OMAD question

Hey all!!

I do IF 7 days a week, and some days, like today, I eat once (dinner) my question is, do I need to worry about getting every macro covered in that one meal? Do I need to try and reach 1200 calories? I've read conflicting information. Also keep in mind I have about 75 pounds to lose still and I read that having more weight to lose means I don't necessarily need to worry about hitting macros in the OMAD.

Any insight is appreciated!! I don't want to be doing this wrong and end up hurting my losses in the end. Thank you!! 💟

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    If you are only going to eat one meal a day, you must meet all your macro and calorie limits in that meal. If you are unable to eat that much in a single meal, OMAD is an inappropriate technique to attempt.

Per official MFP policy, you must reach 1200 calories and not eat under them.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    If you are only going to eat one meal a day, you must meet all your macro and calorie limits in that meal. If you are unable to eat that much in a single meal, OMAD is an inappropriate technique to attempt.

Per official MFP policy, you must reach 1200 calories and not eat under them.

Thank you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    fyi...some people call it OMAD even if you eat for a 2 hour time period instead of just a single meal, so if you can't eat enough in a single meal, maybe a meal, a snack, and a second meal in a small window will fit it all in.

For macros, you definitely want to get your protein in to preserve muscle mass during weight loss. You don't need to worry about getting your fat in if you are looking to metabolize fat. The average person is only capable of metabolizing about 1% body fat a week, so you can factor that in and if you are losing about 1% of your weight a week, then it's probably mostly fat. If you are losing faster than that, then it's either water (initially) or you are also likely losing muscle. Faster is not better if it is costing you strength.

Your profile says you are already working with a doctor for keto, so if you do not think you need 1200 calories based on appetite, then your doctor should be guiding that. As a general rule anything less is going to leave you without adequate nutrition long term.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    fyi...some people call it OMAD even if you eat for a 2 hour time period instead of just a single meal, so if you can't eat enough in a single meal, maybe a meal, a snack, and a second meal in a small window will fit it all in.

For macros, you definitely want to get your protein in to preserve muscle mass during weight loss. You don't need to worry about getting your fat in if you are looking to metabolize fat. The average person is only capable of metabolizing about 1% body fat a week, so you can factor that in and if you are losing about 1% of your weight a week, then it's probably mostly fat. If you are losing faster than that, then it's either water (initially) or you are also likely losing muscle. Faster is not better if it is costing you strength.

Your profile says you are already working with a doctor for keto, so if you do not think you need 1200 calories based on appetite, then your doctor should be guiding that. As a general rule anything less is going to leave you without adequate nutrition long term.

Thanks so much! I have a 3 month check in with her tomorrow and will be discussing these things with her. I was curious to know what others had to say about this prior to the appt, mainly because I'm quite impatient with learning info. lol
  • Hi folks can I chip in- why do people do one meal a day? What are the benefits ?
  • tcunbeliever
    Some people find that fasting helps control portions and cravings.

Some people fast for health reasons like increased autophagy.

I generally do 16:8 because I'm not usually hungry in the morning, so I don't eat until lunch around 1pm...but today is not one of those days, today I am super hungry and eating incessantly.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Hi folks can I chip in- why do people do one meal a day? What are the benefits ?

Fewer spikes in blood sugar each day, which allows more time burning body fat.
  • Thanks guys / sorry to jump in. Interesting do you not feel light headed and dizzy?
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Thanks guys / sorry to jump in. Interesting do you not feel light headed and dizzy?

I get hungry around 5, if I can't eat at that time I try to at least get some salt until I can eat. If not, I have to take it easy so I don't get light headed. That happens around 25 hours without food, only because that's how accustomed my body is to fasting. Don't fast too long if you get dizzy, if salt doesn't help. You have to work your way up to OMAD
  • tcunbeliever
    Dizzy and lightheaded are most likely to be from low blood sugar. You can start with a lower fasting window like 12 hours and slowly extend that so your body has some adaptation time...also, you can try something fat only like coconut oil or clarified butter to hold over your fast...there is some debate about fat consumption during fasting, and if that qualifies as an end of the fast, but it definitely doesn't cause an insulin response.