Hi - keto female hormones

Options
Hi,

I did also post on the keto forum so hoping I’m also alllowed to post a similar question here. I’m my 40s advises by gynaecologist to try low carb and wondered if any other females have tried and found it to have a positive effect on premenstrual tension?

Any feedback would be really great 👍

Thank you!

Replies

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My period "creeps up on me" when I am eating keto or carnivore. Like, woah, where did you come from?!

When I am eating more carbs ... I am looking at the calendar, counting the days, because I can feel the change in my mood occurring. Today I did it, in fact... and I'm like wow. Only day 25. Grrreat.

The difference is night & day. Seriously. Count yourself blessed to have a doctor who actually suggested it to you. I hope to see the day when many (MANY) more follow in her footsteps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm about 2 years post. I did meno "slow" not low. The lower and slower I went the better the PMS was. Good luck!
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    This is such great motivation thank you for sharing. Can I ask how long it took to see/feel the effects?

Did you do low carb or keto? Red meats/saturated fats?

It was so interesting that the consulate took suggested this as everyone else I speak to says healthy balalanced diet with lots of complex carbs which hasn’t helped to date (I’m sure if I had lived on crisps and sweets it would have worsened but my diet was very “healthy” just high carb).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    It regulated my period more at first, but now I'm dancing around peri menopause.... There's only so much the diet can do! :D

I'm over 3 1/2 years Keto. Ipthe first two years were really regular, 28-29 days, which was great for me. It also reduced cramping and my period was shorter. Less acne and fewer headaches too. Now I'm back to 21-30 days but the cramping and duration is still less.

I shudder to consider the hot flashes getting worse off Keto. ;):D
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    This is such great motivation thank you for sharing. Can I ask how long it took to see/feel the effects?

Did you do low carb or keto? Red meats/saturated fats?

It was so interesting that the consulate took suggested this as everyone else I speak to says healthy balalanced diet with lots of complex carbs which hasn’t helped to date (I’m sure if I had lived on crisps and sweets it would have worsened but my diet was very “healthy” just high carb).

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I'm going to respond anyway. :)

Our family switched to Paleo in 2012. I have zero fears of red meat or saturated fat.

I have had many stretches of strict keto over these years (including measuring blood ketones with meter at times).

I've also had times that were more just "low carb", like Whole 30.

I've done ~5 months of "really strict carnivore" and "ok, well, mostly carnivore" (<-- not really a thing :D) this year.

And there have been chunks of time over these years when... for one reason or another -- probably mostly due to stress and lack of sleep -- I have just mentally said screw it. And I've eaten things like tortilla chips, rice, and kettle cooked chips.

All of this to say -- that I can say, absolutely, without a doubt, that my PMS symptoms are greatly reduced or completely absent with my lowest carbohydrate intake.

I think the timeline will vary from person to person... it depends on your own personal journey. You will learn things about your body, what foods make you feel good and what doesn't, and you'll make adjustments along the way.

This discussion reminds me of an email I received from a friend a few years ago. It had been sent out by her fertility doctor, advocating a ketogenic diet to ALL of his patients. I was so happy to see it... I really thought we were moving forward -- this was such great news! But, after just finishing nursing school... knowing what is still being taught in all of the textbooks and on all of the tests... well. I know that we still have a long way to go.

Most of us here have had to actively, purposefully, educate ourselves over the years. And I would say many have even had to stand their ground and defend their way of eating with (at best) misinformed and (at worst) ignorant medical professionals. I think we all have our favorite experts online who we can turn to for the latest research and inspiring youtube videos, podcasts, etc. But having a healthcare professional in real life who not only "gets it" but is actively recommending low-carb / keto for their patients ... and is there to support you ... well. Like I said, that is a blessing. Enjoy! :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Peri-menopause and now actual menopause has been pretty easy on low carb. I will say that no-one in my family has had a normal menopause transition (amazingly scary number of 'female' issues) so I have no comparison. Before, I ate a very healthy natural foods higher carb (beans, brown rice) diet and had a very active lifestyle. That didn't help the horrible PMS and cramping. So in my case, I think LC/Keto helped.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and it helped regulate my period. I'm not sure I've noticed a big difference premenstrually though.
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I noticed post breastfeeding many years ago my premenstrual tension got progressively worse and once I hit forty it was horrendous. Two weeks of my life (melodramatic but true) wiped out. I’d feel permanently angry, cramping, hard to concentrate at work and tearful - completely related to hormones. Also have had hot flushes, irregular monthly time Brest pain etc.

Cricket power my questions Were directed to both of you so thank you 😂 It’s a slight chicken and egg situation in that I also crave carbs when hormonal (I know this is common) but it much worse now a days. Really interesting you had a friend who was also advised to go low carb by a health professional. I have had conflicted thoughts from health professionals obviously th gynaecologist was pro low carb but nutritionists and go not so - they said cutting carbs would lower serotonin. That’s why it’s regally great to get personal insights from those who have actually suffered - for me that’s the best evidence!

So amazing it has improved all of you and reread your posts for encouragement. Thank you.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm textbook PCOS, have had 2 kids I'm so close to 40 I can literally smell it hiding around the corner, and post children suddenly developed INSANE PMDD It came out of nowhere. Literally, or, it felt like that anyway. 3+ years ago my Gyno suggested I simply stay under 35 g of carbs daily. I've had Ups, downs, false starts, long stretches I'm pretty solid in the Low Carb camp now. I don't worry about ketosis, i just eat low carb (meat, appropriate veg, nuts, dairy) and I have noticed an incredible difference in my menstrual cycle. I'm not peri-menopausal or even menopausal (though sometimes....I would really like to be. I'm SOOOOO done with crimson tide, frankly)

I don't bloat, I don't cramp nearly as much, I don't have mood swings (SAY WHAT?!?!? it's true), i'm ridiculously regular (without medication or birth control to help), my cycle is still stupid heavy, but it's shorter overall and very predictable.

When I've upped my carbs, say over the holidays, (looking at you x-mas) I notice the change in my cycle immediately. When I decrease my carbs I notice the change in my cycle immediately. Like, If I reign the carbs in on the first of this month, I know my cycle this month will be so much better. It's insane. I can't say that enough SO INSANE. But there is science behind it so maybe Amazing is a better word.

I know you originally asked about peri-menopause @juststartedrunningagain but I share because I think it really really really works. Low Carb eating has a positive effect on cyclical hormones. Other folks have noted a decrease in acne, clearing of skin, etc. And LORD I AM READY FOR THAT but, I find not much has an impact on my acne...and my acne isn't bad honestly just annoying (i kind of hate finding grey hairs and acne on the same look in the mirror) and it's clearly related to my cycle. The only thing that reduces my hormone induced breakouts appears to be my consumption of dairy. and I haven't gone dairy free....I just use more Salicylic Acid acid that week. Maybe 2019 and 4 years into Low Carb is when I finaly let my death grip on dairy go.....maybe. we'll see. probably not. but.....maybe.
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I'm textbook PCOS, have had 2 kids I'm so close to 40 I can literally smell it hiding around the corner, and post children suddenly developed INSANE PMDD It came out of nowhere. Literally, or, it felt like that anyway. 3+ years ago my Gyno suggested I simply stay under 35 g of carbs daily. I've had Ups, downs, false starts, long stretches I'm pretty solid in the Low Carb camp now. I don't worry about ketosis, i just eat low carb (meat, appropriate veg, nuts, dairy) and I have noticed an incredible difference in my menstrual cycle. I'm not peri-menopausal or even menopausal (though sometimes....I would really like to be. I'm SOOOOO done with crimson tide, frankly)

I don't bloat, I don't cramp nearly as much, I don't have mood swings (SAY WHAT?!?!? it's true), i'm ridiculously regular (without medication or birth control to help), my cycle is still stupid heavy, but it's shorter overall and very predictable.

When I've upped my carbs, say over the holidays, (looking at you x-mas) I notice the change in my cycle immediately. When I decrease my carbs I notice the change in my cycle immediately. Like, If I reign the carbs in on the first of this month, I know my cycle this month will be so much better. It's insane. I can't say that enough SO INSANE. But there is science behind it so maybe Amazing is a better word.

I know you originally asked about peri-menopause @juststartedrunningagain but I share because I think it really really really works. Low Carb eating has a positive effect on cyclical hormones. Other folks have noted a decrease in acne, clearing of skin, etc. And LORD I AM READY FOR THAT but, I find not much has an impact on my acne...and my acne isn't bad honestly just annoying (i kind of hate finding grey hairs and acne on the same look in the mirror) and it's clearly related to my cycle. The only thing that reduces my hormone induced breakouts appears to be my consumption of dairy. and I haven't gone dairy free....I just use more Salicylic Acid acid that week. Maybe 2019 and 4 years into Low Carb is when I finaly let my death grip on dairy go.....maybe. we'll see. probably not. but.....maybe.

I’ve only just seen this thank you sooooo much for sharing. Interestingly my acne cake after having children- only on my back and guess what went away when I eliminated all dairy. I like milk though and as it was on my back I wasn’t too bothered. I know, for me it absolutely was dairy cut out for three months and it completely went and within a week of reintroducing skimmed milk they started coming back. I’m not willing to sacrifice all dairy just for that one thing though.

It’s so interesting your gynaecologist too recommended low carb. I wasn’t sure if it was a bit “faddy” as dismissed by other health care professionals. Sorry if I’ve mentioned that already. What really, really impacted me was your comment on mood. Yes I get cramps, dragging feeling, I overeat on carbs but it’s my mood that worries me most. I get over sensitive and really not myself. Tearful and angry with people I love. Then few days into the dreaded time - zap back to normal and think why on earth did I think or say that. Unless you experienced it I think it’s hard to empathise with how life changing it is- sounds melodramatic. I remember I had a very frightening female family member and as soon as she hit 50 she became softened and happy - and only later in life did she reveal she had severe pmt and welcomed menopause.

Thank you so much again for sharing it’s this sort of information that 1. Could motivate me to give it a go. 2. Of it works - life changing!

Can I ask your typical daily diet on keto? And do you keep anything like dark choc in? I’m a classic sweet tooth person and was always served two courses at meal times as a kid so expect a dessert 🧁 have brought some mascarpone!
    Options
    I’m so done with the crimson tide 😂😂me too!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @juststartedrunningagain

Im off and on with MFP and clearly I'm on again. :smiley: friend request me and you're welcome to my diary! I find tracking helps me when I'm....off track.

I'm not fanatical, I don't check for ketosis, I don't deny myself much (but I do check myself), I do try to stay under 35g carbs ( not net, just straight carbohydrates) and obv I eat dairy.

So yes, I eat chocolate and drink wine. Right now I need a pretty good check on myself so I'm not drinking at the moment.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I’m so done with the crimson tide 😂😂me too!

Loved that too! :D

It is really unfair that we need to go through the equivalent of puberty again to get there! LOL And that nature set it up so we probably have hormonal teen kids to deal with at the same time while doing so. ;)
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Doing 3 months strict keto actually stopped my cycle. No periods, no ovulation, no libido for 2 months. I can't tell if it was purely keto though as there's also the weight loss and calorie restriction.
    Few days into cheating during Christmas (spanned 9 days straight), I started ovulating again. This was high in carbs and calories. So I should be due a period in about a week. Knowing that I can easily restart up my cycle, I think I can enjoy that the diet stops the awful periods.

I know that some prior to LCHF diets have had hormone issues that corrected after a while on the diet. It effects people differently I suppose. I was on a normal, on the dot cycle beforehand. But again, could be a weight loss or calorie restriction thing. When I get to maintenance I'll know if it's the very low carbs doing it.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I didn't even know this was a "thing"! This explains why Aunt Flo has snuck up on me the last couple months. I usually have a couple days of "I HATE EVERYBODY" pms, but those didn't happen. Coincided directly with starting low-carb. I would have never guessed. What a great side effect!