Fat Vs calories..

Options
Sebo123
Sebo123 Posts: 14 Member
Ok so I've been 'trying' keto since 1st Jan. Worked out my macros on ruled.me, got a calorie intake of about 1358.
I follow all these pages, posts on Instagram loaded with cheese but how do you do that but stay within the calorie allowance? I can stay in cals but only by eating lowest fat meat, veg etc. What I don't understand is all this fat but still calorie restricted?

If I ate some of these meal / recipe ideas I'd be blowing calories my miles. So what I've found myself doing is sticking below 20g carbs, within calories but under fat. Still hungry and watching every bite full, but yet looking at all these keto posts wondering why I don't have the calories to eat them??

I'm now wondering what the difference is if I were to eat any food type but within the same calorie allowance?
I Work out 6 times a week, fast, sometimes OMAD. Someday 500 cals but yet in 4 weeks I've lost 6 pounds.
Just wondering if it's keto / reduced calories/ or low carb but my biggest question is...how do you all eat so much cheese and good stuff but stay within a restriced calorie amount??

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Us the ketogains calculator.
    You need to allow fat from your body to be burned so you can’t just eat all the fat you want.
    It’s not the high fat that makes it keto. It’s the low carb. The fat can come from your body.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Also, I don’t eat a lot of cheese and I don’t add fat. I just eat meat and use the minimum amount of fat needs for cooking.
    Some people that do eat a lot more added fat probably have a lot more fat to lose and are actually still in a calorie deficit even eating very high fat. Or they are losing lean mass.
    I lost 25 pounds very quickly. I learned the very high fat, “moderate protein”, eat fat bombs and put butter in your coffee method and I lost weight and thought it was awesome. Until later I realized it was a lot of muscle that I lost and that wasn’t awesome at all.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in 4 weeks is 1.5 pounds per week. Not too shabby!

I didn't lose weight via keto but rather low carb of about 128/day. Since keto isn't keeping you sated, try low carb. You'll get more volume via vegetables/meat to fill your body. Protein and fiber are reportedly the most satiating.
  • Sebo123
    Options
    It sounds like it all boils down to tracking calories and finding the best way to stay full on less?
    Thanks for comments, it's always good to hear different views
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose fat, then part of your caloric burn is body fat, which means you don't have to add more fat - just don't be afraid of what naturally occurs in real food. If you stick primarily to real whole foods (i.e. meat, seafood, non-starchy veggies), you will find between the protein and the fiber you will be more satiated. Non-fiber carbs add near zero satiety. Some people say fat is satiating, but studies show protein and fiber are the most satiating.

If you are wanting to lose fat and not muscle, you are already doing the first part by lifting weights. The second part is making sure you are getting adequate protein.

There is a prevalent theory with some evidence (I am not sure if it is true, but it might be) that people will be hungry until they get enough protein. If you look at food consumption trends, with protein consumption as a % declining, but in total grams staying near level while consumption of carbs and fats have increased, this could be the case. During that time, the obesity and diabetes rates have also increased.

Personally, I eat a higher than typical protein diet as compared to most LCHF as I found that is what helped me reach and maintain my goal weight while not losing strength in the gym, and for some lifts actually gaining strength. I'm 48, so gaining strength at my age given I have lifted weights since I was a teenager was a bit surprising.

The biggest thing though is eating real food. Even the "keto" and "low carb" processed foods tend to not be satiating. As for cheese, many find it hard to overeat. Yours truly included, so I have cut back significantly on my intake.
  • Sebo123
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice, I'll take it on board and stop tracking calories and eat until satisfied with the limit on carbs. Sorry, I should have mentioned I do take measurements, and this has been VERY slow, which is why I'm frustrated as I know the scale (sad step) isn't an accurate measure.
    As said before, I appreciate the advice and people's comments, it's easy to get tunnel vision on these things!
  • Sebo123
    Options
    You need to allow fat from your body to be burned so you can’t just eat all the fat you want.
    It’s not the high fat that makes it keto. It’s the low carb. The fat can come from your body.

So in the interest of research I thought I'd see what calories the ketogains calculator would give me and it dropped from region of 1300 to 1000 so based on the other comments above this would make me worse on the starvation factor?!
    Hence so much confusion with conflicting info out there.

I think I'll do as said, stick with less than 20g carbs and reach protein but not worry on the cals just eat good keto friendly food until I'm satisfied...

I'm actually off to Thailand on Saturday for 2 weeks so will be tricky but I'll certainly be picking this up on my return and ill keep you posted. Thanks again for takung the time to comment
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Since keto isn't keeping you sated,

Given the following key points:
    got a calorie intake of about 1358.
    within calories but under fat. Still hungry
    I Work out 6 times a week, fast, sometimes OMAD. Someday 500 cals
    I've been 'trying' keto since 1st Jan

I'd argue that it's not keto that's the problem with satiety, here, but an overall lack of calories.

You're working out 6 days a week and probably have a weekly deficit of far more than what's given you by the 1358 limit number.

In other words, you're hungry because you're starving yourself.

Try this for February: don't track calories. If you must track anything, track carbs (to make sure you're under your limit) and protein (to make sure you're getting enough). Do it on paper if you have to. Other than that, eat to satiety. Come March, track your intake solely to see where you naturally sit. Don't try to restrict anything for the first week of March. Get a baseline, first, then tweak from there.

Don't worry about calories at the moment. You're trying to switch to keto while maintaining a workout schedule and essentially making your body work overtime. It takes time and energy to switch to fat-burning as the primary mode (just like a factory with a sudden influx of demand, things need built and tuned to increase that capacity).

I also don't recommend putting much stock in the scale, especially during this month. If you want to track something, do not just use the scale weight. Take body measurements now, in the middle of February, and at the end, and/or try on a pair of pants that are snug. Make note of how and where they're snug. Then try them on again at the intervals above.

Eat proteins, fats, and non-starchy vegetables. Don't be afraid of fatty cuts of meat or other fatty foods (avocado and coconut are your friends). Eat the chicken skin. You don't have to add a ton of extra fat to your food as long as you eat things that are naturally fatty (don't try to live off skinless chicken breasts and plain tuna). Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satiated, but not stuffed.

I'm very much liking this advice.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Sebo123 wrote: »

So in the interest of research I thought I'd see what calories the ketogains calculator would give me and it dropped from region of 1300 to 1000 so based on the other comments above this would make me worse on the starvation factor?!

I think I'll do as said, stick with less than 20g carbs and reach protein but not worry on the cals just eat good keto friendly food until I'm satisfied...

I'm actually off to Thailand on Saturday for 2 weeks so will be tricky but I'll certainly be picking this up on my return and ill keep you posted. Thanks again for takung the time to comment

You must have entered something wrong. I can’t imagine it giving 1000 calories to someone working out. Or even not working out that isn’t only 4 feet tall.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I actually really like this calculator - it's for Leangains, but you could do TDEE - deficit to calculate a flat daily calorie target, or just do the low days without the high days depending on how steep of a deficit you pick in the options.

https://x-gains.com/MacroCalculator/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I'm with Sunny Bunny. That doesn't look right at all. What numbers are you putting in to get that result?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Since keto isn't keeping you sated,

Given the following key points:
    got a calorie intake of about 1358.
    within calories but under fat. Still hungry
    I Work out 6 times a week, fast, sometimes OMAD. Someday 500 cals
    I've been 'trying' keto since 1st Jan

I'd argue that it's not keto that's the problem with satiety, here, but an overall lack of calories.

You're working out 6 days a week and probably have a weekly deficit of far more than what's given you by the 1358 limit number.

In other words, you're hungry because you're starving yourself.

Try this for February: don't track calories. If you must track anything, track carbs (to make sure you're under your limit) and protein (to make sure you're getting enough). Do it on paper if you have to. Other than that, eat to satiety. Come March, track your intake solely to see where you naturally sit. Don't try to restrict anything for the first week of March. Get a baseline, first, then tweak from there.

Don't worry about calories at the moment. You're trying to switch to keto while maintaining a workout schedule and essentially making your body work overtime. It takes time and energy to switch to fat-burning as the primary mode (just like a factory with a sudden influx of demand, things need built and tuned to increase that capacity).

I also don't recommend putting much stock in the scale, especially during this month. If you want to track something, do not just use the scale weight. Take body measurements now, in the middle of February, and at the end, and/or try on a pair of pants that are snug. Make note of how and where they're snug. Then try them on again at the intervals above.

Eat proteins, fats, and non-starchy vegetables. Don't be afraid of fatty cuts of meat or other fatty foods (avocado and coconut are your friends). Eat the chicken skin. You don't have to add a ton of extra fat to your food as long as you eat things that are naturally fatty (don't try to live off skinless chicken breasts and plain tuna). Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satiated, but not stuffed.

LOL, for a moment, I could have believed that this was my response. :smiley:

:smiley: We've been friends for far too long!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if it's keto / reduced calories/ or low carb but my biggest question is...how do you all eat so much cheese and good stuff but stay within a restriced calorie amount??

To answer this question of your original post directly: I am conscious of the caloric load I'm consuming but it doesn't define what I eat. It works best for me personally if I focus only on restricting carb in take and allow that to define what I eat. So, if I'm still hungry but hitting my carb intake limit for the day I'm going to choose to eat a protein (maybe a lean protein if I've had a bunch of HWC or something that's heftier in calories). If I'm still hungry but haven't hit my carb intake limit I may focus on avocado or nuts, or greek yogurt etc.