Trying Keto again

Options
mdevx
mdevx Posts: 7 Member
Hi all I tried Keto over the summer and feel like I had very little results maybe because I wasn’t fully sure how to start. How did you all start off, when you went grocery shopping what did you buy for your food, I have done cleanSes were protein was the biggest source of food intake and carbs besides complex carbs was very little intake. I could deff use support. I have gained 20 lbs after my wedding and would like to shed that 20 lbs!

Replies

• zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    looking for places i could drop carbs…and doing it. for me, it was giving up the fruit i had been using for snacking during the day (and then the sugar-topped whipped cream & berries with caramel sauce at bedtime) and then looking for things i could adjust in my lunches and how to adjust what i ate at dinner (while leaving the rest of the family food alone and unchanged)
  • KetoLula
    KetoLula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I took advantage of Keto Connect the first time around. I picked 2-3 recipes to do a week and bought what I needed to make them, some keto friendly snacks (pork rinds, low carb bars), and stocked up on frozen necessities (riced and mashed cauliflower, vegetables, real good pizzas). Planning ahead has been the biggest aide in success. I have all my meals planned out a few weeks in advance so I know what I'm doing.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My staples are meat (fresh and canned), eggs, non-starchy vegetables, butter, lunch meat and cheese

This weekend, I had chicken alfredo (chicken breast, mushrooms, butter, garlic, heavy cream, and parmesan) over broccoli instead of pasta - it was super delicious....asian slaw topped with meat (chicken for some, vienna sausages when the chicken ran out)...I was at a social event and had ham and chicken plus a variety of dips with veggies instead of chips (buffalo chicken dip, taco dip, and vegetarian 7 layer dip)...tonight we are doing breakfast for dinner, so sausage and eggs...lunch was spinach and mushrooms saute with ham and eggs scrambled in...very tasty...I don't know what I'm eating the rest of the week, I usually do a menu, but haven't done that yet...
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    All of the above for sure! Cream cheese mixed with anything (shredded cheese, and bacon bits) is a great fat bomb snack, bacon, sausage, eggs, cheese, meats of choice (fresh and canned), Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, heavy whipping cream, butter, a good salt (something besides plain iodized salt, used to be Pink Hymalayan (sp) salt, but I’ve now heard that it has fluoride so I don’t know what’s best now), mayonnaise.... Just avoid carbs. Stay away from things that are in a box or bag usually (unless it’s some nuts). You do best to shop the outside of the store and avoid the aisles (usually) because that’s where the carb heavy foods are located except for canned meats and coffee if you drink it.

After a couple of weeks of reading and getting your mind used to this way of eating it becomes the easiest, and most delicious, ever! The key is to come here and read, or ask questions (as you have) if you don’t see the topic you need to aske about! The only stupid question is the one that’s not asked!! Hang in there!!
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    mdevx wrote: »
    How did you all start off, when you went grocery shopping what did you buy for your food

For me it was what didn't I buy, or what didn't I eat. Cut out all the potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, carrots, fruits, etc. I keep green veggies and salad stuff on hand along with plenty of meat, other canned and frozen veggies, cheese, eggs, butter, and nuts and pork rinds for a snack every so often.

I generally cook everything from scratch, not into prepackaged stuff though I have tried a few things. I also seldom meal plan as I've got four other people in the household and when I do try to plan the plans get changed at the last minute so I tend to wing it and tailor my meals around everyone else. If I was by myself I'd probably prep a weeks worth of meals in advance. But hey, what works for me may or may not work for you.

• KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This FB group was a time saver and money saver for me because all of the work and research had already been done.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ketogenicdieters/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs and vegetables mostly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs and veggies. It’s super simple. Easiest to get started if you don’t complicate it.
    I would stay away from the trendy keto products that are popping up everywhere too.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    for meats always get the fatter meats like chicken thighs,bacon and the delicious marbled steaks “I’m drooling now.” For veggies I do broccoli,green beans,and any green leafy veggies. For oils...and oils are my key to making my macros... I use MCT oil, avocado oil,coconut oil,and real butter. Eggs are a staple you should have eggs on hand like always. Eggs are like chicken breast on a low fat diet......you will be sick of eating them by goal weight... :D

The bullet proof coffee is my meet my macos go to meal. You can put anything in it to meet your goals. If I’m low on protein I put some protein powder in it. If I’m low on fats...:/and that’s like always.... I put my fats in.

My must haves are
    eggs,bacon,spanich,avocado,coconut oil,cheese, and butter. I have these things probably about every day.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with keeping it simple. I eat meat, cheese, eggs, some vege, nuts and avocados. I eat a lot of the same food everyday, I don't get bored of it as it is tasty!