Replies

• Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful comments.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I aim for 20 grams (not net) but I don't sweat it if I go a few over. Usually 1 day a week, I don't track so probably am higher that day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My first year or so was under 20g on most days. Only the first 6 months was losing and the rest was maintenance.

I then increased my carbs but that led to eating more and a bit of weight regain. I can't moderate carbs and calories.

Then I switched to mostly carnivore in the spring and started re losing weight without trying. My upper carb limit is 5g now. I do get some carbs but not much. Today had a bit of tomato sauce on my meat. On the weekend I had a few slices of bread cucumbers. Its close to none, and its been surprising how good that feels for me.

This board is great for how accepting of what cards work best for various people. Refreshing!
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    12-15 g total carbs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 0g, but a pretty firm limit of 5g (total, never net). And, most days I hit 0g. If I am above zero, it is cheese or eggs that does it to me.
  • cooked2
    cooked2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The usual target of 20 grams that is usually cited was established as a level at which everyone could be certain of going into ketosis. There are various online calculators that take into account your weight, sex, exercise level, and other things, that come up with suggestions for your macros. I did a few of these and settled on 27 gm carbs, fat 75%, protein 20% as well as 1900 kCal. I believe that we have too little information concerning protein levels, too much is to be avoided apparently.
    After breakfast and lunch, I still have 10 gm carbs left today and I shall, exceptionally, buy a small beer (13 gm carbs)
    Don't forget to subtract fibre from the total carbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think the higher protein levels are only avoided for people trying to do therapeutic ketosis (like treating seizures) or possibly T2D. I have not seen any evidence that higher protein levels are to be avoided by any other groups...I try to keep mine as high as possible, it doesn't seem to impact the migraine control aspects of keto.

Though, I'm curious if others have limited protein for specific reasons based on their results.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I don't limit protein - my usual goal is at least 150 grams a day and some days I go as high as 200 grams. Hasn't had any noticeable effect on my results.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    No issues with protein as a T2D at least on my end and I hit 175g-250g a day of protein.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I have a goal of 0g, but a pretty firm limit of 5g (total, never net). And, most days I hit 0g. If I am above zero, it is cheese or eggs that does it to me.

I admire anyone who can do this. I love meat but I also love my green veggies, cheeses, and eggs too much to be able to give them up unless it was absolutely necessary.

Also, just realized we live in the same area code. I'm between Daytona & Orlando.
    I think the higher protein levels are only avoided for people trying to do therapeutic ketosis (like treating seizures) or possibly T2D. I have not seen any evidence that higher protein levels are to be avoided by any other groups...I try to keep mine as high as possible, it doesn't seem to impact the migraine control aspects of keto.

Though, I'm curious if others have limited protein for specific reasons based on their results.

I started with limited protein per my Dr but increased it at the start of the year as a bunch of the weight has dropped off and the migraines and inflammation have mostly subsided. My migraines were at a point that they daily and almost seizure like in intensity. I was, quite frankly, stuck in the house 95% of the time and generally had to keep the lighting low and the blinds drawn most of the time as I never knew when the migraines would flare up and I'm ultra sensitive to lights. Now I only get one when exposed to a trigger and only moderate in intensity. But I am still taking a preventative med as well along with the dietary changes.

As for the low protein and fairly low calorie at the beginning I have several lifelong health issues and my quality of life was starting to get bad so a radical change was needed. Just being able to sit at my desk with the window open to get some fresh air and type out a few lines without being in absolute agony is nice. I still have a ton of pain and I still get fatigued easily but at least I can do things around the house now.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don't limit my protein, I try to hit 100g at a minimum.

ETA: Very unscientific on my part as I've just realized it. I'm going to track to see if it's true but when I'm in loss mode, it seems I lose faster if my protein grams are higher. (when everything else is static)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

I admire anyone who can do this. I love meat but I also love my green veggies, cheeses, and eggs too much to be able to give them up unless it was absolutely necessary.

Also, just realized we live in the same area code. I'm between Daytona & Orlando.

It sounds weird, but I love vegetables. I used to be a vegetarian. It is just that my body doesn't love them. I found that removing them was worth it for me.

We're close geographically. I will probably drive through your area this weekend on my way to Disney with the family. :smile:
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but I love vegetables. I used to be a vegetarian. It is just that my body doesn't love them. I found that removing them was worth it for me.

Not weird at all. It took twenty years of seeing doctors to figure out I've got autoimmune problems. Most dismissed me completely and said I was making everything it up. It was only after other family members started developing similar issues and finding out there's a family history of autoimmune diseases that I was finally taken seriously. But alas the damage was already done.

And now apparently my body doesn't or maybe never did tolerate carbs and sugars and it was causing some of issues.

Disney sounds like fun, have a good one!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I try to stay under 20 net. Today was a 0 carb day. Yesterday was 15. My protein goal is 175 g, and I meet or exceed that "most" of the time.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set at 50. Mostly I don't get that high. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I have pizza and still stay under (thin crust, lol).
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I shoot for 30g of carbs and 60g of protein. I almost always go over on protein. I love meat. But lately, I am finding that my weight loss rate is slowing down. I am getting closer to where my body tends to plateau, though it's still too heavy due to back and ankle issues.

mmultanen, it's interesting that you find you lose more when eating more protein. I was wondering if it were the opposite. Maybe I actually am gaining some muscle at the gym.
  • influencingangel
    influencingangel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 weeks into learning about keto lifestyle. So far I love it. I stay at 30 carbs and occasionally go over..but alot days I barely have 16..I lost 14 pounds and I am so happy ..I have a coke zero every morning along with bullet proof octine oil, fiber, omega 3 and probiotics.. the octine oil has been worth every penny..i never was much on sweets except cake..that's the hardest thing to not want but I'm doing it...I also miss potatoes the worst and pasta..other than that I love it..I think just trying to stay as low on carbs as I can is working for..I always look at it like this..the average person consumes 225 to 325 carbs a day and 17 tsp of sugar..
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    So far this month I’ve averaged about 96 total grams of carbs a day and about 110 grams of protein. My diet is primarily vegetables and meat/fish with an occasional processed carb treat. I’d like to drop the carbs more and see if I drop any pounds but at this point I seem to be adding muscle more than anything.