Keto Beginner

Options
Hi Friends,

I am 2 weeks into keto and in moderate ketosis. The first week I shockingly lost 7lbs however this week I'm back up 3.4lbs. Is this normal to jump that much week to week? Also, do you have any suggestions to increase the state of ketosis your in?

I appreciate your feedback.

Replies

• CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people expect teh scale to keep on dropping. The first 1-2 weeks is mostly water loss. Once you're in the ketozone, keeping those carbs under 20, you probably rehydrated naturally a bit. If you're macros are good - 65-70% fat, 5% carbs, 25-30% protein, keeping the total carbs under 20-25g, the ketosis and weightloss should follow under ideal circumstances of time and effort. Body chemical issues, hormonal issues, insulin issues, stress, life, etc.. it can all cause stuff to slow down. The best thing I've found is listening to what my body is craving and adjust, while keeping long term with my thinking. It's life changes we're looking for, not short term loss.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    mschelle22 wrote: »
    Hi Friends,

I am 2 weeks into keto and in moderate ketosis. The first week I shockingly lost 7lbs however this week I'm back up 3.4lbs. Is this normal to jump that much week to week? Also, do you have any suggestions to increase the state of ketosis your in?

I appreciate your feedback.

I would add that the only benefits to a 'deeper' state of ketosis occur for those who are doing ketosis for medical reasons (seizure control or other neurological issues, etc). If you are doing keto for weight loss, any sign of being in ketosis is enough - deeper ketosis does not mean faster weight loss.
  • admckee486
    admckee486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good luck and welcome to keto! I started on it about 3 1/2 months ago, and I feel it’s working well for me. I hope you experience the same.
    I DEFINITELY notice my scale jumping up and down. For me it always has to do with water. After tracking daily for so long I can somewhat predict the change, and that helps because I know it’s not fat causing a weight increase.
    A few examples - if I eat a salty meal for dinner I can almost guarantee my weight is up the next morning. Alcohol and coffee make my weight go down due to dehydration. After a day or two my weight goes back down to ‘normal.’
    I hope you are able to determine the cause of scale jumping for you. Have a good night!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    There will be scale fluctuations forever. Hormones, water, medications, enough sodium, not enough sodium, any number of things can cause the scale to be more of a roller coaster ride than a ski slope. Don’t ever expect it to always be a downward trend.

Take your measurements, and take pictures regularly for comparison. Tbhere will be many weeks when those will be your motivation because the scale does this trickery again.

Moderate ketosis is like being a little pregnant. You’re still pregnant, and nothing you do will make you more pregnant. So a higher number of ketones won’t change the amoutyof weight loss it’s only an indicator that you’re burning fat for energy, which is awesome!!

Hang in there, and read everything here you can, especially about the electrolytes up there at the top of the page! This is vital information to being successful! Hugs to you!!