Curious - Target carbs per day?

Options
Simply because I am curious, I would love to hear how many carbs you target each day? There is a wide range of "Low carb" diets, or WOE, and I know not every kind fits every person. Just wondering how most people here handle their carb intake.

FWIW, I tend to run in the 20-30 net carbs per day, and am still slowly losing weight and feel great, without feeling terribly deprived. Not looking to make changes, just getting a feel for the norm (and maybe to help a few new members get a feel for what a low carb lifestyle really looks like.) ;)

Replies

• jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Mentally, I’ve set my target at 50, but I’m pretty new to this, and I honestly haven’t gotten near that at all in my first week. I’ve been eating about 30-35 total carbs each day.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I don't do net, I just count total carbohydrate grams consumed. I look to stay at 35g per day getting my carbs from greens, dairy and nuts.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 20 net carbs but some days I do go over.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We tend to keep it under 40g.
  • AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 23g.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Average 10-20. Many days are zero.
  • alffmfp
    alffmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Around 20 net.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don't do sugar or flour or processed food so that cuts a lot out. Then I try to stay under 30g because I still have a good bit of weight to lose. I rarely eat grains and beans for now but may add them back when I go on maintenance. I am not really sure what's next. It's a constant struggle for me to get enough calories without blowing out my carbs and protein. I am wondering how some of you who eat 20 grams a day do it. Are you subtracting your fiber?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Fivepts wrote: »
    I don't do sugar or flour or processed food so that cuts a lot out. Then I try to stay under 30g because I still have a good bit of weight to lose. I rarely eat grains and beans for now but may add them back when I go on maintenance. I am not really sure what's next. It's a constant struggle for me to get enough calories without blowing out my carbs and protein. I am wondering how some of you who eat 20 grams a day do it. Are you subtracting your fiber?

One of the years I did keto, it was a "medically therapeutic version" that was low in both carbs and protein. Mascarpone cheese and cream cheese were my go to foods for high fat, low carb, low protein.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    We are a really diverse group! It's great to see that no matter what "level" of carbs we gravitate towards, there are just benefits all around.

I love hearing about brenn24179 who has had amazing weight loss at what is the higher side of the low carb spectrum, and then we have KarlaYP who can log -0-!!

And kpk54 is spot on - a lot of weight problems are from those hyper-palatable/heavily processed foods.

Personally, my ultimate goal is maintenance at what our resident "slow carber" Sabine_Stroe is doing. I really miss my green peas! :D
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    One of the years I did keto, it was a "medically therapeutic version" that was low in both carbs and protein. Mascarpone cheese and cream cheese were my go to foods for high fat, low carb, low protein.

My reason for starting keto was medical, to see if it would help with migraines and autoimmune inflammation. Now that most of the symptoms are better and a bunch of my weight is gone I've upped my calories and protein a bit. I still don't do sugar, flour, processed foods, root veggies, corn, etc, if I can possibly avoid it as those seem to be symptom triggers for me.

This morning I did try something new to see how my body reacts - chocolate milkshake whey protein powder blended into my coffee. A minute amount of sugar and carbs in it but it sure made for a nice delicious morning beverage.

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Fivepts wrote: »

I try to stay between 20-30 total carbs per day (not net carbs), and I'm doing it mainly for BG control. Weight loss is a secondary goal. Getting the calories in without overdoing protein is simple: just add fat!
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I seem to consume about 40 but take off the fibre and it's much lower. I am around 100kg atm and walk about 8 miles a day which helps burn of any excess. Sometimes I think I have overdone it (wine or a couple of beers on a Friday night ) but I still have the smelly pee in the morning. I think everyone is different though, and you just need to figure out what works for you.