Stopping Keto just For Christmas Day?

Hi All, I’ve been Strict Keto for almost 6 months losing 40lbs with three stone left to lose. It seemed to take me a while to get into Ketosis maybe 2-3 weeks. I assumed this was because I have no Thyroid and rely on Levothyroxine.

I want to stop Keto for Christmas Day to enjoy a few of the non-Keto sweet treats like baklava and Lebkuchen Hearts. I used to have a bad habit of eating sweet things I liked continuously; which is why Keto has worked well for me in terms of eating lots of fat and protein ridding me of my sweet tooth.

Has anyone stopped Keto Temporarily and gone back successfully without bringing back the sweet tooth? I am very worried I could ruin all my efforts by falling into a carb binge that lasts longer than a day. I’ve yet to consume more than 30g of carbs a day since July.

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    I've been on keto for 6 months with a handful of cheat days. I go back on keto pretty seamlessly and the days I've indulged weren't much of a setback.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    I think it all boils down to habits. As long as your habit is healthy, then there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to indulge in life's pleasures.

If your habits are unhealthy then one day of eating well isn't going to get you into shape. Conversely, if you're consistency healthy, then one day of indulging shouldn't make you unhealthy.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited December 2018
    If you are 6 months into strict keto you would be well into fat adapted mode at this point which means you should have next to no problems adding carbs back in especially if you use it for workouts. It's about what your body can handle than say limiting to 25 net carbs this long in. After strict keto I've been able to work my way all the way up to 125 total carbs a day on heavy workout days and I continue to reap the benefits.

Enjoy the holidays. It's once a year. You have already done the hard work. You will likely feel an initial sluggish feeling eating heavy carbs after that long but once that passes your body will still prefer fat and use the carb for instant fuel.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    I had a small slice of pumpkin pie at thanksgiving, as much as I used to love it, I realised my tastes have changed and sugar just dosnt do it for me in the same way. The pie gave me no satisfaction. I think if there weren't the social pressure to take dessert I wouldn't have bothered.

Don't let social expectation derail you. If you feel anxiety about having those things you can say no.

I think you should consider if you truly want to eat those desserts. Eat it because you want it, not just because of the tradition or expectation.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    I'm allowing myself a christmas orange, but I don't want a repeat of the thanksgiving test. I let myself go normal carb and it wasn't fun to get through. Going high carb again is just an exercise in madness for me.. Can't get full, cravings that won't end, misery.

If you do break keto, just enjoy your day and get back on track afterwards. My theory is just think long term and enjoy life, because it can end all too fast and without warning.
  • TanyaShersty
    TanyaShersty Posts: 17 Member
    I've been eating keto for 4 months and I've had a few cheat days that knocked me out of ketosis. Each time it took me 3 days to get back into ketosis. Each time I gained on average 4 lbs but after reaching ketosis, I pee like crazy and lose the water weight. I end up being where I was before cheating, sometimes 1 or 2 lbs lighter. So what I've learned is it's ok to enjoy something that you've really been missing AS LONG as you know that it won't de-rail you and you're determined to get back into ketosis afterwards. Also, it sets you back about a week in your progress. I would enjoy the treats but don't over do it, it will be quicker to get back in the less carbs you eat.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Taste do change over time with this WOE. I had a pizza a few days back and had to laugh at the fact that I had unintentionally ate all the cheese, chicken and tomato sauce and pretty much the entire bread part was still there.

Remember that carbs/sugar can be used up quickly by the body if you give it a purpose. Go for a run before or after eating the sweets and it may not even knock you out of ketosis if you don't go carb crazy all in one sitting.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    I've been eating keto for 4 months and I've had a few cheat days that knocked me out of ketosis. Each time it took me 3 days to get back into ketosis. Each time I gained on average 4 lbs but after reaching ketosis, I pee like crazy and lose the water weight. I end up being where I was before cheating, sometimes 1 or 2 lbs lighter. So what I've learned is it's ok to enjoy something that you've really been missing AS LONG as you know that it won't de-rail you and you're determined to get back into ketosis afterwards. Also, it sets you back about a week in your progress. I would enjoy the treats but don't over do it, it will be quicker to get back in the less carbs you eat.

This. All of this. You can do higher carb days, there's a cost, but keto is pretty awesome and you can get back to ketosis faster than you think you would. I was stressed before my first november test period. I don't have plans to go high carb anytime soon, but it's nice to know it can be recovered from fast.
    qweck3 wrote: »
    Taste do change over time with this WOE. I had a pizza a few days back and had to laugh at the fact that I had unintentionally ate all the cheese, chicken and tomato sauce and pretty much the entire bread part was still there.

Remember that carbs/sugar can be used up quickly by the body if you give it a purpose. Go for a run before or after eating the sweets and it may not even knock you out of ketosis if you don't go carb crazy all in one sitting.

Pizza bread is meh.. but the toppings. I miss tomato sauce on a near-daily basis, but I don't miss the 75lbs I was also carrying around with that WOE. Still, doing some pepperoni/cheese/low sugar sauce can hit the spot 1-2 times a month.

Tastes changing is a great side effect. Not having massive carb cravings is nice. The craving changes also help you figure out if certain things are making you crave, or if you're actually hungry.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Tastes changing is a great side effect. Not having massive carb cravings is nice. The craving changes also help you figure out if certain things are making you crave, or if you're actually hungry.

I remember one week I was craving broccoli hard. I just really wanted broccoli. Had a meal with lots of it but a while after I wanted more. Pretty much had broccoli everyday since I was thirsting it so much. I think it must have been a folic acid thing due to cutting out other sources such as the pasta, breads, cereal and rice. All of which I had a lot of before. I used to hate broccoli, but now I love it.

I'll also be cheating on xmas. Haven't had a cheat day yet in the 3 months I've been on Keto. I'll be doing xmas eve, xmas and boxing day. I expect the water weight and some fat gain, but I'll be back on track for several days...Until new years eve (will likely be fasting and exercising the food off from xmas first). Then back on track until birthday on the 9th. Then no more cheating for at least a few months.
    My mother is doing keto with me and she also doesn't have a thyroid. She loses faster than me and I question if it's because of that. Taking the thyroid meds pretty much keep the metabolism consistent (Correct me if I'm wrong in assuming that).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I have been keto for over a year now, but on those occasions where I go carb crazy I always get the cravings again afterward. It's possible to manage, but do be aware of it and expect it because for me if I let it catch me off guard then I'm snacking on carby things before I even realize what is happening, but if I'm prepared then I can usually stay on target the day after. Surviving the first day is key, if I can get through that then the rest of it gets easier.

I have found that if I limit the carb splurge to about 45 min, then it's easier to get back on track. Not sure if that is just because I have a set time limit in my brain or because that naturally limits how much you can actually consume in carb amounts, but that has helped me reduce the intensity of cravings the next day.

Also, probiotics seem to help me with the cravings, so if I know I'm going to splurge I will make sure I have kombucha or yogurt on hand for recovery day...and nuts...not sure if it's the extra salt or higher fat or what, but they seem to help cut the cravings for me.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    I let myself off keto for Thanskgiving, and the next day felt tired and had a headache. It took me a full day of strict keto to feel more like myself lol -I didn't gain or lose anything that particular week, btw.

I am now looking at those refined carbs like alcohol...Sure, I can have the entire bottle of wine ( or full servings of mashed potatoes, the dinner rolls, and the pie), but will the hangover be worth it? I will likely still indulge in a few of those pre-keto treats and dishes, but will probably limit myself to a couple of bites, rather than a full portion.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    I have found that the few times I've gone off plan on purpose, I can get back on really easily. One of those times, I did a 24 hour fast on a Monday after a carbolicious weekend, and I was back on track really quickly. However, this past weekend I had an accidental slip, and now I can feel those old habits sneaking back into my mind! I think the key for me was planning ahead, and making my choices thoughtfully. And figuring out where it was worth it (honeymoon in NYC), and where it was NOT worth it!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm another who has cravings after a carb splurge. If I have those treats in the house, then I end up overeating more. And more and more...
    If it was out of the house, I tend to be better off but I will feel tired and hungrier for a day or two.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    You should really prepare yourself to battle the cravings you’ll have.
  • nhrig
    nhrig Posts: 6 Member
    Keto I am 64 and just starting day 4 ...I did have some naughty bits last night. I am a trained Chef and dietician, but a long time ago. I also have an ileostomy. Day 3... I seemed to switch in ... last nights wobble seems to be Ok just a very dry mouth today. So lots of Tea and water. and back on track. I have one weakness Scotch but ... maybe ok time will tell as for weight I want to loose 60+ lbs by May 4th most of it visceral. ( round the middle ) and water retention
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I've had really mixed experiences with "cheat days." I usually get best results if I still limit it overall, e.g. pick 1 or 2 favorite things I want a serving of so I'm still probably under 100gm carbs for the day. I also tend to feel a lot better the next day if I keep it to around that range!

Sometimes I can get right back to keto no problems; other times it triggers cravings and "carb creep." I think if the things I splurged on are still around the house, that's when it tends to be harder for me. Like pp said, if it's a treat I have elsewhere it's less likely to affect me.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    I splurged a bit the week of Christmas, not for sweet stuff but to have some sandwiches and pizza from a new place that opened up nearby. Pizza was so-so, I can make better at home if I wanted to. No carb cravings or anything of the such. Did overdo the calories a bit on two or three days on some Prime Rib as well but I planned accordingly so it's all good.