Living the Lifestyle (LTL), Thursday, 02/21/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,301 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for February are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - gadgetgirlIL (Regina)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - jerdtrmndone (Jerry)

Today's Topic: How educated are you?

How educated are you with regard to weight loss science, nutrition, health? Is this something you put specific effort into; or, do you just follow the mechanics and go by intuition? Are there areas that you wish you knew more about, and what do you plan to do about that? Lastly, how important is it to be educated with regard to health and nutrition?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    When I started WW, I knew nearly nothing about it, WW that is. I was expecting to WI in front of everybody. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the WW website had a Science Center. I spent considerable time there. It convinced me that WW was at least trying to back their claims with science.

At that point I decided that going forward I was going to take advice from 2 places- WW and my Dr. everything else I was going to tune out.

To answer the question, not very educated at all. I’ve got my system and it works for me. My diet is mostly lean protein and fresh fruit, veggies and oatmeal. I don’t know what else there is to know. Not planning to look into it.

But I do know this- the diet and fitness misinformation, disinformation, fake news and clickbait will drive you mad if you let it. It’s a jungle.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,103 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    As a scientist by nature and while performing my medical research I was (still am) a "devout sceptic" by nature. Strangely it was a high school teacher who hit the nail on the head for me stating "the conclusions you jump to may be your own". In general, studies try to keep the variables down so that they are only studying a single one and not multivariate in nature. It is also nigh impossible to do the types of nutritional studies we would like to do because of extreme hardship and costs. Ideally we would confine people to a hospital setting where we could measure all input and outputs,all foods,liquids, waste products as well as to have measurements of the exhalation gasses from the lungs while having them performed measured activity on treadmills. This was done on a handful of people in one study but cost millions of dollars and the number of participants was extremely low.

I am educated in reading labels which helps me make balanced choices. Honestly in my view most of "weight loss science" is at best in its infancy.

Some folks believe leptin resistance can be reversed with dietary changes although the combination of diet and activity hasn't really been looked at.
    Apparently in some folks weight loss helps in this regard too.

While I don't sugar foods I don't avoid them altogether. Our bodies use glucose as the primary source of energy in all our cells. Endurance athletes do great consuming 70% of their diet as carbs and many normally active folks do great with around 50%.

I just eat a balanced diet and I like kale as part of that.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Many aspects of weight management, nutrition and how the body responds to exercise were part of the curriculum of my M.S. in Clinical Exercise Physiology that I earned in 2007. But even before starting that program of study, I was pretty well read. My father used to subscribe to the Turfs Health & Nutrition Letter and I read that monthly.

The Tufts newsletter's lead story this month is "Why the low-fat diet failed". Yep. I certainly got suckered in by the lowfat craze. Remember those Snackwell cookies? I ate a lot of them in the early 90's. I started to get more educated about nutrition and exercise around 2001.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,020 Member
    Options
    When I started WW I read everything I could get my hands on. Then I slacked off. I still do my best to read and educate myself a much a possible. I find in the weight education department there are a lot of discrepancies from one topic to another. One day low fat is the thing next day it's low carbs next day it's balanced diet calories vs points and the list goes on.

A wise Goadie once said eat less kcals than you burn and guess what you'll lose weight. I think when you through every diet in the same tub you'll eventually come to this conclusion eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think I'm pretty well-educated. Once I started WW, I got increasingly interested in the "science" behind it...only to find out that the "science" is eat less than you burn! Ha ha, big revelation. Of course, as a scientist, I still try to read up on various studies and things, and it turns out (as said above), most of it is pretty easy to pick apart.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I really had no idea how to lose weight until WW's. Use to eat a lot of fiber and low calories that worked for a while. Really didn't know you need to eat to lose but in moderation. I have a plan working in small steps not to overwhelm myself.