Many questions..

Options
KristaMac88
KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
So..doesnt look like theres alot of activity in here..but ill ask anyways incase anyone is around to answer aha I just started Keto today, after doing alot of research the last few days. I know I have to try and stay under 20g of carbs per day. That being said. I know theres alot of hidden sugars in stuff. Im wondering, such as sugar free 5carb energy drinks..is that all the carbs accounted for or does that not include the hidden sugars? I hate black coffee. And added cream today and a splenda and its making me feel even more bloated and gross. Then I ate a greek yogurt. The package didnt show any carb count. Until i plugged it into mfp and went into nutrition and its showing as 12 :( I feel like im off to a bad start. Ive been eating low(ish) carb for a bit now (no breads or potatoe or pasta) but didnt realize how much carbs were in other stuff i ate and assumed healthy. I do want to try this to loose weight like everyone else quickly does on this then if not able to sustain slowly add back/ return to my low carb diet to maintain a bit..

Replies

• blackpapillion
    blackpapillion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look up Dr. Berg on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZfyEy_jpI
    His videos will explain how to use keto. I did study a lot before I started. Anywway, you divide your meals into a ratio (ex: 20:30:50) and that's carbs, protein, fats. It's not difficult to get the hang of constructing a meal this way - just look at your plate. I weigh my food and log it, some people don't. Study keto! I found that it could improve my brain and general health. That's what interested me, because of my Parkinson's. I've become stronger, lost weight (am within 5 lbs. of my goal=125 lbs.) and am reall feeling better. My incontinence is improved. I can sometimes smell. My sleep is about the same=bad. But the weight fell off without much trying at all. I include a good fast a couple of days a week, just because I enjoy it, and because the constipation is pretty much gone since I started fasting anywhere from 12 to 16 hours every so often.
  • SunnyYakimaniac
    SunnyYakimaniac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new at keto, but am sure hoping I can master it. Not only to lose that last 15 lbs, but to be able to get off my BP meds! I do wish that MFP would add FIBER to their list of nutrients for each food. I feel that is the missing component to keep me from using the ratio meal plan effectively. I welcome tips, especially for snacks, & I'm thankful for those I've read on this page.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm new at keto, but am sure hoping I can master it. Not only to lose that last 15 lbs, but to be able to get off my BP meds! I do wish that MFP would add FIBER to their list of nutrients for each food. I feel that is the missing component to keep me from using the ratio meal plan effectively. I welcome tips, especially for snacks, & I'm thankful for those I've read on this page.

I agree, I now mostly log using Carb Manager because it DOES count your net carbs for you so you dont have to do the math and adjust yourself. But, it has its flaws to. It doesnt recognize as much stuff via scanning barcode as mfp does.
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I believe it is all the carbs accounted for. Depending on if you are strict keto , lazy or dirty it would be ok to consume.