Keto and gaining

Options
Ok, need help and encouragement. I have been on keto for almost 4 weeks. I lost 8 lbs at a lil before 3 weeks. Wed will be 4 weeks and I've gained 2.5 lbs back. Here is my daily intake:
Carbs 15-22
Calories 900-1500
Fat 100ish
Protein 60-70ish

Working out 3 days per week, for about 300 calories per workout. Upped my steps to 10k+ four days per week. And walk 5k+ the other three days.

I used perfect keto strips and they say wait 40 sec. The article I read said 15 sec. My level was 4 at 15 sec and 8 at 40 sec. What is going on? I don't know why I'm gaining.

Replies

• KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi Mechelle,

I just sent you a friend request because looking at your profile we have a very similar story, I'm 54. I did well on Keto had an injury and out of commission and now back after 10 months.
    I am finding that this time my body is not reacting the same, I'm on my 5th week.
    If you do the daily food diary on here then people can friend you and see if there is something you have missed. Do you weigh and measure your food?
    Also we have hormones that can really mess with us, so keep that in mind.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi there, Our situations are similar as well. I'm nearing 50 and have 4 kids. When I started Keto last year I realized my body was not reacting the same, which has been the case with all previous attempts at weight loss! Just as KetoZandra said, fluctuations could be hormonal or water/food weight as well.

I've read over and over again that the keto strips are good just for basic info that you are on the right track, but they are not accurate in determining your levels for weight loss. Basically, if your carbs are under 20-25 consistently, you will likely be in ketosis. Couple that with a calorie deficit and you will be in a good position for fat loss. Protein is important in order to not lose muscle.

Last year, after doing a great deal of research, I decided to try a lower fat version of keto where the principle is that when trying to lose fat, you don't need to eat an excessive amount of fat as you would eat on typical keto. But, you DO need more fat than usual 'diets' for satiety and nutrient absorption. This version of keto worked much better for me at this stage in my life. Changing my to macros with higher protein and lower fat helped me to lose almost 30 lbs in a relatively short amount of time without losing muscle mass. Maintaining a calorie deficit is key as well.

I did not track consistently or eat well toward the end of 2018 and also could not workout. I have re-set my goals and am back to lose the rest. Good luck!
  • mechellecranford
    mechellecranford Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Our situations are similar as well. I'm nearing 50 and have 4 kids. When I started Keto last year I realized my body was not reacting the same, which has been the case with all previous attempts at weight loss! Just as KetoZandra said, fluctuations could be hormonal or water/food weight as well.

I've read over and over again that the keto strips are good just for basic info that you are on the right track, but they are not accurate in determining your levels for weight loss. Basically, if your carbs are under 20-25 consistently, you will likely be in ketosis. Couple that with a calorie deficit and you will be in a good position for fat loss. Protein is important in order to not lose muscle.

Last year, after doing a great deal of research, I decided to try a lower fat version of keto where the principle is that when trying to lose fat, you don't need to eat an excessive amount of fat as you would eat on typical keto. But, you DO need more fat than usual 'diets' for satiety and nutrient absorption. This version of keto worked much better for me at this stage in my life. Changing my to macros with higher protein and lower fat helped me to lose almost 30 lbs in a relatively short amount of time without losing muscle mass. Maintaining a calorie deficit is key as well.

I did not track consistently or eat well toward the end of 2018 and also could not workout. I have re-set my goals and am back to lose the rest. Good luck!

Wow, great info... Complete lack of hormones here, tho. My bro suggested the same thing about my fat intake. Thank you for reaching out.

• mechellecranford
    Options
    KetoZandra wrote: »
    Hi Mechelle,

I just sent you a friend request because looking at your profile we have a very similar story, I'm 54. I did well on Keto had an injury and out of commission and now back after 10 months.
    I am finding that this time my body is not reacting the same, I'm on my 5th week.
    If you do the daily food diary on here then people can friend you and see if there is something you have missed. Do you weigh and measure your food?
    Also we have hormones that can really mess with us, so keep that in mind.

Yes, I'm measuring my food. The food diary is hard for me. I don't always have time to eat let alone time to enter the food. My days off are better. I responded to your message, as well. Thanks!
  • mechellecranford
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Relax. This is normal. It doesn't mean you aren't losing weight. Just the scale playing tricks. Keep calm. Keto on.

My bro keeps telling me that too, lol. Thanks!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Nothing out of the norm if you are keeping your intake in check. Get some tight clothing and start trying on the same day each week. If you are doing this correctly the clothing won't lie to you although the scale will. Thursday the home junk scale said I was 237 yet I dropped a pants size in the past week. Today the scale said I'm 228. I didn't lose 9 pounds in 5 days :smile: . It was just water/food/waste leaving the body over the weekend. My guess is this is nothing but water retention. Give it time. You are half way home to being fat adapted if you have been doing strict keto.
  • mechellecranford
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    Nothing out of the norm if you are keeping your intake in check. Get some tight clothing and start trying on the same day each week. If you are doing this correctly the clothing won't lie to you although the scale will. Thursday the home junk scale said I was 237 yet I dropped a pants size in the past week. Today the scale said I'm 228. I didn't lose 9 pounds in 5 days :smile: . It was just water/food/waste leaving the body over the weekend. My guess is this is nothing but water retention. Give it time. You are half way home to being fat adapted if you have been doing strict keto.

Thank you for the info. From what I've read, is that I'm not eating enough. And, apparently have gone into starvation mode. So, gonna work on that.
  • qweck3
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Try to get enough food intake to get to satiety. Keto really isn't a WOE intended to ever be hungry.

Remember the keys:

Protein: Max it out and exceed if you can. (Protein is needed for the body and helps you feel full).
    Carbs: Stay under and don't go over your limit unless you have a way to immediately use the fuel (high level exercise).
    Fat: Not a goal you should try to hit but you can go up to the point of being full. (As time goes on this % goes down more and more)
  • mechellecranford
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    Try to get enough food intake to get to satiety. Keto really isn't a WOE intended to ever be hungry.

Remember the keys:

Protein: Max it out and exceed if you can. (Protein is needed for the body and helps you feel full).
    Carbs: Stay under and don't go over your limit unless you have a way to immediately use the fuel (high level exercise).
    Fat: Not a goal you should try to hit but you can go up to the point of being full. (As time goes on this % goes down more and more)

Thank you... Great info!
  • kahart625
    kahart625 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, need help and encouragement. I have been on keto for almost 4 weeks. I lost 8 lbs at a lil before 3 weeks. Wed will be 4 weeks and I've gained 2.5 lbs back. Here is my daily intake:
    Carbs 15-22
    Calories 900-1500
    Fat 100ish
    Protein 60-70ish

Working out 3 days per week, for about 300 calories per workout. Upped my steps to 10k+ four days per week. And walk 5k+ the other three days.

I used perfect keto strips and they say wait 40 sec. The article I read said 15 sec. My level was 4 at 15 sec and 8 at 40 sec. What is going on? I don't know why I'm gaining.

I feel like Im in the same boat you are! It gets very frustrating week after week and only losing a few ounces! Maybe we can share some tips with each other, or at the least help to encourage each to keep trying. I know im ready to give up every other day!
  • mechellecranford
    Options
    kahart625 wrote: »
    Carbs 15-22
    Calories 900-1500
    Fat 100ish
    Protein 60-70ish

I feel like Im in the same boat you are! It gets very frustrating week after week and only losing a few ounces! Maybe we can share some tips with each other, or at the least help to encourage each to keep trying. I know im ready to give up every other day!

Yes, let's encourage each other.
  • qweck3
    Options
    @kahart625 I know it's hard to not look at the scale but it truly does more damage than good this early on. Get a tight piece of clothing and use that as a real guide. I went for what felt like an eternity with small losses but as the year came to an end 55 pounds were gone because those 0.2, 0.7, 0.4 type losses added up.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I found on this woe that watching my weight every day helped me. I learned my body so well that because of tracking my daily weight the first time on this diet. I now know that I can be up 2-3 lbs more certain times of the month from just being hormonal or from doing more walking on any given day. I learned my body stored water if I ended up just doing more activity by walking at the mall to packing up Christmas decor. It always went away plus some in days to weeks after but it really is amazing how little we have to do extra that makes us store water. Give it time and track it so u can learn when ur body stores it and I bet u will be able to predict what the scale will say later even before weighing 😊
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It is very normal to go up and down but I would switch your day and protein or at least use a 1:1 ratio