Hair loss?

Options
Everyonelies
Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
Hello all,

So...I have many reasons for hair loss, genetics on dad's side of the family, PCOS and now...possibly Keto?

Have any of you noticed a difference in your hair after starting Keto?

I seem to be thinning out, a lot, but mostly on the right side of my head...I can see my scalp very easily now... I was thinning BEFORE keto, but after 3 months, I feel like chunks fall out every time I run my hand through my hair...

Because of family history and hormone fluctuations, I dont know if hair regrowth is even a possibility, but I would hate for keto to be contributing to the loss

Replies

• Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My hair hasn't changed. Shed the same amount I did before, during a wash.
    Are you getting enough calories and nutrition? You could get a blood test for nutrition if not sure, otherwise it's likely the other two things you mention.
    This is me personally though so perhaps someone else who comments after has experienced it.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I have very fine and thin hair. When I did Keto the first time I did have hair loss (1-4 months) that was alarming to me. But it grew back.
    This time around I have not noticed any loss.
    As you have other contributing factors it may or may not be your PCOS and hormone levels adjusting to Keto. I can tell you that in the past the keto diet restored and regulated my period and stopped all cramps. Which is huge hormonal change for the good. So along with a clearer brain, better skin, more energy, weight loss and my hormones on plan! Keto can be great for PCOS.
    I'd like to add that if you color your hair you may want to look into a different more gentle brand. Also during my hair loss I adjusted my hair color and style (side parting) to make it less alarming.
    Please see your doctor and ask for blood tests because something small might be off and easy to corrected.
    If you have any further questions you may message me directly :) Zandra
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My hair and scalp are better along with my skin. No more having to shampoo every day to keep the flaking skin at bay, no more split ends, and my hair naturally shines even if I don't use keratin in it. And yes, I'm a guy who takes care his hair. :smile:

Agree with the other comments - make sure you're getting enough nutrition/calories, and if you're worried have that blood work done to make sure hormone levels and vitamins and all that are okay. Good luck!
  • giddysd
    giddysd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mine started to feel like it was getting thin, especially in the front. I started taking biotin vitamin daily. It is helping! the woman who does my hair even noticed it feels thicker. plus my nails have never looked better
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is common with weight loss regardless of method used. It's a response to the cortisol released because of the physical stress of losing weight and can also be triggered by sudden weight gain.

It can also be a symptom of a thyroid issue, but assuming that has been checked then the hair will grow back once weight stabilizes or the body adapts to the rate of loss, usually a few weeks or a few months.
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I started to notice more hairs in the brush every morning at about the 4 month period. As mentioned already, a stress reaction to losing weight can cause this happen as well as not having enough protein in your diet. I raised my macro for protein and added daily collagen and now (7 months into keto) the hair loss seems to be tapering off.

If weight loss and/or low protein is the cause then your hair should regrow.
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    My hair hasn't changed. Shed the same amount I did before, during a wash.
    Are you getting enough calories and nutrition? You could get a blood test for nutrition if not sure, otherwise it's likely the other two things you mention.
    This is me personally though so perhaps someone else who comments after has experienced it.

Thanks @larkspur94! I did raise my calories and protein a bit...from 1400 to 1600...and I do try and go over my protein macros already...I will be requesting blood work for this!
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    KetoZandra wrote: »
    I have PCOS too. I have very fine and thin hair. When I did Keto the first time I did have hair loss (1-4 months) that was alarming to me. But it grew back.
    This time around I have not noticed any loss.
    As you have other contributing factors it may or may not be your PCOS and hormone levels adjusting to Keto. I can tell you that in the past the keto diet restored and regulated my period and stopped all cramps. Which is huge hormonal change for the good. So along with a clearer brain, better skin, more energy, weight loss and my hormones on plan! Keto can be great for PCOS.
    I'd like to add that if you color your hair you may want to look into a different more gentle brand. Also during my hair loss I adjusted my hair color and style (side parting) to make it less alarming.
    Please see your doctor and ask for blood tests because something small might be off and easy to corrected.
    If you have any further questions you may message me directly :) Zandra

@KetoZandra I was reading up oin how it can start to thin out after a few months on a diet...I have stages were it will fall out then it stops...but I am around the 4 month mark...so maybe some of it is from Keto...

My symptoms for PCOS have actually gotten worse! I would never really cramp or feel any PMS symptoms, and now I feel super drained a whole week before my period!! I am moody, either angry or emotional, and just feel all around crappy! I am giving it time for everything to adjust, and hopefully for the Hirsutism to stop! Why cant the hair on my chin just grow on my head!?!?! lol

I am hoping for all these positive changes, so far it has just been the weight loss, which has been great, but I want to start feeling like I look...a whole lot better! ;)

I did stop coloring my hair for the same reason...didn't want to damage the little I have left...I hope that changes with time!
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    My hair and scalp are better along with my skin. No more having to shampoo every day to keep the flaking skin at bay, no more split ends, and my hair naturally shines even if I don't use keratin in it. And yes, I'm a guy who takes care his hair. :smile:

Agree with the other comments - make sure you're getting enough nutrition/calories, and if you're worried have that blood work done to make sure hormone levels and vitamins and all that are okay. Good luck!

@shelbydodgeguy For a second I had to think back "wait, I thought this was a guy!" lol
    Nothing wrong with taking care of yourself in all aspects! And if you have a good head of hair, I am jealous!!

Last blood work I had done showed everything was in order...but I had just started keto a month prior to that...I have another check up in 2 weeks, we shall see what happens!

• Everyonelies
    Options
    giddysd wrote: »
    mine started to feel like it was getting thin, especially in the front. I started taking biotin vitamin daily. It is helping! the woman who does my hair even noticed it feels thicker. plus my nails have never looked better

I go back and forth with Biotin, I feel like it doesnt do anything for me...I was even taking the maximum strength one...I should go back...if it doesnt help, it doesnt hurt...
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    Hair loss is common with weight loss regardless of method used. It's a response to the cortisol released because of the physical stress of losing weight and can also be triggered by sudden weight gain.

It can also be a symptom of a thyroid issue, but assuming that has been checked then the hair will grow back once weight stabilizes or the body adapts to the rate of loss, usually a few weeks or a few months.

@tcunbeliever I do have my thyroid checked every year, and has been checked regularly because of my PCOS... My dads side of the family has thin hair...and I am hoping and praying to all Gods, saints, and putting it out in the Universe that is more related to diet and hormones, and that it can be reversed because I would be soooooo upset if being the only daughter (have 2 younger brothers with great hair), I am the one who is short, overweight, has hormone issues and BALD! :s
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    NCSophie wrote: »
    I started to notice more hairs in the brush every morning at about the 4 month period. As mentioned already, a stress reaction to losing weight can cause this happen as well as not having enough protein in your diet. I raised my macro for protein and added daily collagen and now (7 months into keto) the hair loss seems to be tapering off.

If weight loss and/or low protein is the cause then your hair should regrow.

@NCSophie I did add collagen to my routine, maybe not as consistent as I should be, but it gets taken! I also raised my calories and protein...

I think the stress of losing hair is making me lose it even more...so it just sucks all around...
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @shelbydodgeguy For a second I had to think back "wait, I thought this was a guy!" lol
    Nothing wrong with taking care of yourself in all aspects! And if you have a good head of hair, I am jealous!!

Last blood work I had done showed everything was in order...but I had just started keto a month prior to that...I have another check up in 2 weeks, we shall see what happens!

I've always tried to take care of my skin & hair, especially since I deal with autoimmune issues that leave my face with red patches and flaky scalp before keto. My skin is still a bit ruddy but not terrible like it was before unless I have a bad flare-up day.