What breaks a fast?

Options
NicoleL874
NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
Ok, I've been doing IF 16/8 since the beginning of November. Started keto just after Thanksgiving. I am a coffee drinker. I will not give it up. I've given up a lot of my comforts, it will not go. I'm trying to figure out how I can drink it.

Heavy whipping cream and 1/2 and 1/2 are no gos. I have no gallbladder. I can eat the crap outta dairy, and can drink milk, but my body will NOT do those. Disaster pants. I've tried taking digestive enzymes, and yadda yadda, it's a no. I do not like almond milk, and can't stand the taste of coconut in my coffee. (I have milkadamia in my pantry to try next...in the meantime)

Oddly enough, my body can handle MCT oil. I didn't have to introduce it like many do. HOWEVER, the program I've been following claims that anything over 50 calories will break a fast. I've asked for research, and am waiting for that. In the mean time, I've been doing my own research. SO...my question to you guys is:

What do you consider breaking a fast and why?

More than 50 calories (or some other arbitrary number, or do you have the research to help me understand?)

MCT oil is processed in the liver, doesn't cause a spike in insulin, doesn't start the digestive process, so it's not disrupting the biologic process of a fast, but it does quickly convert to ketones for energy, so your body now has a source of energy NOT your own fat. Does that break the "fast"?

Some people claim that MCT and butter won't break the fast because again, no spike in insulin.

Other ideas? Thoughts? HELP!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Technically, anything other than water or plain coffee/tea breaks a fast. That being said, some people in this WOE have success with fat fasts, but that's usually for extended fasting. For IF, I would try to drink the coffee black, but if a bit of MCT makes it more sustainable and doesn't stall whatever benefits you are hoping to achieve with IF, then go for it!

TL;DR - YMMV
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I am a black coffee drinker. I don't like BPC. I don't like coconut oil. I don't like MCT. lol blech. all of those are super gross so, I don't feel compelled to add anything to my coffee.

I am of the school that fasting is just that. Nothing but plain tea, black coffee, or water. I don't do research on that It's just my personal way of working. People have lots of success drinking coffee with cream, oil, even BPC while fasting. It may work for you, but for me a fast is a fast nothing with calories.

Yes, coffee has calories. But the estimated 9 calories in 16oz of black coffee I'm willing to overlook while IFing. I can't justify overlooking 25, 50, or even 100.

It really comes down to why your fasting. Most of us are Intermittently fasting for either 1) weight loss 2) appetite control 3) insulin control 4) mind over mater control over food or for some other health related reason. So, figure out what fasting means for you personally and what level of caloric intake qualifies as "Fasting" while you're meeting your health goals.

• cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My totally non-scientific mind thinks consuming anything with calories breaks a fast. But, at the end of the day, what really matters for you is why you are fasting. If it's just for weight loss and things are going fine with your MCT oil, then have it! For me, this is all about trial and error.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You have been doing IF since November, why are you looking to change whatever you do with your coffee now???

If it's been fine for the last couple months, just keep up whatever you are doing.
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    You have been doing IF since November, why are you looking to change whatever you do with your coffee now???

If it's been fine for the last couple months, just keep up whatever you are doing.

No, it's not been fine for the past couple of months. I wasn't doing keto when I first started IF. When I went keto, I ditched the creamer I've been using. I tried changing to heavy whipping cream. I have no gallbladder. While I am not lactose intolerant, my lack of gallbladder disallows me to drink heavy whipping cream. With so many dietary changes going on, it took me a bit to figure out that was the problem. I've been trying since the beginning of December to find a way to drink my coffee and enjoy it. I've been trying different nut milks, 1/2&1/2, etc since. Someone told me to try MCT. So I did. I like it. Don't need any type of artificial sweetener in it even.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

No, it's not been fine for the past couple of months. I wasn't doing keto when I first started IF. When I went keto, I ditched the creamer I've been using. I tried changing to heavy whipping cream. I have no gallbladder. While I am not lactose intolerant, my lack of gallbladder disallows me to drink heavy whipping cream. With so many dietary changes going on, it took me a bit to figure out that was the problem. I've been trying since the beginning of December to find a way to drink my coffee and enjoy it. I've been trying different nut milks, 1/2&1/2, etc since. Someone told me to try MCT. So I did. I like it. Don't need any type of artificial sweetener in it even.

Well if the MCT oil works...then keep doing it.
    Why are you doing IF?

I'll admit I'm not the biggest personal fan of IF. I've tried all kinds. Fat fasting. Under 50cal. Zero cal. All of it makes me a serious crab. I'm scary. But I do pull it out and use it sometimes. IF isn't magic. It helps a lot of people manage their calorie intake. And some people report benefits to blood sugar and hormone regulation and appetite. I just plain use it from time to time when I know people in my life are going to calorie bomb me sometime in the day, so I don't eat until the calorie bomb. I can usually do it well one day a week. I can go until 5pm on just coffee. Don't ask me to do it the next day. Again, scary! People run. :lol:

Do what works for you, and if 50 cal of MCT works, and you are getting the progress you are looking for, then why fix what ain't broke?
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Well if the MCT oil works...then keep doing it.
    Why are you doing IF?

I'll admit I'm not the biggest personal fan of IF. I've tried all kinds. Fat fasting. Under 50cal. Zero cal. All of it makes me a serious crab. I'm scary. But I do pull it out and use it sometimes. IF isn't magic. It helps a lot of people manage their calorie intake. And some people report benefits to blood sugar and hormone regulation and appetite. I just plain use it from time to time when I know people in my life are going to calorie bomb me sometime in the day, so I don't eat until the calorie bomb. I can usually do it well one day a week. I can go until 5pm on just coffee. Don't ask me to do it the next day. Again, scary! People run. :lol:

Do what works for you, and if 50 cal of MCT works, and you are getting the progress you are looking for, then why fix what ain't broke?

OMG, how much insight into my brain to you have a tolerance for? lol

Long story short, I've lost over 50% of my body weight. Life has happened. Things have changed. The weight crept back up. Old tricks were no longer working. I had regained 30lbs and needed to do something. I knew a lot of my issue was mindless eating more than what I was eating. So, yadda yadda, IF. Gave it a shot. It worked, dropped water quick. Can't eat a lot, even grazing for 8 hours. Research more, tried keto before, realized what I had done wrong, tried again right after Thanksgiving. My own health issues have made it difficult, but sorting all that out...ANYWAY.

IF seems to work for my anxiety and own "brain issues". So yeah, I'm probably way over thinking and if I just allow myself to have it the way I like it and can tolerate it, I should be fine. I like/need rules. I think part of me is craving to know why to incorporate it...while part of me really does want to know what works for others, and what research has been found to support/debunk the fasting rules.

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I understand needing wanting rules for things. If the issue is your morning coffee, keep experimenting until you find something you like. Once you find something you like then figure out how to incorporate into IF if you choose to continue it.

It's natural for people to need/want Low Carb to be a clear cut rules based system that they can "work" . That's what Diets are, right?! The reality is though, it's this thing that we have to understand, and we have to understand our own bodies, and we have to find a way that works for us, as the individuals we are. And that's super frustrating for rule followers. :smiley:
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I understand needing wanting rules for things. If the issue is your morning coffee, keep experimenting until you find something you like. Once you find something you like then figure out how to incorporate into IF if you choose to continue it.

It's natural for people to need/want Low Carb to be a clear cut rules based system that they can "work" . That's what Diets are, right?! The reality is though, it's this thing that we have to understand, and we have to understand our own bodies, and we have to find a way that works for us, as the individuals we are. And that's super frustrating for rule followers. :smiley:

I work in a profession of "it depends". That's why I try to read and see what others do, and then try to get opinions of those that have tried. Then, apply to what I'm trying to do. @baconslave hit the nail on the head asking WHY I'm doing IF. I guess if it's for the rules, I can play more and see what works for me...

I appreciate you guys willing to help someone stumbling and understanding we all learn different ways.
  • cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

I work in a profession of "it depends". That's why I try to read and see what others do, and then try to get opinions of those that have tried. Then, apply to what I'm trying to do. @baconslave hit the nail on the head asking WHY I'm doing IF. I guess if it's for the rules, I can play more and see what works for me...

I appreciate you guys willing to help someone stumbling and understanding we all learn different ways.

Funny, this is kinda why I'm doing IF too. To see just how much I do eat, how many carbs, etc. The other reason is due to what baconslave said, I'm constantly preparing for a calorie/carb bomb. I don't want to get off track. I'm like you, I like rules and I like to know why. I don't do MCT oil and I haven't researched it. I know it's HUGE in the keto world. I'm sure I would find a billion reasons to add it, but I'm just not a fan of adding calories that don't do one of two things a) cause me to chew or b) taste good. But that's just me, so I'd say I'm more low carb than keto b/c I'm not adding extra fat!

Now that I've rambled on. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I have found flavored coffees. I had a Donut Shop Nutty Caramel this morning. No cals/carbs/etc. It was pretty good. I was shocked as I hate black coffee. I have a few other flavors to try also. Maybe that might be an option for you?