Maxed protein macro but loads of cals and fat left...?

Options
Sebo123
Sebo123 Posts: 14 Member
Started keto a few weeks ago and have macros worked out to a count for 1358 cals a day and Correct split to stay under 20g carbs etc. I'm tracking everything and only having 2 meals a day due to IF but I'm finding I'm running out of protein grams but still have over 500 cals and loads of fat left and struggling with evening meal due to it.
Can't add cheese as it has protein, can't add extra meat as protein... I'm only having a salad of chicken or tuna at lunch so not like I'm eating half a cow? Tonight I've had to add extra olive oil to my prawn/zoodle dish to make up for the cals and fat but I've got hardly any king prawns in there, it's literally olive oil, prawns and shredded courgettes? No cheese, cream cheese !!
Any tips on where I'm going wrong?
I see all these posts on Insta with loads of cheese, meat but I wouldn't have the calories or protein to have more than 1 meal a day at that rate?
Help please

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can go over on protein if you need to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I agree. Just go over on protein but perhaps have a slightly fattier source.

Extra protein is a good thing when losing - it helps preserve lean tissue and many find it very satiating.

Some worry that too much protein may knock them out of ketosis but they usually don't need to. Very high levels of protein, like over 200g+, could lower your ketones but unless you have a medical need for high ketones, it generally is not a concern. More ketones does not equal more weight lost.

Some with insulin resistance will find that lots of protein will raise their BG somewhat, but that is not a universal reaction. It's just something to consider and test for if you are in that boat.

What is your protein intake? A moderate intake is often considered to be about 70-150g.
  • Sebo123
    Options
    My protein is 76g = 22%
    Thanks so much for advice, appreciate it. Its hard when you're just starting out!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I never worry about protein. If I'm still hungry after eating what I've intended to eat for the day I'll focus on adding protein. I find that it satiates me faster than anything, and that feeling lasts longer. Really, my only goal is to focus on limiting straight grams of Carbohydrates so as long as I'm meeting that goal for myself I don't concern myself with other macros etc.
  • RAFLowCarb
    RAFLowCarb Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The other thing to think about is to just eat to satiety. 1358 calories is still quite low. Try chicken thighs with skin on and fattier cuts to up the fat while protein stays lower. Plus tastier!!
  • Sebo123
    Options
    RAFLowCarb wrote: »
    The other thing to think about is to just eat to satiety. 1358 calories is still quite low. Try chicken thighs with skin on and fattier cuts to up the fat while protein stays lower. Plus tastier!!

I found I ran out of calories quicker when going for fattier cuts. I'll relax a bit on my protein worries just ensure the carbs are on point, I appreciate all your comments. Thanks
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If you’re still hungry, add a fat to the meal, such as I mentioned in another group, a homemade hollandaise sauce (equal parts butter and hwc then season to taste and add to any meat), cook in butter, use ranch or blue cheese dressing for a dip with chicken... If your satisfied, you’re good. You don’t have to meet a fat gram number daily. Actually you would rather your body burn its own fat instead of what you eat anyway.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Protein is a minimum goal. Not a limit. You can go over as much as you like within your calorie goals.