Can I successfully do low carb again?

Options
nikiready
nikiready Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
I had lost about 100 lbs over a 2 yr period doing Atkins. But then I started to cheat and the weight started coming on again. Once the cheating started I would get these strong craving and I would binge, feel bad, starve and try to get back on the diet. I slowly went to keto and love the taste of fat but I can only seem to make 3 or 4 days before I fall off the wagon. I am constantly craving bread and processed carbs are all around me tempting me. I really need to lose the weight again for my health, well being and esteem. Yet I can't seem to stop the yo yo diet cycle I am in. Any advice??

I have put back on about 50 lbs

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    What it always comes down to is making the choice for yourself to stick with it. To get through those cravings that will be gone after a while and then won’t be as tempting anymore because you will be so satisfied with the foods you’re eating that you won’t even consider those things to be proper fuel for your body anymore! You just have to commit to yourself to get through it. It gets so much better once you do!

Try to hang in there because it truly does improve.

You’re worth it!!
  • cooked2
    cooked2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It certainly seems to differ from person to person, apart from an occasional pang for a certain brand of chocolate biscuits I don't find myself being waylaid by cravings. Looking at my blood pressure and sugar glucose is plenty motivation for me. Do you check those? I did every day for 3 months, after stopping with meds and that was motivation for me...
    Good luck
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i do low carb, less than 100gr a day and I rarely eat bread, guess I got use to not eating it, I know a miracle, I think it does get easier. You can do it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sometimes law electrolytes from cutting carbs causes fatigue, moodiness and stomach issues. If you are the type, like me, who tends to eat for energy, then it can be quite hard to stay low carb. You'll probably need 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. 2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt.

Likewise, if you are in a large calorie deficit, the hunger and lack of energy can make it very hard to stay with it.

Perhaps consider just switching to low carb without a planned calorie deficit for the first week or two. Get used to eating that way and getting enough sodium (I eat 1/2 tsp of salt with a chaser of water every morning) and worry about the calorie deficit later. Who knows, once you get used to it you may experience the reduced hunger and cravings that is common with the diet.

It is possible that low carb is not for you. If avoidance of certain foods leads to binging, then you may want to rethink your approach. As mentioned, perhaps leave room for those foods in your diet, or even increase your carb level if you have no medical need for low carbs. 150g of carbs is still considered to be low carb by most.

I'm the opposite, if I have a little then I want more. I needed to remove those foods entirely for a few months until I had different habits. Even now, years into a keto diet, if I have sweets more than once in a week, I am fighting cravings for days. I'm still not completely back on the wagon after Xmas. ;)
  • nikiready
    nikiready Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thanks guys. When the cravings hit i first turn to my allowed foods. I will have a few eggs, cheese, bacon and keto substitutes anything but what I am craving. But i would eat 2000 calories of those at midnight sometimes and it doesnt "hit the spot". I would be full but the craving is still there compared to One slice of cake or bread and it all goes away. After the calorie load with keto, I always end up eating the bread and the relief is immediate. But then I gain weight bc all that fat in my system and I am buring glucose. When i first tried low carb, i ddidnt have this problem at all so i am wondering if, after my initial success, low carb is no longer for me? Is my body protesting? And if it is what can i do?.... low carb is the only only thing that has ever worked with me and I have tried loads of diet. I even read a few books on self discipline but my body is fighting me.
  • jtomaszewski81
    jtomaszewski81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did south beach in 2004 and Lost 40 lbs. life happened and I gained 20 over 6 years. I kept trying low carb, and it wouldn’t “work” the second time.

It was only after I had kids and my weight ballooned, and my body chemistry bounced all over the place, that low carb worked again. I lost 60 in 2017, but gained 30 in 2018. I’m hoping this next reiteration “takes” but it’s only been a week. Good luck!