? Sausage? Leftover pot roast?

A protein smoothie? You can find recipes on line for things like low carb or keto pancakes or "French toast".

• melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds in Greek yogurt. Sweetened with stevia or some blueberries if you want.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Non dairy "Greek yogurt" since dairy seems to encourage sinus congestion in you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I just had prime rib for breakfast, it was amazing!

If you want something more traditional for breakfast, then ham or sausage or bacon are totally standard breakfast foods...maybe on a LC english muffin with some cheese or veggie cheese for a breakfast sandwich...I have been known to make sausage gravy with almond flour and almond or cashew milk with a bit of arrowroot and make it super thick like a stew and just eat it with a spoon, or you could use like a LC biscuit of some sort for a more traditional biscuits and gravy...ditto for chipped beef if you prefer that style of gravy...the gravy takes a while to cook, but it keeps well in the refrigerator so you can make a big batch on the weekend and just reheat all week...for non-dairy yogurts the coconut milk ones are my favorite...you can also get vegan egg-alternatives that should work as if they are egg, I think Follow Your Heart makes a soy based one, so it should still be LC, but I haven't ever actually tried it, so it might be crap.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Non dairy "Greek yogurt" since dairy seems to encourage sinus congestion in you.
    Have you found a non dairy yogurt without lots of sugar? I haven't been able to.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas everyone. I think I should clarify on the dairy. I can have yogurt probably a couple times a week, but have switched over to almond milk from regular milk. Butter doesn't seem to be a problem, so that's good.
  • kpk54
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Have you found a non dairy yogurt without lots of sugar? I haven't been able to.

I eat dairy so have never tried (or even looked at) the non dairy stuff. I just know it exists cuz I see it on the shelves in the grocery store.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We make stir-fry spicy pork for breakfast a lot of the time. Another favorite is like a taco-bowl kind of meal, taco meat & veggies & salsa in a bowl. Steak & salad is nice too some mornings. In the summer, bbq steak is a great breakfast.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You could always use organic tofu as a scramble with whatever other yummy treatments make it seem like scrambled egg for you. Pretty low in carbs 100g is about 5g fat, 1.5g carb and 9g protein. Also I loved oil pack tuna with Patak's Hot Lime Pickle for breakfast - use whatever veggies or ? to scoop it up - or just eat it with a spoon. Soooo good.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    So Delicious used to make an unsweetened vanilla yogurt from coconut milk...but I think that with their brand even the plain is sweetened unless the "flavor" label specifically says "unsweetened". Not sure about other brands, that was the one that tasted the best to me.
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Nice slab of pan fried salmon or trout makes a great breakfast.
    :)
  • VeronicaanddMatt0605
    Options
    I like to have chicken breakfast sausage with 1/2 an avocado.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Look for keto granola recipes. They are mostly nuts, coconut and flax but make a pretty good non grain granola.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bacon dipped in guacamole. I also just skip breakfast most days, just some coffee/hwc usually lasts me til lunchtime.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I love bacon dipped in guac. I also love extra crispy bacon and cheddar cheese. SOOOO GOOD. I am an egg FAN. I love them. But, they have recently started to give me heartburn. Don't know what's up there.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Not sure if another type of egg would be possible or not. I had 8 quail eggs this morning as I had gotten burned out on boiled hen eggs. I do like them. They are Roland Quail Eggs off of Amazon.
  • kristamas
    kristamas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is "kosher" but a low carb protein shake like Premier Protein. When I couldn't eat eggs I would blend it with a little coconut oil and microwave to make "hot chocolate." Kind of like bulletproof coffee. I don't feel like it kept me as full but hey at least it was something!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Protein balls, shakes, STEAK, bulletproof coffee (decaf for me), bacon cups, LC tortilla wraps, lettuce wraps, and LC muffins (there's recipes without egg).