Mini Gastric Bypass 15/01/19

Options
scarletspy
scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
I'm 6 days post op from my mini gastric bypass. I'm struggling a bit to figure out when I'm hungry/full and really struggling with not being allowed to eat or drink within 30mins of each other.

I had a couple of questions for people who've had the surgery because my surgeon didn't give me much info.

1) How long did you wait before working out?

2) When did you remove your bandages?

3) Does the 20 second rule between bites count for water as well?

4) What was your eating schedule like? I'm trying to figure out a schedule for eating and drinking so that I'm doing enough of both and taking all my medication. If you have any tips for that they'll welcome.

In fact any tips for getting through the next few weeks are welcome :smile:

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I was a full gastric bypass and can’t say that I’ve ever heard of a “Mini gastric bypass”. I’m assuming your stomach was still stapled and intestine rerouted like a regular bypass?

You should only be on liquids right now, nothing to chew yet. So drinking with meals shouldn’t be an issue yet. For me full liquids/protein shakes came in week two, then puréed foods in week three with nothing solid before week four. At the puréed phase is when you would want to avoid drinking fluids for 30 minutes (minimum) after eating. The reason for this is so you don’t wash the food out of your pouch then turn around and feel like you haven’t eaten. I’m four years post op and I still do this.

Exercise (other than walking) is usually acceptable at six weeks post op as long as you aren’t having complications.

Removing the bandage is usually surgeon specific. If you’re six days post op and still have the dressing on (and didn’t get instructions) I would call them first thing in morning to find out what they want you to do with that.

I recommend you keep water/crystal light with you all day right now and sip frequently. There really isn’t a 20 second rule between sips but if it hurts, slow down. You need to be drinking most of the day.

Once you can eat you need to focus on getting your protein first, veggies second, then, if you have room you would eat a little carbohydrate. The protein will be most important to get for the healing process and for getting used to changing the way you eat for life. It will be a forever change. Without changing the foods you eat you will return to the size you were before surgery. Take this weight loss phase time to change your eating habits. This will make things so much easier for you once you reach the end of your “Honeymoon phase”
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. The mini bypass is a lot like the full gastric bypass except there is only one anastomosis instead of two so there are less chances of complications.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I pray your recovery continues without incident! Be kind to your new stomach. Give it time to heal and it will serve you well for a long time in your weight loss journey!
  • tpyle65
    tpyle65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also had a full byppass 10 years ago. Please be very careful with your diet for the first 6 weeks. The advice Karla gave you is right on. I suggest that you look for a support group near you. I wish you all the best, and congratulations on taking the step to regain your health.