Keto and Fibre

001Mindset
001Mindset Posts: 5 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
Hey all. Anyone have tips on how to get more fibre please? Finding hard without increasing my carb macro

Is it correct that mfp does not subtract fibre from carb macro? I do this myself? So if I had 30g carbs and 10g fibre I really only have 20g carbs?

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    yup that's basically it but depending upon where you live and therefore where the person who posted the food in mfp! In the UK our foods are always labeled net carbs with the fibre taken off already so if you were to look at a food entered on mfp by me it would have the net and not the total carbs which could set you all wrong if you then subtracted the fibre again. The easiest thing to do I find, is to check individual items for yourself and know what is in the things you use regularly. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    If you want more fibre, sticking with whole plant foods for your carbs is the way to go. Processed carbs usually have less fibre.

I tend to not worry about fibre. The higher fat content of my diet takes care of regularity and does not creat a bunch of gas. Win win. ;)
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Look into Flackers. It's helped me pass easier while adapting to keto and give a crunch close enough to a chip/cracker. It's flax seeds and 2 or 3 other clean ingredients. Most of them will have a serving of 100 calories with 8 grams of carbs 7 grams of fiber for a net of 1 carb per serving. Easiest thing to do is reset your MFP in the setting to display carbs/fiber/sugar(or salt if you are dealing with keto flu)/protein/fat as those are keys in keto.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    @qweck3 -thanks for the suggestion -I definitely miss having something crunchy, especially with cheese or hummus, and this sounds like it will fit the bill!
  • I eat a lot of low-carb tortillas and Carbquik, both of which are very high fiber. The problem is that they seem to be all insoluble fiber with no soluble fiber. So when baking with Carbquik I'll add flax meal to balance that out.
    I definitely miss having something crunchy, especially with cheese or hummus, and this sounds like it will fit the bill!

Mission brand Carb Balance tortillas make excellent tortilla chips. Cut into triangles, spritz with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt/pepper/seasonings of your choice, bake on a wire rack at 400 for 8-10 minutes (watch them like a hawk after 8).

Or, if you don't mind the extra calories, deep fry them at 350 until golden.
  • wendaeh
    wendaeh Posts: 14 Member
    I add Benefiber to morning coffee along with eating lots of raw leafy veggies at lunch and dinner.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited December 2018
    There is a user script that will allow you to see net carbs on MFP. It and instructions are at this link : https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

As far as getting more fiber, your best options are either high fiber vegetables or supplementing with Psyllium husk.

The daily recommendations are fairly modest.
  • dowhatrightis
    dowhatrightis Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2018
    Most veggies have extremely low net carbs. Just make sure that's where most of your carbs come from (and not say, keto bread replacements) and you'll be fine. You should be getting probably at least 8 oz of veggies a day. If not more.

I had this issue my first week, figuring that out. It did NOT feel good. Hahahaha.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    Most veggies have extremely low net carbs. Just make sure that's where most of your carbs come from (and not say, keto bread replacements) and you'll be fine. You should be getting probably at least 8 oz of veggies a day. If not more.

I had this issue my first week, figuring that out. It did NOT feel good. Hahahaha.

Yeah, not making bread replacements was the right decision for me, and I'm glad i made that at like day 5 instead of now. I'm 146 days into this, 144 keto days, and my carb splurges are usually for higher carb veggies. Collards are worth the carbs though. Carrots too. 10 carbs, 6 net, from yesterday came from eating 1 can of collards, split between 2 meals. Those were well worth it. 10 carbs coming from eating the tiniest bite of a loaf of bread, not worth it. Gladly, the carb cravings do end.

*edit*
    To be clear, I made keto bread.. and like most "keto" recipes i found early on, it was anything but keto friendly. It was people lying to themselves about how many servings something would make and how many they would eat. My first keto loaf, i made in a loaf pan, was like 1 small slice for a ton of carbs. My recipe I tweaked with before just stopping altogether on trying to make sweets and breads, was 8 servings per standard loaf pan. 13 total carbs, 7 net carbs. That sounds fine, I grant you..but the fat was 48g, and protein was 18g. 518 calories per slice.. it isn't worth it. This stuff was too calorie dense to ever make sense in a diet. At least for me. Compare that to my Cabbage and Kielbasa, which is 20 total carbs, 18 net, 530 calories per serving (a good bowl size), and 38g fat, 28g protein, I know which I'd go with for a once-in-a-while treat.

I always found that as well.
    Even if the recipe turned out decent in texture and taste (which it usually didn't really) I didn't have enough calories left after the keto bread or biscuit to put anything on it. The closer you get to goal, the more your calories go down. I want to eat 500 cals of meat, dairy, and some greens instead of a slice of not-that-great keto bread with nothing. Plus, the ingredients are expensive, and like I said, it doesn't taste great enough to sacrifice over. I quit that a long time ago.
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    I gave up on the breads also. Too calorie dense without nutrients I'm looking for. And almond flour is much too high in Omega 6's for me.

I haven't been having any problem getting enough fiber, I average 20-25 g/day. Half a cup of cooked greens (turnip, collards, kale, spinach, etc) in chicken stock with a teaspoon of good butter and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast is my daily lunch. Chia pudding made with whole milk Greek yogurt and coconut milk, inulin and potato starch also makes regular appearances on my menu.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    If I am REALLY niccing for bread, I just do the cloud bread (i spread it over a jelly roll pan, instead of those little rounds, and cut it into 8 squares) ...that typically does the trick for me, but more often than not, I just wrap whatever it is in a big lettuce leaf and keep it moving...!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Flax and chia are your friends! 🎶

Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Kale

On the bread topic- when I miss it- I make a few almond flour/coconut flour biscuits
    It’s the only recipe combo that tastes remotely like bread! I even used it for stuffing and all the bread connoisseurs even ate it!
  • Karenapet
    Karenapet Posts: 1 Member
    I actually found a great recipe chalk full of fiber. It's overnight noats (no oats) and I was really missing morning oatmeal for awhile:

-2 tbsp ground flax,
    -1 tbsp chia seed,
    -3 tbsp hulled hemp seeds,
    -1/2 cup almond milk, (I use more but I like my oatmeal more runny)
    -1 serving of your sweetener of choice.

Combine, leave in fridge overnight. Bam, half (or more) of your daily fiber. Eat cold or nuke for 30 seconds to 1 minute. You can add various things too, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, peanut butter, protein powder...you get the idea. Super quick and easy, you can also meal prep these and make a weeks worth to have in the fridge.
  • scody311
    scody311 Posts: 12 Member
    I've been adding spinach and onions to almost all meals. So good! I know that onions can be carby, but... I don't add enough to make it matter.
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    Oh man, I forgot I have a container of chia getting dusty!!!! YES!!!! I also have whole flax. I'm gonna make something Fiber-ful!!!!!!

Thank you for this post!!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 276 Member
    Karenapet wrote: »
    I actually found a great recipe chalk full of fiber. It's overnight noats (no oats) and I was really missing morning oatmeal for awhile:

-2 tbsp ground flax,
    -1 tbsp chia seed,
    -3 tbsp hulled hemp seeds,
    -1/2 cup almond milk, (I use more but I like my oatmeal more runny)
    -1 serving of your sweetener of choice.

Combine, leave in fridge overnight. Bam, half (or more) of your daily fiber. Eat cold or nuke for 30 seconds to 1 minute. You can add various things too, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, peanut butter, protein powder...you get the idea. Super quick and easy, you can also meal prep these and make a weeks worth to have in the fridge.

Hi Karenapet,
    I'd like to try this with berries. Does it taste nice ? What's the nutritional value of Noats please ?xxx🥣🌼