Keto followers...

Options
amring
amring Posts: 21 Member
What do you do when you go on holiday? Do you go all out and enjoy? (If so how much would you gain?) Or do you make keto choices? I'm going on a 2 week trip to NYC and haven't decided what to do!! (I mean common they have the best unhealthy food ever!!) I've been on keto for 2 months now and I'm in my lowest weight ever!! Tough decision...

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you have been strict keto for 2 months you should be at minimum in the beginning stages of being fat adapted so with all the walking you will be doing your body will likely just burn it off regardless if you are reasonable with the intake. You might not even want a lot of the junk foods after the first meal or two regardless. There are always hacks: Order two slices of NY pizza and dump the cheese/toppings from 1 of the slices on top of a single slice to keep the bread down while getting all the cheese.

I'd low carb it for the trip vs keto levels but that is just me but I follow a WOE of cycling between keto carb levels and low carb levels depending on the month and it is easy to get back into the Keto level when ready.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually stay low-carb, but not always keto levels...I do tend to indulge in alcohol and sometimes carby treats like a local bakery. I definitely don't eat just any carbs, it needs to be something I consider "worth it" like a really highly recommended thing that I can't get in everyday life and even then I try to limit it to just once or twice over the course of a vacation.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I would try and keep my alcohol to lower carb choices like vodka lime soda water. Maybe 1 meal a day higher carb whether it be breakfast one day then supper another night? that way you are not going overboard for every meal and feeling grose by the end of the first week.
  • mrsskinny629
    mrsskinny629 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been back at this WOE for 8 weeks. If I were going on vacation, I would continue to choose keto or low carb options. If I'm honest, it's a WOE so I'm not going to conform just because I'm on vacation or it's a special event. I need to learn to adapt to my new lifestyle, so staying on track would be best for me. I would stick to the low carb/keto options for alcohol if you're a drinker. Good luck on your journey!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise in December and had some alcohol options on a couple of days. Did two meals of the trip that would be considered higher carb, but overall would still be a low carb/mostly Keto week. I wouldn’t want to blow out the carbs a ruin the trip with a migraine!
  • figyello
    figyello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If the food is amazing, I'd eat it. For instance, I would not pass up a croissant if I went to France. To me it's part of the experience. But like others have said, don't just blow it on something that's not worth it.
  • amring
    amring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @qweck3 - thanks for your reply! Have another question (not directly related to my holiday). There's a lot of information on water gain when people go over the carb limit (i.e binge on carbs). What about going over calorie limit but still keeping carbs below 10- 20g will the consequences be as bad? I have read on some websites there's not even a need to calorie count on keto diet as you're most likely to eat fewer calories. Just wanted to know your opinion as I have read a few posts from you in different forums and you know about keto way more than me!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    amring wrote: »
    @qweck3 - thanks for your reply! Have another question (not directly related to my holiday). There's a lot of information on water gain when people go over the carb limit (i.e binge on carbs). What about going over calorie limit but still keeping carbs below 10- 20g will the consequences be as bad? I have read on some websites there's not even a need to calorie count on keto diet as you're most likely to eat fewer calories. Just wanted to know your opinion as I have read a few posts from you in different forums and you know about keto way more than me!

If I consistently eat over my calorie limit I will get what I've always gotten-fat. If I consistently eat over on carbs but not calories, I'll just retain water until I drop my carbs back. I seem to have to eat a 100+ grams of carbs a few days in a row to start retaining water. I think we all may have different degrees of carb sensitivity. Some people can eat a small cookie and bloat or get sick. Not me.

The reason many say one doesn't have to count calories on keto is because keto tends to curb the appetite of many so they eat less without trying and lose weight. It is the old "eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not" approach. That works for me...sometimes.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I keep carbs under 20 net, but I don't especially watch calories or the protein/fat macros. I log, but just watching carbs means that I can eat some peanuts or pepperoni slices off the appetizer table and not have to worry about anything else. I typically stay constant with the weight. I have been keto since October 2016, so I am pretty acclimated.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I just spent 2 weeks at an all inclusive resort in Cuba. Stayed low carb the entire time. Not keto but low carb was easy. Pick one meal a day as your treat and keep it small. For me I focussed on getting my good bacon/sausage and eggs breakfast, lunch was often skipped or was fried seafood and veggies with oil and vinegar dressing at a backyard food server, suppers were meats, stir fries, very small servings of rice and beans. Desserts on resort: not worth it aside from some yum rice pudding that sucked me in twice, I had brought some 90% dark chocolate and stored them in our mini fridge and that was my sweet fix. Drinks were rum mixed with sofa water or diet cola. Twice we bought peanut brittle from street vendors, very high carb, and I had real mohitos twice, but it was doable. My calories were high the whole trip(so many new cheeses and sausage to choose from) but I got back a week ago up 6lbs and it is mostly gone already.

If you keep your carby servings small, and think low carb and not keto you should be fine.
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do my best to stay Keto, but I do allow myself a special treat or 2 if it’s something I’ve always loved. My tastes have changed so much though that some fruit with a cafe latte is heaven now. Fruit tastes like candy and I can taste the sweetness of the milk in the latter and enjoy the balance of the sweet and bitter. I just go right back to making Keto choices for the next meal. Now...if it’s chips and guacamole...all bets are off!