Get them bowels moving

Options
KristaMac88
KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
Good Morning everyone! I am on day 4 of this diet and dont really think my bowels have moved since starting it. Im trying to get more water in me, but am feeling the heaviness in my stomach. I have metimucil at home, and senekot, are either of those okay to take? I am not sure metimucil wise how much carbs it has in it. I heard horror stories about mct oil so would like to avoid that aha and havent found any actual sugar/carb free candy (because I heard that really gets things going as well). Any other suggestions??

Replies

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower! :smile:
  • mousey711mm
    mousey711mm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tons of veggies, green leafy ones and yes cauliflower too! MCT oil does not mess with me now but it did at first. maybe try some black coffee too. You will adjust it takes some time keep at it. I eat veggies at every meal just to be sure I dont suffer from this.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    In the beginning I took an over the counter stool softener when things needed a little help. It did not effect my weight loss and I added it as I would food to my diary.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    I have been eating way more than i usually would just because they are so low in carbs. I have been realizing carbs add up WAY quicker than I ever thought possible and have been going a bit over my 20 net g each day but hoping its still low enough to get me into ketosis. I dont have a headache today like i did the last 2 days so i dont know if im doing something right or wrong aha
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Keep up your hydration, add lots of salt; and spinach, avocado, and cauliflower are your friends. :wink:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm another for whom fibre makes it worse. Adding more bulk is not helpful. ;)

Coffee, nuts, mct or coconut oil, more meats, less dairy, more sodium and more magnesium all get me going.

.. and a trip to a library or book store for some reason. Lol
  • amring
    amring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem but for me it was nearly 2 weeks. You know what fixed it? Magnesium citrate at night and one glad of hot water in the morning with turmeric on an empty tummy, and don't eat for at least 45 min after. Since then I've been taking 2 small prunes everyday!
  • ourvibrantlife
    ourvibrantlife Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    One of my concerns.. dabbling with Keto in the past. Like @amring I eat a few pitted prunes a day.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I didn't go for a month when starting out. It was only towards the end of 3rd week I started to feel uncomfortable. When I did go, it was a small amount. After that It eased back to my usual routine.
    I wouldn't suggest laxatives unless you are very uncomfortable.

There's not as much wastage with keto and your digestive system also takes some time to adapt.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Red meat + black coffee = emergency exit!
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Do what my pups have done... break into the birdseed! Holy crap (seriously... so much crap), it goes straight through, and makes a lot of poop. However, it's fully formed, firm poop (no rocketbutt!). That puts this method* ahead of some of the other ones here! (they are both completely fine... just pooping a LOT more)

*probably shouldn't try this
  • __Chanda__
    __Chanda__ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I take Nature Made high potency magnesium. They're 400 MG tablets. I take 1 a day when I'm feeling good, but have taken up to 2 when I feel I need help.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    CarolynRSB wrote: »
    Do what my pups have done... break into the birdseed! Holy crap (seriously... so much crap), it goes straight through, and makes a lot of poop. However, it's fully formed, firm poop (no rocketbutt!). That puts this method* ahead of some of the other ones here! (they are both completely fine... just pooping a LOT more)

*probably shouldn't try this

ahaha good to know!!
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    I didn't go for a month when starting out. It was only towards the end of 3rd week I started to feel uncomfortable. When I did go, it was a small amount. After that It eased back to my usual routine.
    I wouldn't suggest laxatives unless you are very uncomfortable.

There's not as much wastage with keto and your digestive system also takes some time to adapt.

I suppose that makes sense!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've always had issues with constipation but with keto its horrible! I'd go 7-10 days without going. I've taken magnesium, drank tons of water, ate lots of greens, all the tricks & tips everyone offered with no results. Someone in one of my facebook groups mentioned a product called Dual action cleanse, I get it on amazon, you can take the 2 different pills daily for a cleanse or do as I do and just take one or two and the next day I have a regular movement, not painful or stay by the bathroom type of thing, but just a normal day, going about my business. I take them now a couple times a week and haven't had any bad results from them at all.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Do not try the sugar free candy method!!!! Lol I once unknowingly housed a half a box sugar free chocolates thinking I was being good at being bad on my diet and spent the night cramped and running to the bathroom- TMI I have never before in my life actually pooped nothing but almost clear liquid!!!! I was three pounds lighter the next morning.
    I take magnesium every morning with water and drink a cup a coffee. I’ve been completely regular since adding magnesium and I’m keto six months
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It is true that with Keto the body uses most of what we eat so there is less “waste” left over. So, going to the bathroom less is normal for us. As long as you don’t feel bloated, gassy, and uncomfortable from not going things are okay. But, of course if you feel any of those things then intervention would be appropriate. Usually one can take extra doses of their magnesium supplements to get things going (think milk of magnesia) because any excess creates a bowel movement.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    okay thank you!
  • classic2o
    classic2o Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For those who mentioned magnesium.. what is your daily dose? I see @_Chanda_ said 400 mg. tabs.