Any well controlled diabetics for YEARS out there?

Options
m8kitwork
m8kitwork Posts: 13 Member
I would LOVE to hear some stories about how you have controlled your diabetes over many years. There are so many different approaches out there... And I understand what works for one may be different than what works for the next. Even so, I'm looking for inspiration and knowledge from anyone who's got this under control long-term. My diabetes educator said everyone gets worse every 5 years or so... Tell me it's not so with hard work! :)o:)

I went from A1C 7.8 to 5.6 in the 3 months since diagnosed and have been able to maintain 5.7 for another 3 months. Taking Metformin 2xd and keeping carbs to 45 to a meal, with another 15-30 for snacks. I use a CGM so I can really track how different foods/stressors/activities/exercise affect me. Work is my biggest reason for blood sugar spikes that I can't control...

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Not long term, but I do have to keep my carbs way down. I can have an occasional meal with 45-60g, but only if I also have a few days where that is my total for the day. Attempting keto also made my body stress out and spiked my blood sugars.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I was not fully diabetic. I was fortunate enough to discover my status as a prediabetic early on when it is easier to treat.

I've been ketogenic for most of the last four years to stabilize my BG. BG stabilized within the first few weeks and pretty much stays there. I go off plan once in a while, which ends up looking horrible in terms of BG due to transient physiological IR, but over all my numbers are really good.

My fasting BG is still my highest of the day. No matter what I do, my FBG is a high normal or prediabetic due to dawn phenomenon. I may look into metformin if it starts to climb higher.

Now I eat an almost carnivorous diet. It makes worrying about BG mostly a non issue. :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2016 with an A1C of 12.8. I started metformin and checking glucose all the time to monitor what was going on. I tried a keto diet and found I could control the glucose levels by reducing carbs.

I got my A1C in the 5's with metformin and diet. The doctor reduced and then eliminated the metformin. A1C has been in the high 5's with just the keto diet.

So - this does not qualify as really long term. I have found something that works for me though. I expect it to keep working. My numbers responded well to the diet, and I find it easy to follow.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Ahoy, everyone. Happy 2019!

I've had my BG under pretty good control (A1c 5.0-5.5) since I started keto 3 years ago.

However..... I haven't been able to reverse osteopenia or sarcopenia (loss of lean tissue), despite ramping up protein and being pretty religious about taking vitamin D, k2, boron & magnesium. It has also been disappointing that my fasting insulin is still too high. (7.5 - 8). For that reason, I'm still on metformin (Oceanside, a gentler generic).

I've tried variations on intermittent fasting - I'm currently maintaining an early feeding window (around 8 hours, early morning to late afternoon) with protein front-loaded, as suggested by some of the circadian rhythm experts. It's not my preference, but I've been persuaded by sensible-sounding talking heads to try it for a couple of months.

Switching from obsessive fingersticking to a Freestyle Libre (calibrated non-obsessively using smartphone apps in place of the official Reader) has been a revelation in many ways. The stubborn dawn phenomenon resists all counter-efforts but - *whew* - has not gotten significantly worse since I started eating what seems like a ton of protein in the morning.
  • m8kitwork
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Under excellent control for 3 years.

Using a "veganized" LCHF diet, 30 min/day exercise, and generic metformin ER I'm able to stay at my ideal weight and stay in the "5% Club".

The "5% Club" means my A1c is less than 6. 5 hr post meal (fasting) blood glucose levels are less than 100. 2 hour post meal glucose levels are less than 120.

I could probably get off the generic metformin ER. But I like it (I'm a MD) and will stay on it. I also like my BP med and statin.

Thanks for sharing, this fascinates me... Tell me more about a "veganized" LCHF diet? What amount of carbs do you aim for? Do you care about protein and/or use protein supplements? So far I find counting macros easiest, but need to get better quality in my macros :)

I've been reading all about approaches that are whole foods, plant based and oil-free that promise to "reverse diabetes". Eating more greens and vegetables sounds great, but I can't imagine how I could stay well-controlled with unlimited carbs - even healthy ones like fruits and whole grains. That said, I know imagining is no good - testing would be better. But even oatmeal makes me spike more than reasonable.

I too have opted to stay on metformin (not ER) as I just have so much more energy which makes working on diet and exercise much easier.
  • m8kitwork
    Options
    Ralflott I love the libre sensor. It gives me so much information to help me dial in my control.