Net carbs?

Options
bkabdullah1
bkabdullah1 Posts: 10 Member
Hi. I’m new to keto and to this board. I’m not sure about net carbs. Do I subtract the fiber grams from the total carbs to get the net carbs? I ate a 1/2 an avacado which was 6.7 total carbs the fiber was 5.2 do I subtract the fiber 5.2 from the total carbs 6.7 and end up with 1.5 net carb? I want to make sure I’m doing this correctly. Is the net carbs the carbs I’m suppose to track daily for the Keto Diet?
Thanks,
Brenda

Replies

• KetoLula
    KetoLula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep. Net carbs are Total Carbs - Fiber. We also subtract sugar alcohols from our carbs at out house. 😊
  • bkabdullah1
    Options
    Thank you! Is there somewhere in this app that it will calculate the net carbs or is that something we keep track of on our own?
  • kabamalam
    kabamalam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you download the extension thing posted here earlier, it puts the net carbs at the bottom :)
    MFP does not do net carbs by itself.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t subtract sugar alcohols.
    Dr Michael Eades created the net carb method and it was to encourage people to eat leafy greens. He has later said that he regrets it because of the way it is being used on sweeteners and added fiber. It is only intended to be applied to the fiber in vegetables.
  • bkabdullah1
    Options
    Ok, thank you ladies. I will try downloading the extension.
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    the extension thing?
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    cmbalint wrote: »
    the extension thing?

on the subreddit /r/keto sidebar there is an extension for a tampermonkey script to install on chrome, or greasemonkey for firefox.

https://old.reddit.com/r/keto/
    https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

Easiest way is just add fiber to your tracked nutrients and then do Carbs - fiber = Net Carbs. Sugar alcohols are a YMMV. Some artificial sweeteners can give a GI rise and might not be as no-carb as they claim. Still, mostly better than sugar.
  • markdvsmo
    markdvsmo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just arrange the food diary columns so that carbs appears next to fiber. With the numbers we're talking for keto, the math's easy enough to do instantly in your head. :)
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I simply track ALL Carbs.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    IronGiant0 wrote: »
    I simply track ALL Carbs.

Me too. I track total carbs.
  • mousey711mm
    mousey711mm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also do total carbs that way there is no question and nothing to calculate. I am one of the lucky ones though who can consume up to 50 grams per day and still be I ketosis. Most days I dont hit that though.
  • TheConsoleWars
    TheConsoleWars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    how do you know you're still in ketosis?