Discouraged with fasting

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
I've been back on keto for about 2 weeks. I haven't lost any weight this past week, and I only lost 2lbs the first week. I didn't get a "woosh" like I did the other times. I usually drop a lot more than 2lbs in the beginning, and it's not because I don't have as much to lose, cuz I definitely do lol! I'm over 200lb, 20 of that was gained over the holidays and a very stressful time. So, I did a 24 hour fast yesterday. My goals are weight loss and autophagy to help prevent loose skin. I thought I'd lose at LEAST a pound from that. NOPE! only down .4lbs, which could be what I peed out before weighing :'( I'm considering stretching the fast another day, but it's tough and I'm HUNGRY, and I don't want to suffer all this hunger for nothing! Knowing it is helping me lose weight is what makes it bearable, but it isn't helping. Wth

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks, give it more time.

Many people take closer to 3 weeks just to adapt, and every time you start again can be a different adaptation time because our bodies are not machines and almost nothing is really linear in terms of change. Could be the time of year? The time of month? Stress levels? Any number of things could be making this time different than previous times.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm on my second time doing Keto a year apart.
    My first time starting at 206lb I had a huge water loss at the beginning about 10 lbs in the 1st 2 weeks, then it went to a normal loss as the weeks followed.
    This time my body has reacted differently (I'm on week 5) my initial weight loss was 4 lb, but the following weeks have been bigger loses than my 1st go around. So compared to last time my loss is the same or a little better but it's happening differently.

• knorris84
    knorris84 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    KarlaYP wrote: »
    I had soooo many times during my weight loss phase of this thing that I didn’t lose weight on the scale! Many times that I could have thrown in the towel and just given up. But I chose not to because I was seeing subtle changes in other ways; my pants weren’t as tight, my headaches days were beginning to be less than they had been! I was here reading about others who were experiencing some of the same things I was, or who had, and had persisted and made it through, and were so glad they had (like me!)! I know, without this group, I would have given up for sure! I gained knowledge on what to expect and how to just stay the course and I would eventually see results!! I did!!

The carb withdrawals are tough to get through at first! They have such a hold on our habits and are hard to give up! Just like a drug can be! But carbs are everywhere! We can’t get away from them which makes it so much harder! Once you’ve stuck with it long enough those foods hold no power over you any more! You can be in a bakery and walk away with a bottle of water! You see them as non food (at least I have). It becomes easy, but you always have to do it to maintain.

It’s just like building a house! You have to work very hard for months and pay attention to every detail to be sure everything is done right. Then, once you move into that new house all you have to do is maintain it. Little things here and there to keep it up or it will become run down.

Anyone has the ability to do this! It takes making the choice each day to show up for yourself!

I love that way of looking at the keto journey! Great way to put it!
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    I'm finally losing! I guess the fast helped kick start ketosis, I'm down another pound and a half since the fast :D

• cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    how long do you fast
  • cgcrutch
    Options
    cmbalint wrote: »
    how long do you fast

25 hours.. I couldn't go another day LOL! I'll try to fast at least 24 hours a couple times a month.. I do OMAD, or 2MAD occasionally when I'm still hungry. Next time I want to try skipping a day, with a 2-4hour eating window on the neighboring days. That would be at least 40 hours fasted I think!
  • cgcrutch
    Options
    I'm only trying long fasts to prevent loose skin. YouTube doctors say autophagy doesn't kick in until after 24 hours of fasting. There's probably other benefits to long fasts too. But I'm hoping I get them from OMAD fasting lol
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    No one has ever adequately explained to me how denying your body the nutrients it asks for (hunger) is supposed to lead to better health and better appetite control over time. It seems like refusing to eat when you're hungry is just going to train your body to complain more often and louder when it needs something. I'm not convinced by any of the autophagy research that there are health benefits from fasting. In fact, women do worse when doing IF.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.full
    Another diabetes risk factor that has shown a sex-specific effect is glucose tolerance. After 3 wk of ADF (Alternate Day Fasting), women but not men had an increase in the area under the glucose curve. This unfavorable effect on glucose tolerance in women, accompanied by an apparent lack of an effect on insulin sensitivity, suggests that short-term ADF may be more beneficial in men than in women in reducing type 2 diabetes risk.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/373665/Caveman-fasting-diet-may-leave-women-diabetic
    “At the end of the trial there was no insulin improvements in the women and their glucose response got worse, while the men had no glucose changes and their insulin response improved.”
    American scientist, author and blogger Stefani Ruper, who was one of the first to question the safety of the 5:2 regime, warns: “The IF regime was not just neutral for women, but was downright harmful.”

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Technically, a ketogenic diet causes transient physiological insulin resistance too. The body gets used to not having excess carbs so when it does, its reaction can look diabetic , for some people with high BG.

If I did another oral glucose tolerance test, with 75g of glucose from the orange drink, I would be surprised if my BG did not skyrocket then plummet. ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Right but the first study said there was an increased area under the curve, meaning glucose went up and stayed up longer. Going high (say 170) and dropping fast is better than going less high (say 160) and taking a while to return to baseline.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    True!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I know, I know, I usually leave my anti-IF ranting in the carnivore group, but I can't help myself. If you're struggling with IF, the problem isn't with you. It's the IF.

https://tim.blog/2008/03/03/real-life-extension-caloric-restriction-or-intermittent-fasting-part-2/
    People started commenting that they were doing great on the IF. Some were losing weight, but others weren’t. Or if they were, they were losing much less than they thought they should be losing given the caloric reduction. As I mentioned, it seems that humans have a difficult time doubling up on calories on eat days, so in most humans an IF is also a reduced-calorie diet. And humans, it appeared, weren’t losing as much as their reduction in calories would predict. Reports started popping up on low-carb bulletin boards describing how blood sugar levels had gone up in people IFing and how some people had seen their blood pressure go up.

Like many of my readers, the research community had jumped on the IF bandwagon as well. And, in a similar fashion, the results were not all positive. Papers appeared showing that subjects IFing, or even regularly skipping a couple of meals per day, were developing insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance, elevated blood pressure, and decreased thermogenesis. Even Mark Mattson published a couple of human studies, including a randomized crossover designed experiment that showing the above disorders in women who ate the same number of calories in one meal per day as opposed to three meals per day.

I must hasten to add that the loss of insulin sensitivity, the impaired glucose tolerance and high blood pressure did not reach major levels. But they were significantly more pronounced than the same measures in the same subjects consuming the same number of calories divided into three meals instead of just one. The finding that troubles me the most, however, is the decrease in thermogenesis found under iso-caloric conditions. Said decrease in thermogenesis can only be worse in a true, real-world, intermittent fast in which the calories are typically lower than usual.

The decreased thermogenesis explains why the IF doesn’t work particularly well as a weight-loss regimen even though in most cases it is a reduced calorie diet [see the “the real science of fat-loss: why a calorie isn’t always a calorie” post for more on this phenomenon]. The subjects in these studies who consumed only one meal per day had reduced thermogenesis even while consuming the same number of calories that they did when eating three times per day. Imagine the reduction in thermogenesis if the calories were reduced as well as they are in most IF regimens.

The energy balance equation states that the change in weight equals calories in minus calories out.

Δ Wt = kcal in – kcal out

Many people think that the items on the right side of that equation are independent variables. In other words, if kcal in decreases weight will be lost because kcal out stays the same. But it doesn’t work that way because those terms aren’t independent variables – they are dependent variables. If kcal in goes down, often kcal out goes down as well to compensate. If people increase kcal out by exercising, they end up increasing kcal in because they eat more.
    It’s looking like the intermittent fast is another of those ideas in science that looks good in animal studies then not so good in human studies, proving once again that rats and mice aren’t simply furry little humans. And it appears – for humans, at least – that the intermittent fast is indeed beginning to look like the reality of a late-night gimmicky infomercial: long on promises, short on delivery. I suspect that it is also a cautionary tale about the applicability of caloric restriction studies to humans.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that’s the way science sometimes works. Lab results and reality are often two different animals.

Alright, I promise. No more anti-IF rants in here. I'll save the rest for the zerocarb discussions. :wink:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Autophagy is happening all the time at varying levels. It's going to kick in high gear once liver glycogen is depleted, which is pretty much all the time with a keto diet. It's going to kick into high gear after about 12-24 hours of fasting. It's also going to kick in high gear with exercise, though possibly not high enough to offset the damage from exercise, depending on intensity, time, etc.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »
    IF works for me because i like BIGGGGG meals :p. Those little 400-600 cal meals dont do it for me they make me more hungry. If i had 5 600 cal meals a day i would be 1000 cal over my intake goal. It basically helps me keep under or at my cal. goal thats all. After eating 1200-1500 cals im not really hungry for another 16 hours anyway soooooo.... Fasting is just a tool that fits my lifstyle. It doesnt make you loss more weight just helps some peeps stay in there cal. goals.

You're also male, which makes it more likely to work for you. There's a lot of variance with stuff like this, but if someone is struggling with fasting (especially if they're a woman) it doesn't mean that something is wrong and they should push-through. Maybe it means that IF isn't for their body.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Autophagy is happening all the time at varying levels. It's going to kick in high gear once liver glycogen is depleted, which is pretty much all the time with a keto diet. It's going to kick into high gear after about 12-24 hours of fasting. It's also going to kick in high gear with exercise, though possibly not high enough to offset the damage from exercise, depending on intensity, time, etc.

I keep seeing this 12-24 hour window mentioned, @tcunbeliever , and my OCD anal side really wants to know where that number comes from (so that I can use it as well). Do you have any references that I could use to back that number up?