Keto Protein Shakes?

Options
Hi! There is a shake mix called Plant Fusion. It’s found at basically any grocery store and is a clean protein shake. Does anyone know whether this is permitted on Keto?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Keto is basically carb restriction so that your body is in a state of ketosis. If the protein shakes allows that to occur with you then it is AOK.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many carbs it is
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Read carefully. Most of the "protein" shakes I've looked at have more carbs than protein. I don't use them.
    Get my protein from real meat...
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    isopure protein is the way to go. Thats just my 2 cents.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The label for chocolate says 13g carbs and 19g protein, so if that fits your goals, then sure.

But if you are looking for a plant based protein shake, then I think Sun Warrior is a better option...their chocolate is 4g carbs and 16g protein.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »

Isopure Banana is just the worst. Stuff makes me nauseous.

I usually just keep premier protein premades around for use. Between than and the Muscle Milk Pro Series variant, it's around 30-32g protein per 11oz container. That's also 2-4 net carbs, 6-7 total carbs, depending on the flavour. I tried powders for a while. it was usually taking me past 25 net carbs that made me uncomfortable for the protein given. The no-carb stuff was horrible from what I tried. These little carton drinks seem to work best for me.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I often use those premier protein premades if I'm wanting something else in my coffee. I'm usually a coffee purist but I gotta say, a couple tablespoons of the caramel premier protein and a hazelnut flavored coffee is an amazing afternoon pick me up.

I am not a powdered protein fan. I tried them out back in the day when I started low carb and just found it easier to leave them alone. I got better bang for my protein buck from other sources. As for it being permitted, there's no law around what is keto and what is not. You have to find what works best for your body and your personal goals.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use the ready made Premier Protein shakes and Syntrax protein powder. Syntrax is readily available on Amazon. They have tons of flavors to choose from. Great for adding protein to recipes.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Citrislazer: Too cool you have a pic of you and Danny from Counting Cars. I love that show and I'm not even into cars. Great personalities on the show and pretty darn good artists. :)

Carry on. Protein thread.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options

I typically have Optimum nutrition protein powder in the house, both Double rich chocolate and vanilla ice cream (I have a 16yo 6'3" son, already on the very lean side who somehow managed to lose 6-8lbs during cross country season, and a 15yo daughter who plays AAA hockey, ran cross country and plays varsity soccer for her HS as a freshman). Low carb for sure, but not zero carb. I picked up a container of isopure vanilla on clearance at Academy this weekend, hoping it's a hit.
  • cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I agree. Dutch chocolate for me.