Sleep and keto

Options
I’ve always found I need quite a good carby meal to sleep well (I’m a rubbish sleeper). In the past if o haven’t eaten enough before bed I haven’t slept well. I’m not one of these I fasted and slept the best I ever have. I can guarantee if I fast led for a day I would be up all night.

So my question is once in ketosis (if anyone is a light sleeper) do you sleep well?

Replies

• d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am a really light sleeper, and once I got fat adapted that all changed. I fall asleep so much faster now and prefer to not have eaten close to bedtime. In the past, I couldn't fall asleep if I hadn't eaten in several hours - I felt like I was starving. Now, it's best when it's been 4+ hours since I ate, and I drift right off. The key is becoming fat adapted, at least it was for me. Just getting into ketosis did help, but I felt the real benefits after several weeks and I had become fat adapted. That's just my experience, but when you've been running on a high carb diet, your body is programmed for that and may take you some time to adjust to a different metabolic state.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i can't comment on this from a light sleeper point of view, but from one that makes the dead look alive, keto has helped me do better about waking up. it has been harder for me to fight my circadian rhythm (night owl); but when i win, i am able to get up much easier. (still actually a log while asleep; but recover faster. and tend not to have as many pains moving once i get up.)
    hopefully you see some positive spins once you are able to finish fat adaption, as mentioned by @d_dc_lady
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I’m able to make it on less sleep versus what I used to require when I was a sugar burner. I would sleep ten hours and still feel tired and since Keto/ZC 6-7 hours and I’m wide awake without feeling deprived of sleep.

But I’ve never felt good going to bed with food on my stomach.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had disrupted sleep weeks 3-6 but then settled pretty well. Usually the issue is needing a pee around 4am from all the water. Now I can get back to sleep immediately instead of lying awake for 2 hours.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I sleep much better. I have a fitbit so it's been interesting to see the difference. I stay asleep for longer periods of time and move around less. I have really weird dreams though, but that's not so bad.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For christmans i got a weighted blanket and its awesome. I am a restless sleeper for sure. My wife got this blanket to keep my *kitten* still lol.

I love it. I sleep a straight 6-8 hours now "which i never ever did." It seems to keep me grounded and relaxed. Now all my girls have them and love them.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I want one of these! I keep hearing about them and think I would love one!
    Longshore wrote: »
    For christmans i got a weighted blanket and its awesome. I am a restless sleeper for sure. My wife got this blanket to keep my *kitten* still lol.

I love it. I sleep a straight 6-8 hours now "which i never ever did." It seems to keep me grounded and relaxed. Now all my girls have them and love them.

• FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit over a month in and while I'm averaging an hour less a night, I'm sleeping like a ROCK. And waking up feeling rested. I'll take it!!
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Interesting guys - looking into the weighted blanket I can see my kids loving that! Fasting definitely causes insomnia for me too to be honest I haven’t given myself long enough on keto to know if this insomnia thing wears off..
  • fatsork
    fatsork Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I tend to get by on fewer hours of sleep since going keto in 2016. I WILL say, I have gone through periods with very vivid dreams that I correctly or incorrectly attributed to the diet. Sometimes when waking up from one of these dreams, I have not been able to go back to sleep.

I have never had a problem getting to sleep - pre or post keto. I seem to have lost the feeling of fatigue. A keto denier would say this is because I lost weight, although I experienced this after starting keto before having made much progress with weight goals.

I did go for another sleep study and I had my CPAP pressure reduced.

Interesting you say that i wonder if there is a link between keto and vivid dreams iv had the same 🤔
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Is that because you’re having lighter sleep I wonder 🤔
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    fatsork wrote: »

Interesting you say that i wonder if there is a link between keto and vivid dreams iv had the same 🤔

I claim yes. There have been other threads on this, and it seems to be somewhat common.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @fatsork and @2t9nty i think that makes me even more happy that i do not dream (or at least not that i can remember)
  • m1kk1
    m1kk1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I tend to get by on fewer hours of sleep since going keto in 2016. I WILL say, I have gone through periods with very vivid dreams that I correctly or incorrectly attributed to the diet. Sometimes when waking up from one of these dreams, I have not been able to go back to sleep.

I have never had a problem getting to sleep - pre or post keto. I seem to have lost the feeling of fatigue. A keto denier would say this is because I lost weight, although I experienced this after starting keto before having made much progress with weight goals.

I did go for another sleep study and I had my CPAP pressure reduced.

Count me in too. It used to be rare that I recalled dreaming at all but now I remember parts of them every night. 💤
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    m1kk1 wrote: »

Count me in too. It used to be rare that I recalled dreaming at all but now I remember parts of them every night. 💤

My theory is that i is an indication of improved sleep, and mental activity is probably better than no mental activity. I claim we are processing things as we sleep - working out issues when we dream. This is a good thing.
  • cl0377
    cl0377 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one having weird dreams! I've always been a dreamer, but lately its getting bizarre... I'm also a shift worker and was having such a hard time sleeping for my night shifts, but for the last couple weeks I've been sleeping great during the day!
    I sleep much better. I have a fitbit so it's been interesting to see the difference. I stay asleep for longer periods of time and move around less. I have really weird dreams though, but that's not so bad.

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    d_dc_lady wrote: »
    I am a really light sleeper

Same and I wish I could say that the dietary changes helped but they haven't. I'm also in so much discomfort that nothing short of heavy painkillers and muscle relaxers is going to help and I don't really want to go through all the hassle of that. Plus, without health coverage it's expensive. In addition I don't like the side effects of those meds. :/