New, 40 plus and looking for a healthy change!

Options
Hi, I logged back in a week ago and have been recognizing with being accountable to a tracker just why my health has declined. There is so much to live for and I'd love to experience life for many more years. If anyone wants to join me please feel free to add me to your friends list. I have recently moved for work to outback QLD, although in the world we live it dosen't matter where your from. Connection is the key to success, I hope to chat with a few of you soon 😊

Replies

• nurseflips
    nurseflips Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I started again a week ago too - first weigh in tomorrow to see how much I've lost. :) I'm in Melbourne but lived in QLD many years back (Gold Coast).
    I'm also in my 40s and wanting to get healthier. I put on about 15kgs the past 18 months through stress eating so want to remove it asap (and maybe a few extra kgs on top!)
    I'll send you a friend request. Hope others reply to your thread too and we can get a bit of support happening. :)
  • Nancy211076
    Nancy211076 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for sending request. I know where you are coming from. Time for a healthy change. I'm in the central west, so fairly isolated. This app is a great constant reminder. Its nice to connect with you. Thanks for taking a leap of faith. 😊
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 40, in NSW, tomorrow will be 1 week weigh-in for me. (Yeah: new year's resolution to get fit and lose weight). I've joined one of the other groups which runs a monthly challenge, tracking weight loss etc, though most people being based in the US I have to convert everything to lbs (yuck!). Happy to keep you company :smiley:
  • nurseflips
    Options
    Hi Luciicul! Sounds like we're all at the one week mark of our journey. :)
    Is the monthly challenge on myfitnesspal or somewhere else?
  • Nancy211076
    Options
    Hi Luciicul, great to have you join us. There probably are other groups out there in the either. I was a little overwhelmed by it all so having a new group to connect with seemed a good option. I hope you are positive about the outcome tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. 🙂
  • Luciicul
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes, a very good first week (first week’s usually are - partly water loss!)

There are lots of challenges on mfp, the one I’m doing is in the Fat To Fit weightloss group, they seem to have them every month. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-f2f-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group
  • Luciicul
    Options
    I have a lot to lose - this year weighed in the heaviest I’ve ever been (119.5kg), I dropped 1 kg before officially starting my new diet/exercise plan, and this past week I’ve lost 2.9kg, so now sitting at 115.6kg. Am looking to get down to at least under 70kg so I am no longer obese or overweight, really aiming for 65kgs which is middle of the healthy range for my height. In 2011 I was my fittest and got down to 58kgs, but I find maintenance hard, and weight just stacks on the minute I am not being really anal about calorie counting and working out every day (and life has a way of throwing a spanner in things - other things pop up to take focus off health).

How are you going?
  • nurseflips
    Options
    That's a great loss for your first week Luciicul! I also had a nice first loss of 1.9kgs which was quite a surprise!
    Maintenance is definitely hard, I hear you! I've yoyo'd with my weight all my life and the longest I've maintained at goal weight is maybe two years? This time when I get there I'm going to continue logging everything as normal as I've finally realised that these are changes I have to make for life. :)
  • Nancy211076
    Options
    So great to hear you have both been so successful this last week. I'm going well, thankyou. I am the same as you have both mentioned about yourselves. I have about 50kg to loose ideally. But with that amount to get off, I'm just taking it 5kgs at a time. Its really been a battle for a number of years. We will get there. Thanks for the link. I'll look it up 😎
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) I started back at the beginning of the year. Have a long journey ahead, the connections help a lot to keep you on track. I'm from Melbourne. Have 76kg to lose, like you I'm taking it in small weight goals.
  • nurseflips
    Options
    Hi Spacegirlley and welcome! Hope you and everyone here has had a great week and are ready to tackle another one starting tomorrow! :)
  • Nancy211076
    Options
    How'd everyone travel this week? I hope you have had many happy moments? I have had a lovely week. Part of my job has me tripping around the outback, I had a fabulous day exploring a property in western qld with the owner. We went walking around in beautiful rock gorges and explored a rangeland that is slowly being reclaimed by indigenous trees. Really unique and splendid region. Tell me about something that made you happy this week 🤗
  • Luciicul
    Options
    That sounds lovely Nancy. I hope the wild weather in QLD hasn't affected you?

Last week I attended a Bushtucker Workshop, learning more about native edible foods, which I've been wanting to do for years but not had the opportunity previously. One interesting thing I learned was how Aboriginal totems helped manage sustainability in their region. In a region where a plant or animal was rare, it would be someone's totem, and they were a custodian - looking after it and ensuring it didn't get eaten or damaged (and others would not want to harm it, as it was like harming the custodian), but in areas where the plant or animal was plentiful no one would have that as a totem and it would be fair game. It's fascinating how they found an equilibrium in how they lived in the world, and tragic that their knowledge was ignored, overridden, and at times lost during colonisation.

This week my weigh in is 114.4kg; a 1.2kg loss. Still on track!

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well too. That sounds like a good technique - to break it down into small goals. (I'm not very good at that!). But I guess the weekly weigh in kind of is my small goal, because it focuses me on reflecting not just how much I've lost (or potentially gained, as happens sometimes), but makes me think about how the last week went, did I stick to my plan, what do I intend to do this week, is there room for improvement, etc.

I am trying to create a daily exercise habit (even if it's just a walk), and I haven't mastered this yet, so that is my 'room-for-improvement' goal that I want to work on this week.
  • Nancy211076
    Options
    That's fabulous, such a unique experience learning about indigenous culture. So much to learn. I liken it to learning a new language. If you get a rare opportunity to immerse yourself in it, it's a wonderful thing. I was in primary school as were many of us where we weren't taught anything about indigenous culture. Only about Captain cook and the colonization of this country. It's a new world when you start 5o explore deeper. Thats wonderful that you are setting small goals. I have found the secret to exercise, is it simply has to be something you love. For a long time my focus was hiking, and I've been to some remarkable places from those goals. Because my weight ballooned again I have taken the bike riding lately. Its non weight bearing which is great and I'm enjoying the change. At the moment I'm only on the trainer in the house but I'm loving it. I was listening to the radio the other day, the netball associations have introduced something called walking netball which I thought sounded great. Its designed for ppl wanting to engage in team sports that might not have fitness or mobility. What sports have you loved to play in the past?