mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Gateway sweet gave me the giggles.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    NAAAACHOS. I love nachos. LOVE THEM. I tried a bunch of substitutes for tortilla chips including the whole mini pepper thing. yeah. no. that's....not nachos. I have had some limited success with plain unseasoned pork rinds.

I've recently become a pork rind connoisseur. lol

I loved nachos too. Had stopped eating them except for some I made with pork rinds, which I love by the way. But then I found out how to make tortillas with baby corn. Give this a try.

In a bowl, add 5 tablespoons almond flour, one tablespoon ground flaxseed, one egg white and 1/2 cup baby corn purée and 1/4 t. of salt. Blend together well.

Form into a ball Take about a tablespoon of the dough and form into a ball. Place it between two sheets of parchment paper or you can cut a sturdy ziplock bag along the seams to make two sheets of that. Now press down with a sturdy pan or a tortilla press if you own one. Makes a nice roung tortilla. Repeat until the dough is gone. Bake at 350F for 10 mins. They should be flexible now, stack them up and cut into quarters for making your chips.

Heat up some fat in a roomy pan, lard is great, but avocado oil will do a good job too. Place as many chips as fit in the pan easily without over lapping. Cook for 1 min. they should be browned and done take them out quickly and place on a cooling rack with a paper towel to absorb the extra fat, this will make them chrunchy, and let them cool. Enjoy with salsa, guacamole, or make nachos with them.

You can cook up larger batchs and freeze them before the cooking step.

Baby corn is primarily fiber but adds tons of corny tasting goodness.

What I have given up is sour dough breads, home made. Can't stop eating that stuff, so I just don't make it anymore. Don't really miss anything else. I focus on all the goodies I didn't eat for decades because of the low fat crap diets.
  • mmultanen
    Options
    @retirehappy I will try this!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Party sized bags of candy. I can eat the entire thing.

Most refined and processed carbs will lead to cravings for me. I'm okay with something once in a while, but when it is eaten often, like every day such as right at Xmas, It takes quite an effort to get back out of that rut.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me it's always something savory and salty like nuts, and it's usually my body telling me that I need something. Had a few ounces of peanuts yesterday, a bit of extra salt and magnesium, and today I'm fine.

Plus it didn't screw with my way of eating as I allowed for it when I planned my eating for the rest of the day.

I was never a sugar/sweets eater. Heck, sometimes the smell of something super sugary sweet will literally make my stomach queasy. Yeah, I'm a weirdo. :/
  • mmultanen
    Options
    sometimes the smell of something super sugary sweet will literally make my stomach queasy.

Vanilla does this to me. In any form. Ice cream, cakes, hand lotion...... barf.

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fruit or lime tostitos...
    Can’t just have one piece!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    So cricket power interestingly my brain was almost on fire it lit up so much. Yet yesterday all these things were tempting but I could easily ignore... today all gone.

Ive been thinking about trying that!
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    I wanted to add if I’m in “that mood” any carb is a potential victim!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Does it help to limit nuts or berries to the weekend?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It’s best to always limit berries and nuts imo. They can be a slippery slope. Not very filling yet calorie, and carb heavy! Leave you (me) looking for something else usually because they aren’t satisfying. If I eat them I have them (measured) along with a meal. Not as a snack anymore.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Conchas are my weakness. If I have one I try to cut it up and make it last days so I get the taste and don't feel deprived. But sometimes... Lol
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I had to google that...and they look delicious!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Salted anything I have to watch. I eat a ton of nuts but I do not buy ones that are salted. If salted I can eat a pound without stopping. :(
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Conchas are my weakness. If I have one I try to cut it up and make it last days so I get the taste and don't feel deprived. But sometimes... Lol

LOL I just looked it up to. Do you have a low carb recipe for this?
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Cheetos. The hard crunchy ones not puffs. Will eat til I'm sick.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Butter, right off the stick. Yes it’s low carb, but still high calorie. Best kept out of the house if I hope to lose weight!

And brownie mix— I can NOT be allowed to buy it at Costco in the 6-pack family sized boxes, especially. Gone within days.
  • alffmfp
    alffmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Gum. It never occurred to me that sugar free gum could have carbs. I chew it on and off all day while I'm at work because it helps me stay alert and I didn't think I needed to track it because it was sugar free. I am positive it has thrown me off my carb counts big time. Now I log it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »

LOL I just looked it up to. Do you have a low carb recipe for this?

My wife and daughter love those things... I'm meh about them.

Triggers for me are nuts and nut butters... I just don't keep them in the house much (or portion them into small amounts as soon as I get them).
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    ...not the food, it's the mood... seems to be a very true phrase. Many times I can have a dessert or a carb and be ok. But other times it gets me into a binge. I have tried to figure out why one exception would sometimes make me go over the edge - was I annoyed by something or someone? Was it just too many exceptions over a few day period that got me into the sugars and the craving?