Living the Lifestyle ~ Tuesday, February 26th, 2019

Options
gadgetgirlIL
gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for February are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - gadgetgirlIL (Regina)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - jerdtrmndone (Jerry)

Today's Topic: Ultra Processed Foods

Consider this recent blog post by Yoni Freedhoof (Weighty Matters):

"Groundbreaking New Study On Ultra-Processed Foods Provides Possible Causal Smoking Gun For Our Global Obesity Struggles"

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2019/02/groundbreaking-new-study-on-ultra.html

Think back to your pre LTL days as compared to now. How much do you think your consumption of Ultra-Processed foods has changed, if at all.

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I read the description of ultra-processed foods, but I'm not totally sure I can define them. With that said, I'm sure I eat more "natural" foods since starting WW. One of the things I remember from when I started WW was that they emphasized "stretching" your points out and looking for foods that are less "point-dense" than others. This fit well with the Volumetrics book I read, which emphasized the same sort of thing.

My impression of ultraprocessed foods is that they are likely more efficient calorie carriers (i.e., they are more calorically-dense). If I want to feel like I've actually eaten something, it's better if there's some volume to it. That's why I'm not really a fan of Power-bars and things like that. They have a lot of calories, and are great if your out hiking in the wilderness and want calories in a small physical space of your backpack. However, they're not particularly filling (in my opinion) and so are the wrong types of foods for me.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I certainly relied heavily on frozen dinners, canned soups, fast food meals, etc. when I was obese. I didn't often take the time to cook things from scratch.

Now the majority of what I eat I have cooked myself. I certainly still do rely heavily on what would be considered ultra processed foods on my long bike rides. But that is due to the need to have calorie dense food that is easy to carry on 12+ hour rides. I do enjoy getting back to my regular mix of foods when the rides are over!
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    For me, fast food (or take out) was more of a smoking gun prior to WW.
    I never liked boxed food much.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    When I am living the lifestyle, I definitely eat way more foods from around the edges of the grocery store. I do use them for an occasional 'treat' (kinda hate that word, I sound like a dog). I'll eat a fig Newton (I can stop at 1, unlike chips ahoy) and for salty Grooves, pita chips, or potato chips. I try to keep most foods fresh or frozen.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Mine has changed quit a lot. Even though I still have more at times than I should It's a lot more under control, Ice cream for one. I was eating it every day probably 2 cups a day. Know half cup one day a wk. and I don't really miss eating all that I did.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Think back to your pre LTL days as compared to now. How much do you think your consumption of Ultra-Processed foods has changed, if at all.

I'd say a moderate amount. I was never a real frequent-flyer of UPFs, but there were definitely more of them in my diet than there are now. I can probably count on one hand the number of fast-food meals I've had in the last couple years, for example. That number pales in comparison to the number of them I ate a few years ago when on an annual basis it was probably about two dozen, maybe more.

The question has me thinking about other things though: protein bars, for example. Contrary to fast food, I've consumed more of those in the past couple years (Quest, in various flavors) than I did prior to WW. Part of it is convenience in the field, but part of it is that they are relatively high in protein and low in points. That said, I'm guessing they would fall into the author's definition of UPF, no?

At the end of the day, I suspect there's more UPF in my diet now than I realize but less than there used to be. It doesn't strike me as a game-changer because back in the day, I think my biggest contributor to my weight was eating too much overall, not necessarily just UPFs.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,020 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    When DW and I got married 30 years ago this coming August she took me off all canned foods and quick meals. She cooked everything fresh and still does. I haven't had a can of green beans or canned vegetable since we married. I'm sure I've gotten some out in a restuarant somewhere and boy I can tell it. We actively stay away from any processed food if at all possible.

Again it's the portions and what I eat that gets me in trouble.