foods you dont mess with or lose control

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
I just bought sea salt peanuts and oh my, thought they were healthy but I could not control myself, those things were too good. I was thinking about Xmas foods like scallopped potatoes, macaroni and cheese,broccoli casserole, all with lots of carbs so I was leaving them alone now but peanuts are healthy but not for me it seems. Maybe it was the sea salt, I dont remember getting carried away with other nuts. Anyone else have to leave nuts or other foods low in carbs alone? I thought I was safe with peanuts, low carb but guess not.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I pretty much avoid fruits, even lower carb ones, because once I start I just cannot stop...so I don't start unless I just have a small amount left in the house.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Nuts and cheese can sometimes be a problem for me, but mostly it's not so much the food as my "mood." I need to straighten my attitude out first and foremost.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Cheese... And definitely but butters! I can eat a tub of the latter.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have to be very careful with Cheese. I have no off switch.
  • Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a problem for me. I think I will just have a little bit, an ounce, with a cup of coffee, to finish my dinner, but once I have eaten that little bit I want another bit and so on. It is an addiction for me. I read once that there is something in cheese which makes it addictive - I cant remember what is is called, but even knowing that I continued to eat cheese. Recently I have managed to control my addiction and have lost lbs. I am now at my lowest weight since 2012. I still want to lose another 16 lbs and am determined to do that by my birthday at the end of April.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    itzcath wrote: »
    My nemisis is peanut butter. If I don't put my portion in a measuring container things get ugly.

Not even allowed in my home. If it were a drug, I'd be a junkie. I cannot control myself with it, even if I try to say "Oh, just a measured TBS". Nope.

If I need it for a recipe, I go to stores that have the fresh ground and get what I need. The struggle is real, lol!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It would be pecans and cashews for me. So easy to over eat without realizing it! I will count out a portion and purposely eat them slowly so I can enjoy them and remember eating them!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chips. Especially nachos.
  • mmultanen
    Options
    NAAAACHOS. I love nachos. LOVE THEM. I tried a bunch of substitutes for tortilla chips including the whole mini pepper thing. yeah. no. that's....not nachos. I have had some limited success with plain unseasoned pork rinds.

I've recently become a pork rind connoisseur. lol
  • t2leary
    t2leary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nuts other than almonds are hard for me to regulate. I have to put them in a measuring cup and promise myself not to go back for seconds.
  • cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nuts, definitely. I have to portion them. For PB and almond butter, I buy the pre-portioned individual packs. I know they are more expensive, but that's what works for me. Yep, tortilla chips but I didn't have them very often in the past and still don't.

And surprisingly, gum. Once I get started, I want to chew piece after piece.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    oh yes I got carried away with gum also, had to give that up. Peanut butter and cheese does not bother me at all. Those nuts definitely get to me, I can eat them til I have a tummy ache. Yes I will give them up for now, and if I go back small packages definitely or I will weigh them and put in baggies. I got tired of pork rhinds after a while so they don't bother me. Thanks, it is something to see how people have different stuff to trigger them.
  • mmultanen
    Options
    The only kind of nuts I get in trouble with are the spiced nuts my friend and mother make around the holidays. my brain goes "oh! nuts, they're good for you, let's eat them" and I have to remind my brain these aren't just any old nuts they're covered in deliciousness and I will eat them till I'm sick.

Regular, plain, unsalted any other kind of nut I can portion out and be happy with. but these? I run the other way when I see they've been made.
  • Genmon02
    Genmon02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fruit! Thats what caused me to derail. It was summer, and the frutero (fruit salesman lol) would bring these big containers of delicious looking fruit mix and I would fall for it everytime. So yea, if I eat berries, I count them out or else I'll eat a whole container.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    So cricket power interestingly my brain was almost on fire it lit up so much. Yet yesterday all these things were tempting but I could easily ignore... today all gone.
  • numyummybutter
    numyummybutter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Berries. Berries, for me, are a gateway sweet :(